PDA

View Full Version : C&R shipping address??

rorschach
07-26-2006, 12:59 AM
OK I'm new to this C&R game now, heres my question:

Is it permitted to have any C&R stuff shipped to my work address, or must it be shipped to the address of record?? Reason I ask is no one is home during the day.

grammaton76
07-26-2006, 1:33 AM
Might wanna read the handout - I'm pretty sure it's a crime to have it shipped to a location other than your licensed address.

However, you can always do the "hold at depot" thing after they fail to deliver it the first time around.

stevie
07-26-2006, 4:08 AM
Must ship to the address printed on the license

EOD Guy
07-26-2006, 6:33 AM
There is nothing in the law or in the regulations that prohibits shipment to any address that you choose. However, no one is going to ship to any address other than the one on your license. There would be too many liability questions.

supergimp
08-01-2006, 8:46 PM
Most of the time they ship UPS. I live in a condo and wait for the first attempt and then pick up o redirect. Ups is good that way.

thedrickel
08-02-2006, 9:06 PM
"only to the address on the license". . . yeah but, my license has TWO addy's listed on it. The PREMISES address, and my MAILING address. If it's ok for the ATF to send my actual LICENSE to the mailing address (which they did), why can't I receive c&r's there? I have received c&r's both at the premises and my mailing address (work), it just depends on who you're buying from and what their policy is.

chiefcrash
08-03-2006, 6:51 AM
if the license has two addresses on it, they can ship rifles to either address

EOD Guy
08-03-2006, 7:13 AM
if the license has two addresses on it, they can ship rifles to either address

Even though there is no prohibition from shipping to any address, most, if not all, sellers will only ship to an address on the license. The premises address is the one usually shipped to, although the mailing address can also be used. However, since most distributers use UPS, they cannot ship to a PO Box if that is the mailing address.

EOD Guy
08-03-2006, 7:34 AM
Here is the official BATF position on shipping to other addresses:

From the March 2006 FFL Newsletter:

Can an FFL ship a firearm to an address that is different from the business premises address identified on the license?

Yes. Neither the GCA nor its implementing regulations contain specific provisions, requiring that an FFL have firearms shipped to their licensed business premises when receiving firearms. To that end, an FFL may lawfully receive firearms at their mailing address, storage location, or other address where the licensee intends to ensure safe and secure receipt of their firearms.

ATF Industry Circular 74-13 outlines "Guideline for Veryfying Identity and Licensed Status of Transferee." It states, in part, that "when the shipment is to be made to an address other than the transferee's premises as listed on his or her license or on his or her certified list, it is suggested that the transferor verify the address as being that of the transferee." Futhermore, persuant to section 922(b) of the GCA, it is unlawful to ship a firearm interstate to an unlicensed individual.

We encourage that FFLs verify to the best of their ability that the shipping address is a valid location where the licensee is prepared to receive and subsequently possess the firearms. In addition, if an FFL has customers that require frequent delivery of firearms to an address other than their licensed business premises, we recommend that the shipping address be placed on file with ATF's Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) as an additional mailing address.

It should be noted that any FFL receiving firearms at locations other than their licensed premises must maintain accurate records of acquisition and disposition of firearms. The acquisition of firearms must be recorded by the close of the following business day or, if commercial records are maintained, within 7 days following the acquisition (See 27 CFR 478.125(e) and (g)). In the event of an ATF compliance inspection, the FFL must make all records and firearms inventory available for inspection. In addition, if the location is used as a continuous off-site storage facility, the FFL must notify the FFLC so that the address can be placed on file.