PDA

View Full Version : v-bob vs sig 220 elite

troyJPX
12-26-2010, 8:28 AM
Which is a better carry pistol? dan wesson v-bob or sig saure 220 dark elite ?

Thnx,
Troy

jdg30
12-26-2010, 8:49 AM
Either would be a high quality carry gun if you want to carry something that big. Just keep in mind that if you ever used it in a shooting that the expensive high quality gun is probably going to be confiscated.

NapaCountyShooter
12-26-2010, 8:53 AM
Personally I'd go with the DW. That bob is pretty handy for concealment and it's going to be thinner than the Sig.

fullrearview
12-26-2010, 9:05 AM
Either would be a high quality carry gun if you want to carry something that big. Just keep in mind that if you ever used it in a shooting that the expensive high quality gun is probably going to be confiscated.

If I'm alive....It was worth it! ;)

jdg30
12-26-2010, 9:10 AM
If I'm alive....It was worth it! ;)

That makes sense. If I had to choose between the two for carry I'd probably choose the Dan Wesson. Either of these guns are nice.

troyJPX
12-30-2010, 7:49 PM
Thank you.

stormvet
12-30-2010, 8:16 PM
Both are great guns, but the 1911 will be much more comfortable to wear and conceal better.

Sam
12-30-2010, 8:24 PM
The Dan Wessons are so sweet.

rdmax
12-30-2010, 9:07 PM
I have been a long time fan of the 1911 and carried one for a few years. I started shooting and now own several Sigs and one Glock. After thinking about it more and having the opportunity to use all three types, I am now more inclined to carry a double action like a Sig or Glock because of my limited ability to train enough with it on a continual basis.

With a 1911, you have to train yourself to take the safety off after or during a draw from a holster. It could be a costly few seconds, if you pull the trigger and the safety is still activated. Another potential issue is that you really need to practise with live rounds to make sure you can draw, de-activate the trigger without setting off a round with an accidental discharge under pressure. Hard to practise since most gun range do not allow holster draw to live fire. The trigger may feel heavy during target practise, but is very sensitive under pressure, so a double action first pull may prevent an accidental discharge. I saw a video of a police officer holding down a suspect at gun point and accidentally firing two rounds into the ground by accident with a Glock because of the jitters. Both times you can see her pulling the trigger and at the same time, she had no idea that this was happening. Luckily for the suspect, it was not directly aimed at him. So, you have to train yourself not to have your finger on the trigger until you actually need to pull a trigger.

Concealability of a 1911 with a bobtail is really hard to beat.

Striker
12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
What do you carry now? Are you use to a pistol with a manual safety? If not, as mentioned above, it could cost precious seconds in a confrontation. Changing platforms is fine as long as they're fairly similar. Unfortunately, the 1911 platform is similar to almost nothing except maybe the Browning HP. You can change from Sig to HK to glock to M&P etc and be relatively ok. What they have in common is no manual safety and long, fairly heavy trigger pull on the first shot. 1911 has neither.

rdmax
12-31-2010, 3:58 AM
I moved to CA, so no more CC. If I were able to now, it would probably be a Sig P220 Equinox that I have because of the reasons stated about the required additional conditioning and training to handle a 1911 under pressure. A move from a 1911 to a Sig, Glock would be easy, but going the other way will require a lot of practise. Sticking with one platform is really good advice.

cineski
12-31-2010, 6:16 AM
This.

I moved to CA, so no more CC. If I were able to now, it would probably be a Sig P220 Equinox that I have because of the reasons stated about the required additional conditioning and training to handle a 1911 under pressure. A move from a 1911 to a Sig, Glock would be easy, but going the other way will require a lot of practise. Sticking with one platform is really good advice.

Sam
12-31-2010, 6:44 AM
I say you should learn how to properly hold a 1911 with your right thumb over the thumb safety. With this grip, flipping the thumb safety will become automatic. Sure it's a single action with a lighter trigger pull, but that's why you practice your draw with proper trigger control. I doubt the pull difference between a da and sa is enough to matter in a stressful situation. I'd even argue the sa trigger is safer as it will allow you a more accurate and quicker first shot.

Legasat
12-31-2010, 9:35 AM
Both very very nice pistols. For me it would certainly be the Dan Wesson, too bad it's not on the roster.

Legasat
12-31-2010, 1:39 PM
cbob is

Yes, so is the PM-7. I sure hope the Guardian makes it soon....

teIam
12-31-2010, 1:46 PM
Yes, so is the PM-7. I sure hope the Guardian makes it soon....

It won't be. I'm going to be getting one as my next purchase, going through Valkyrie again.

Snapping Twig
12-31-2010, 3:07 PM
I've got two similar pistols, an old W. German P220 and a CBOB.

Before I did Gunsite, I favored the Sig. No safety, point and click, decocking lever, lightweight alloy frame, ease of maintenance. Good all around package.

After training, the 1911 gets the call.

I did the course several times, practice on my own, in short I trained a lot.

The 1911 has a learning curve and isn't for the beginner. That said, it's a marvelous tool for the job at hand.

If you haven't trained for it, go with the Sig and you won't be undergunned. Take the training and decide which you prefer at that point.

teIam
12-31-2010, 3:15 PM
what do they charge for this?

I believe their last Guardian was ~$1,500. From my experience and what I've seen, their prices are under MSRP for the gun and the conversion is included.

It's quite a sweet deal they've got going on.

Your best bet is to give them a call - 408-957-0600.