PDA

View Full Version : Does .22 ammo get to old? Reasons for duds?

hawkeye
12-26-2010, 9:41 AM
I was at the range a while ago and had 5 out of 10 duds in the magazine. I was using CCI Blazer High Velocity .22. I thought that maybe I just had a bad batch, so I switch to Rem HPs yet had an average of 2 duds per mag. I thought it could be the gun, but I shot it through three rimfires, then borrowed my lane neighbors two .22s and encountered the same problem.

Is there any reason for this? Is there any .22 ammo you can count on to go boom every time? Never had a dud with a center fire....

WDE91
12-26-2010, 9:47 AM
I think if it is stored correctly there isnt really alot to worry about
duds do happen with rimfire whether it is new or old

Jeepers
12-26-2010, 9:49 AM
yup storage is key, avoid moisture and oil , dont load a mag and oils it up if you want boom 6 months later ...

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 6:37 PM
maybe throw in one of those "Do Not Eat" preservation things?

riflem16a4
12-27-2010, 6:41 PM
if you are using remington ammo then that is junk and garbage i used it on my 10-22 and my 12 gauge alot of duds. now i use winchester and federal. but i had cci ammo from the 70,s and had some duds since it has been stored away in a long time.

Seesm
12-27-2010, 6:59 PM
Just seems like luck of the draw... for sure keep it away from solvents and such...

hawkeye
12-27-2010, 7:18 PM
Seesm, J&B, riflem16a4, Jeepers, and Bjkearns.... Thanks for the tips so far....

Does anyone have a preference of whats the best .22 ammo? I don't really mean bricks, rather is there any more expensive 50rd packs of .22 that are above average? Wildcat? SUPER-X?

shadow65
12-27-2010, 7:22 PM

I seal mine in those Planter's Nuts plastic containers with the screw on lids. Throw in a few desicant packs and it will keep for a long time.

kmca
12-27-2010, 7:59 PM
Seesm, J&B, riflem16a4, Jeepers, and Bjkearns.... Thanks for the tips so far....

Does anyone have a preference of whats the best .22 ammo? I don't really mean bricks, rather is there any more expensive 50rd packs of .22 that are above average? Wildcat? SUPER-X?

Depends on your particular gun. My 22/45 likes Federal bulk, 10/22's like Remington Golden Bullet, 1911 likes Federal. CCI mini mags seem to work in just about everything.

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 7:59 PM
If you're talking the varmit/anti-flesh rounds, CCI Velocitors combine a standard 40 gr. copper coated HP with propellent that somehow gets a good ~1450 fps.

Accuracy wise I'd never buy the stuff but Federal UltraMatch costs 31 cents per bullet so it must be good!
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/59187

JAvendan
12-27-2010, 8:01 PM
i recently, 2 weeks ago, shot my 10/22 that my dad bought for me 28 years ago...

i also had the remington ammo that was roughly the same age and no problems.

i agree that storage is key.

joel

WDE91
12-27-2010, 9:57 PM
The best .22lr ammo depends on the need that must be met
what is the goal and price point and go from there

plinking, target, hunting, high speed, low speed, Hollow point, round nose

some would say the best .22 is a good bulk box of cheap plinking ammo
some say the best ammo is $20 per 50rds Eley Texex

iareConfusE
12-27-2010, 10:26 PM

CCI Minimags. But I don't see the point unless you're shooting matches or you're forced to buy that ammo from the range for their rental guns. Federal bulk works for me. Rimfire duds can be many things. Moisture ruining the cartridge is one. The other really common problem with bulk rimfire ammunition is that the primer doesn't evenly spread around the rim, leaving pockets of air. When the pin strikes this part of the rim, nothing happens as there isn't any primer there to be ignited. Simple fix is to extract the round and place it back in the chamber with a fresh spot on the rim positioned where the firing pin strikes. This almost always works for me. I've only ever had one real dud that wouldn't go off no matter what I tried.

You get what you pay for, and for just a couple malfunctions in hundreds of rounds of cheap rimfire ammo, I won't be one to complain.

gasol1ne
12-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Couple of years ago i found a box of 50 or so .22 magnums that my grandpa bought in the 70's and all but 3 fired.

BitterOldMan
12-28-2010, 9:38 AM
The quality control on 22 lr has really dropped over the last several years. I shot 30-year old Remington lead ammo out of my Ruger Mk II and did not experience a single failure. Today, I would never buy another box of Remington Golden Bullets. I had some new Winchester bulk with the bullets set at 75 degrees.

shadow65
12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I have had good results from the Winchester 333 and 555 bulk from Walmart. Acuracy wasn't bad. I was shooting 1.2" at 50 yards with a CMMG M4 LE .22 and a 4x scope.

SVT_Fox
12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

this is what I do with all my stuff, even have HUGE ones in the bottom of the safe!

iareConfusE
12-28-2010, 2:23 PM
this is what I do with all my stuff, even have HUGE ones in the bottom of the safe!

Every safe or gun cabinet should have some sort of dessicant in it. You can buy silica gel kitty litter. It's all the same stuff - silica gel, just in a huge bottle. I packed the silica gel inside of a small cardboard box and punched a bunch of holes in the box for the moisture to enter. I'm not actually sure if this was a good method, as the silica gel wasn't exposed as much as I would have liked, but the concept in theory is perfect.

Tythagoras
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
"Best" is rather subjective. Your gun will like some ammo for feed and function, and some for precision. If you have a good deal of luck, you will find ammo that is precise, reliable, and inexpensive. But that's a fairly rare combination.

I shoot CZ 452s (several variants) primarily, but I also have an old Marlin 25 (actually, my girlfriend's, but I shoot it when she's not looking).

My favorite inexpensive cartridges are CCI Blazer, and Federal 510.

My favorite intermediate cost cartridges are SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Target (supposedly the same ammo in different packaging). Also, Federal 711B is a good value from a precision per dollar perspective.

RWS Target Rifle made a nickel-sized group one day at 100 yards (10 shots), but at $60/500rds, I can't afford to shoot it much.

Worst is well-defined, it even has a name. Remington. I'm only half-joking, virtually every dud I've ever had (hundreds, that is) was stamped 'Rem'.

Charlie50
12-29-2010, 8:51 PM
In my opinion, 22 rimfire seem more subject to moisture and humidity than centerfire amumition. The bullet to case seal can easilly be damaged, breached by rough handling. You can wiggle a bullet free from the case with your fingers - try doing that with a center fire. It can be done but its harder. The typical failure to fire for me has involved using cartridges that were loose, roughly handled in a damp enviorment... a wet pants pocket is the worst. The cartridges get tweaked around in your pocket and you combine that with a rainy, sweaty, humid day. Other than that .22s seem pretty dependable... oh they don't like oil much either. "Keep yer powder dry pilgrim"

Southpaw45
12-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Next time you get a dud, rotate the round 180 degrees and rechamber. Try to fire it again and chances are it will go off. Im another shooter who will never buy Remington 22 ammo again. I was having a lot of misfires and rotating the round in the chamber seemed to work. I ended up pulling the bullets on some Remington rounds that didnt go off. Low and behold I find the priming mixture didnt go all the way around the inside of the rim. I now shoot mostly Federal Walmart bulk and havent had a dud yet. "Knock On Wood"

Ergo the Qualmed
12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
From my experience, CCI minimag has never failed me; no FTF or FTE or Squibbing or anything. Remington on the other hand... /evilstuff

Mail Clerk
12-31-2010, 7:42 AM
I was at the range a while ago and had 5 out of 10 duds in the magazine. I was using CCI Blazer High Velocity .22. I thought that maybe I just had a bad batch, so I switch to Rem HPs yet had an average of 2 duds per mag. I thought it could be the gun, but I shot it through three rimfires, then borrowed my lane neighbors two .22s and encountered the same problem.

Is there any reason for this? Is there any .22 ammo you can count on to go boom every time? Never had a dud with a center fire....

hawkeye,

Regardless of the brand 22LR's are mass produced hundred at one time so in the process dud are always possible. I've always had good results using CCI ammo including the inexpensive "Blazer" version which I much prefer compared to it's more expensive brother "Mini-Mag".

Remington ammo has been known for years to be iffy but generally I found it to be just as good as any other brand. Now Remington ammo is made by another Brithish company that makes excellent target ammo. I forgot who they were but again Remington ammo is fine.

My buddy who has passed away has always liked Federal ammo. He told me it's been very reliable for him so try some and see what you think.

Mail Clerk

Tythagoras
12-31-2010, 2:11 PM
Mail Clerk,

Only the three types of Rem ammo marked as made by Eley are made by Eley. (They are excellent, but more expensive than the Eley-branded cartridges) Remington and Aguila bought some of the old Eley equipment, so they made the claim that they were Eley primed. I've taken apart some duds of the "Eley primed" cartridges and found no priming compound at all, so Eley equipment with Remington quality control still gives you Remington ammo.

Your late friend had good taste in ammunition, Federal cartridges have always been good to me.

Reboot
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM

Super-X is the ammo that I ALWAYS get the most duds per box. I don't know why I keep buying it every once in awhile. I think it's because I want to see if it's gotten any better but over 10 years and it's the same. Blazer ammo has been almost as bad for me. I've had very good (low or no duds per box) results with CCI Mini mags, Armscor (cheap and goes bang) and Remington Thunderbolt ammo. I don't think I've run into any Armscor duds and I've gone through a couple of bricks. Eley and SK have also been very reliable with low dud counts. I keep them on my "buy again" list also.

Reboot
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I've had my best results (accuracy) with the Eley match & RWS ammunition. They Aguila Match isn't bad either.

Javi
01-06-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm loving CCI Minimags and Winchester Super-X (round nose)

mif_slim
01-06-2011, 9:46 AM
moisture is the enemy for 22LR. I went hunting in WI and took a 22lr out to varmints. it was either humid or raining. 1st day the ammo was okay. Shot fine, second day, duds were about 10% per mag, 3rd day about 40% duds, 4th day it was every other round was duds. I kept it in a bag but with the moisture floating around and day in and out straight raining it must of gotten soak somehow and killed most ammo.

I had the same experiance 12 years ago during a CA hunt in the snow/rain. about 25% duds and we were out hunting for 3 days.

So yes, I would say storage is key to keeping it running good. keep it cool and dry as possible.