PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new 10/22

CALI SHOT DOC
12-26-2010, 8:03 AM
I received a ruger 10/22 for xmas and hoping to break it in today if the rain waits for me :boat: lol

What types of things should i do to "break" it in right. Should i disassemble it clean and reassemble first. Only shoot non-lead rds? Just wondering if there are any do's and don'ts when breaking in a 10/22. Thanks

Izzy43
12-26-2010, 8:23 AM
Clean it and shoot it. No problem shooting lead rounds, after all 99%+ of .22 bullets are lead. Can't hurt a rifle with lead bullets.

G-forceJunkie
12-26-2010, 8:24 AM
Make sure the barrel is clear, lube up the action, shoot.

uxo2
12-26-2010, 9:59 AM
Make sure the barrel is clear, lube up the action, shoot.

Its a 10/22..

Buy what ever ammo ""BRICKS "" you can afford and a bottle of
CLP...

SHOOT.

When your done shooting.

then clean it.

Forget the Nolead....It is not needed.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I broke in my grandpas with 2 bricks for Remington GB. Worked just fine. Still haven't cleaned it, and that was like 6 months ago. It's a 10/22.

Calm
12-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Seriously, just shoot the heck out of it and enjoy! As others have said, it's a 10/22.

uxo2
12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
The fraze...

Its just a 10/22 is very much like saying.

It glock....Shoot it.

nbkvig2
12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
BREAKING IN A 10/22??? It's a 10/22. Just shoot it! Congrats on the gift!

yuccales
12-26-2010, 11:07 AM
"My 10/22 has not received that kind of attention in the nearly 20 years I have had it. Seriously, just shoot the heck out of it and enjoy! As others have said, it's a 10/22."

What he said! Take that thing out today regardless of the weather and shoot!

Mail Clerk
12-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I received a ruger 10/22 for xmas and hoping to break it in today if the rain waits for me :boat: lol

What types of things should i do to "break" it in right. Should i disassemble it clean and reassemble first. Only shoot non-lead rds? Just wondering if there are any do's and don'ts when breaking in a 10/22. Thanks

CALI SHOT DOC,

Just give it a cleaning and oiling of the trigger part and put one or two drops of oil on the recoil spring and shaft. Go to the gun store and but a pull through bore cleaner like the one Hoppe's sells.

Ammo just use inexpensive high velocity ammo like CCI "Blazer" as it's a non-coppered bullet.

If you plan to shoot for groups then the best ammo used is particular for your barrel so buy various brands to shoot and measure the groups. I personally don't do this until a couple bricks are shot through first.

Anyway for the 10-22 rifle no real breaking period is required. Just don't rapid fire/machine gunthe rifle and the barrel will last longer than you will.

Mail Clerk

iareConfusE
12-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't ever bother to clean any of my guns before I shoot them for the first time. They haven't exploded on me yet, and are still accurate as can be. Just shoot the gun, no break in required.

1-M-42
12-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Shoot it, then find a new barrel, a new stock, a new trigger group, a tuffer buffer, tune the bolt and then.....buy another one, find a new barrell, a new stock.......etc, etc, etc.

trob
12-26-2010, 12:35 PM
just shoot the thing.

CALI SHOT DOC
12-26-2010, 5:01 PM
CALI SHOT DOC,

Just give it a cleaning and oiling of the trigger part and put one or two drops of oil on the recoil spring and shaft. Go to the gun store and but a pull through bore cleaner like the one Hoppe's sells.

Ammo just use inexpensive high velocity ammo like CCI "Blazer" as it's a non-coppered bullet.

If you plan to shoot for groups then the best ammo used is particular for your barrel so buy various brands to shoot and measure the groups. I personally don't do this until a couple bricks are shot through first.

Anyway for the 10-22 rifle no real breaking period is required. Just don't rapid fire/machine gunthe rifle and the barrel will last longer than you will.

Mail Clerk

Thanks guy, i have 4000 rds of blazer bc thats the only ammo my sig mosquito shoots. Can't wait to shoot it when it the weather gets better.

Mail Clerk
12-27-2010, 1:47 PM
Thanks guy, i have 4000 rds of blazer bc thats the only ammo my sig mosquito shoots. Can't wait to shoot it when it the weather gets better.

CALI SHOT DOC,

With the ammo you have your stocked very well! Blazer is an excellent inexpensive ammo to use in any 22 rimfire rifle in my book. Basically it's nothing more or less than CCI "Mini Mag" ammo without the copper coating/lube.

When I shoot for groups from a new 22 rifle I always use CCI "Blazer" ammo as a base line to begin measuring accuracy from various brands or ammo. As you continue to shoot the different brands you can plot them on a graph and begin to see just how accurate your particular barrel is. I ussally shoot 5 shot groups per each target using specifically a "bench rest" target and just slow fire at about 50 yards using a scope. If none is used go for 25 yards.

Good luck and enjoy the shoot!!!!!!

Mail Clerk