PDA

View Full Version : It's a C&R Christmas! Nambu Type 14!

Datamancer
12-25-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks to some collaboration between my fiancee and my uncle, I got a Nambu Type 14 today! It's a Toriimatsu Branch, Nagoya Arsenal (matches my Type 99), made in in November 1943. I ordered some Buffalo Arms Nambu ammunition for it and some 7.7 Arisaka while I was at it.

http://www.datamancer.net/pics/nambu1.jpg

http://www.datamancer.net/pics/nambu2.jpg

It's easily the most ugly and awkward pistol I've ever seen, but much like an ugly pug dog, it's the ugliness that makes it charming!

-~D~-

VegasND
12-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Nice addition to your C&R collection.

Remember to post a range report when you get to shoot it.

hybridatsun350
12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Very cool! I wish I would have gotten something that cool! :p

Bigtwin
12-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Very nice. It is certianly no uglier than a Nagant revolver!

TurboChrisB
12-26-2010, 8:20 AM
Wow! Youre right...it's so ugly it's cool! Nice

morrcarr67
12-26-2010, 9:36 AM
Merry Christmas! have fun shooting it.

River Jack
12-26-2010, 9:56 AM
Awesome. But if you're into ugly, try the T-94!

Lucky Scott
12-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Looks to be in great shape.

Datamancer
12-26-2010, 2:00 PM
Thanks guys, I stripped it and cleaned it last night and it looked to be in really good condition. The recoil spring was kind of bent so I straightened that out while I was in there, but the rifling was strong, most of the bluing was intact, springs are shiny, etc.
It's definitely a strange gun. Some aspects of the design are very clever, while others are confusingly idiotic. For instance, the grips are only held on by the TINIEST little bit of overlap on the grip bolts and look like they would fall right off at the slightest bump. The firing pin post is the tiniest little thing that looks like it would snap if you looked at it wrong, and there's a spring in the trigger group assembly that rests about halfway on a ledge, barely held in and crushed slightly sideways that looks to be designed that way and not just a quirk of my particular Nambu. The firing pin also barely slides in the bolt assembly and there appears to be a ledge in the rear of the firing pin caused by bad machining that makes it stick.

I also found out that it's a transitional variant and shares a few traits of a series 1 and a few of a series 2.

-~D~-

Phouty
12-26-2010, 2:24 PM
Congratulations, and welcome to the Nambu family!:cool2:
Yeah, I do agree. Type 14 is so ugly as to be the most beautiful handgun IMHO! Contrary to popular opinion it is a well engineered and designed gun. Units manufactured before WWII were made very well. As a war progressed, the workmanship and quality decreased significantely, but this is true for practically every weapon made by Axis countries from that period of time.
No wonder, that Ruger designed his Mark I pistol based on "philosophy" of the Nambu.

Here's mine. Love that gun. It feels like .22 cal. while shooting it. Almost no recoil. (I don't shoot it much though, just barely enough to "clean the spider webs" from the barrel). ;) Mine was manufactured in Sept. of 1939 (Showa 14.9), and is unique in that sense, that it is a transitional model. It got enlarged trigger guard, but no mag. retaining spring in the frontstrap of the grip.
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/003.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/002-11.jpg

According to Terri from Canada a.k.a Nambu Lady (http://members.shaw.ca/tju/jhg.htm), only 5,750 of those transitional guns were ever manufactured between September and December of 1939.

BTW
I was also able to get the "original" magazine for my Nambu.
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/006-3.jpg

There is a guy on Gunboards, who sells original Japanese magazines for $130 a piece. With a luck, you might get a mag with last 3 digits of your gun's serial number the way I did!
One "correct" magazine with 3-digit serial number is matching only 1 gun in 1,000 ever produced, however because of the fact, that there were 2 magazines issued per each gun, (the spare one had a "dot" above the S/N), the chances of getting a matching magazine is 1 to 500.

johnthomas
12-26-2010, 2:29 PM
Your girlfriend is a keeper, I hope you got her something as cool as she got you.

Spiggy
12-26-2010, 4:22 PM
Thanks guys, I stripped it and cleaned it last night and it looked to be in really good condition. The recoil spring was kind of bent so I straightened that out while I was in there, but the rifling was strong, most of the bluing was intact, springs are shiny, etc.
It's definitely a strange gun. Some aspects of the design are very clever, while others are confusingly idiotic. For instance, the grips are only held on by the TINIEST little bit of overlap on the grip bolts and look like they would fall right off at the slightest bump. The firing pin post is the tiniest little thing that looks like it would snap if you looked at it wrong, and there's a spring in the trigger group assembly that rests about halfway on a ledge, barely held in and crushed slightly sideways that looks to be designed that way and not just a quirk of my particular Nambu. The firing pin also barely slides in the bolt assembly and there appears to be a ledge in the rear of the firing pin caused by bad machining that makes it stick.

I also found out that it's a transitional variant and shares a few traits of a series 1 and a few of a series 2.

-~D~-
:D On that note, don't dry fire it. T14 Firing Pins are notoriously weak.

Mine's a 17.5, or May 1942, 17th year of Showa

beerman
12-26-2010, 5:18 PM
That gun is ugly till you shoot it...my buddy had a few and I put lots of rounds thru one. A pleasure to shoot. As was mentioned here in a previous thread, the fact the Ruger MK1 is very similar in feel and action is probably no coincedence. Enjoy your Nambu!

Anchors
12-26-2010, 6:49 PM
Never seen that before, pretty rad/ugly!!
I need to get a Japanese weapon.

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Congratulations, and welcome to the Nambu family!:cool2:
Yeah, I do agree. Type 14 is so ugly as to be the most beautiful handgun IMHO! Contrary to popular opinion it is a well engineered and designed gun. Units manufactured before WWII were made very well. As a war progressed, the workmanship and quality decreased significantely, but this is true for practically every weapon made by Axis countries from that period of time.
No wonder, that Ruger designed his Mark I pistol based on "philosophy" of the Nambu.

Here's mine. Love that gun. It feels like .22 cal. while shooting it. Almost no recoil. (I don't shoot it much though, just barely enough to "clean the spider webs" from the barrel). ;) Mine was manufactured in Sept. of 1939 (Showa 14.9), and is unique in that sense, that it is a transitional model. It got enlarged trigger guard, but no mag. retaining spring in the frontstrap of the grip.

According to Terri from Canada a.k.a Nambu Lady (http://members.shaw.ca/tju/jhg.htm), only 5,750 of those transitional guns were ever manufactured between September and December of 1939.

BTW
I was also able to get the "original" magazine for my Nambu.

There is a guy on Gunboards, who sells original Japanese magazines for $130 a piece. With a luck, you might get a mag with last 3 digits of your gun's serial number the way I did!
One "correct" magazine with 3-digit serial number is matching only 1 gun in 1,000 ever produced, however because of the fact, that there were 2 magazines issued per each gun, (the spare one had a "dot" above the S/N), the chances of getting a matching magazine is 1 to 500.

Nice Nambu and good score on the mag! $130 sounds a but steep though so I'll probably just keep the single mag. I don't plan on shooting it much, just enough to clean out the cobwebs, as you said. Thanks for the info! That's good to know.

-~D~-

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Your girlfriend is a keeper, I hope you got her something as cool as she got you.

Yup, she's my fiancee, actually so I've already decided to keep her.
:)
She made out pretty well too, but I think she "won" this Christmas. I'll get her next year though!

-~D~-

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:51 AM
:D On that note, don't dry fire it. T14 Firing Pins are notoriously weak.

Mine's a 17.5, or May 1942, 17th year of Showa

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the original holsters actually had a little loop to hold an extra firing pin. Seems like a strange design oversight to make, considering it's probably the single most important part of the entire firearm.
*shrug* I dunno, man.

-~D~-

jaq
12-27-2010, 2:31 AM
Outstanding! Congratulations and Merry Christmas ;-) May your New Year be as fortunate.

I got my first Japanese C&Rs this year. They made some great stuff. A Nambu is definitely on my list of must haves.

Phouty
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Never seen that before, pretty rad/ugly!!
I need to get a Japanese weapon.

So, if you're looking for the ugliest handgun of the world, there is a perfect candidate.;)

Allow me to introduce Nambu Type 94! (Even its own mother wouldn't love such ugly duckling)! :eek:
http://omegacrossroads.com/GunCabinet/Nambu/nambu.htm

@Datamancer

It's true. The "clamshell" holster for Nambu 14 contains a little pocket to hold a spare firing pin.
http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/?action=view&current=Holster003.jpg
In fact, the guns were issued with spare pins. You can recognize the spares instantly, because they are marked with a little "dot".

The only reasonable explanation why they've never fixed that problem is probably the financial (read: sinister) one. You can make tons of money by supplying the gov. with replacement parts.....just make sure, there's a need for replacements! :43:

Rekrab
12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Nice! I've been wanting one of these for a long time. I'm pretty sure it will be my next purchase. I have always loved those designs. Now if only I could find one to shoot!

Spiggy
12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the original holsters actually had a little loop to hold an extra firing pin. Seems like a strange design oversight to make, considering it's probably the single most important part of the entire firearm.
*shrug* I dunno, man.

-~D~-

The Type 14 wasn't exactly one of those keeper guns for Imperial officers. :D I think after a certain pay grade, those "battlefield pickups" and non-issue purchases are probably more favorable.

Sucks to be the poor sod that has to carry one of these and a battle flag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/arisaka/PTOBattle09037.jpg

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Outstanding! Congratulations and Merry Christmas ;-) May your New Year be as fortunate.

I got my first Japanese C&Rs this year. They made some great stuff. A Nambu is definitely on my list of must haves.

Thanks! What did you get? T99? T38?

-~D~-

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:11 PM
So, if you're looking for the ugliest handgun of the world, there is a perfect candidate.;)

Allow me to introduce Nambu Type 94! (Even its own mother wouldn't love such ugly duckling)! :eek:

@Datamancer

It's true. The "clamshell" holster for Nambu 14 contains a little pocket to hold a spare firing pin.
http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/?action=view&current=Holster003.jpg
In fact, the guns were issued with spare pins. You can recognize the spares instantly, because they are marked with a little "dot".

The only reasonable explanation why they've never fixed that problem is probably the financial (read: sinister) one. You can make tons of money by supplying the gov. with replacement parts.....just make sure, there's a need for replacements! :43:

Oh yeah, definitely! I was actually just showing the T94 to my fiancee, trying to show her how weird and ugly the Jap pistols were. Strangely, she didn't think they were ugly at all.

Which is the firing pin holder? The little vertical pouch next to the small front pouch?

-~D~-

Datamancer
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
The Type 14 wasn't exactly one of those keeper guns for Imperial officers. :D I think after a certain pay grade, those "battlefield pickups" and non-issue purchases are probably more favorable.

Sucks to be the poor sod that has to carry one of these and a battle flag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/arisaka/PTOBattle09037.jpg

Haha yeah, you might as well just put a target on the flag instead of the rising (setting?) sun.

-~D~-

mls343
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Those Type 94 Nambu are ugly and cool at the same time! LOL The Type 94 actually has a little "feature" that allows the weapon to be discharged without even pulling the trigger...

For me, I really enjoy shooting the Type 14's. Very low recoil and pretty fun to shoot as long as you can get over the sticker shock of the ammo. I have both the LTG (Large Trigger Guard) as well as an early STG (they found out that in the cold climate of Manchuria, you could not fire the weapon wearing gloves...) that are both nice shooters.

Interesting, but most of the Japanese handguns are kind of ugly. The Type 25, the issue pistol prior to the Type 14 Nambu, was a double action only revolver. It has some clean lines, but putting it up against the other major powers wheelguns, it was considered an odd duckling for sure (double action only, small cartridge, etc...).

Nice peice of history you have there, Datamancer! Congratulations!

Phouty
12-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Which is the firing pin holder? The little vertical pouch next to the small front pouch?

-~D~-
You're correct. Its the narrow vertical pocket to the right (in the pic) of the spare ammo pouch.
It's a good idea to acquire a spare firing pin. Just in case. Beware though, because they come in different lenghts, depending on period of production. Don't remember any details from the top of my head, but since you've got your gun stripped already, it would be a smart idea to measure the lenght of the firing pin, and convert its length to millimeters. Don't forget to write the number down for future needs.
Also buy a set of new springs from Wolff. They're pretty inexpensive.

caoboy
12-28-2010, 1:56 AM
I think that's the gun that started the Ruger MK series...

Anchors
12-28-2010, 8:23 PM

You're right, that is uglier. Almost too ugly. Haha.

Those Type 94 Nambu are ugly and cool at the same time! LOL The Type 94 actually has a little "feature" that allows the weapon to be discharged without even pulling the trigger...

For me, I really enjoy shooting the Type 14's. Very low recoil and pretty fun to shoot as long as you can get over the sticker shock of the ammo. I have both the LTG (Large Trigger Guard) as well as an early STG (they found out that in the cold climate of Manchuria, you could not fire the weapon wearing gloves...) that are both nice shooters.

Interesting, but most of the Japanese handguns are kind of ugly. The Type 25, the issue pistol prior to the Type 14 Nambu, was a double action only revolver. It has some clean lines, but putting it up against the other major powers wheelguns, it was considered an odd duckling for sure (double action only, small cartridge, etc...).

Nice peice of history you have there, Datamancer! Congratulations!

How is the ammo availability on these WWII Japanese handguns and rifles?
I want an Arisaka, but I'm afraid ammo will be like 60 cents a round.

Spiggy
12-28-2010, 8:36 PM
almost a dollar a round, or more for hornandy reloads of 7.7 and 6.5mm rounds

:p this is what happens when you lose a series of wars and your ability to militarize.

blu97
12-28-2010, 8:57 PM
The first thing I bought after my type 14 was dies. Huntingtons sells bullets, you can neck down 357 sig cases, shorten them and reduce the base dia. and save your 8mm nambu cases.

Phouty
12-29-2010, 12:55 AM

Lets be honest.....
As of today, the availability of the Nambu and Arisaka ammo is slightly better than none.
After the...you know...SB-whatever-the-number-is....kicks in on Feb. 11, the chances of getting 8mm Nambu ammo will be -.08457241, or even lower per each of California Assembly's legislative session. (I employed hi-tech scientific formula to arrive at that result).:TFH::43:
Brace yourselves YOU, the owners of "unusual" caliber guns, or run fast, and order your reloading equipment on emergency basis from your local vendor. Viva la Kalifonia! Viva el terminador, or a person also known as a husband of a true governor of Kalifornia, Mrs. Maria Shriver.
BTW
Is a donation of a physical object considered as a political donation for tax purposes? I would like to donate a famous La Bamba pistol, Modello el Paco, in a popular caliber .46-7/13 to outgoing person (not too soon), also known as a husband of a governor of Kalifornia, and thank him/her/them for all the good things she/he/them did to that (once) beautiful and prosperous state. My only concern is, whether I will be able to claim this political donation on my upcoming state tax return (?), so I could get the state refund in a form of the only state legal tender/currency called the IOUs?
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/Phouty/cz24.jpg

OHOD
12-29-2010, 1:00 AM
I like it!
But how come you don't like it anymore? After such a short time, we can do the PPT this weekend if you like! :D

Datamancer
12-29-2010, 4:39 PM

The Jap stuff is pretty rare and expensive. The Nambu is about a dollar per round, maybe a little more with shipping, and the Arisaka 7.7 is about .40-.50 a round, but is ALWAYS sold out.

Check out http://www.buffaloarms.com and http://www.ammobank.com for rare or exotic ammo.

Buffalo Arms has the Nambu, but they're holding my order until more Arisaka comes in.

-~D~-

Datamancer
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Sweet! My Nambu-nition came today! Interestingly, it's .40 Winchester brass that has been necked-down.

-~D~-

jaq
01-21-2011, 3:49 PM
Sweet. Waiting on a range report now.

And to answer your question from last month that I only just saw: I got a T38 and a couple of sporterized T99s. See thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=370747

Cheers :)

Datamancer
01-21-2011, 6:35 PM
Sweet. Waiting on a range report now.

And to answer your question from last month that I only just saw: I got a T38 and a couple of sporterized T99s. See thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=370747

Cheers :)

Looks like a nice collection. I'd like to have that too...one from each world player.

I actually just picked up a new T99 stock on ebay for $100 (considering I've seen JUST THE HANDGUARDS go for $100, I couldn't say no) so I'm going to convert my butchered T99 (not by me) back into a full-stocked mixmaster. I just need to find some new action screws because Bubba destroyed the existing screws.
Still waiting on my Arisaka ammo though. It's on backorder from BuffaloArms, but seems to be out EVERYWHERE.

-~D~-

jaq
01-21-2011, 7:44 PM
Looks like a nice collection. I'd like to have that too...one from each world player.

I actually just picked up a new T99 stock on ebay for $100 (considering I've seen JUST THE HANDGUARDS go for $100, I couldn't say no) so I'm going to convert my butchered T99 (not by me) back into a full-stocked mixmaster. I just need to find some new action screws because Bubba destroyed the existing screws.
Still waiting on my Arisaka ammo though. It's on backorder from BuffaloArms, but seems to be out EVERYWHERE.

-~D~-

Cool. Nice find ;-) Yeah, I looked for decent stocks for months w/o satisfaction.

Have you tried Numrich for action screws? I think they used to have them.

And MidwayUSA had ammo last I checked.

You'll have to show us some pix when you get your mixmaster put together :D

Cheers!

NaughtyMonkey
01-21-2011, 7:46 PM
That's defiantly a unique pistol. I like it though. Congrats.

Datamancer
01-22-2011, 2:02 AM
Cool. Nice find ;-) Yeah, I looked for decent stocks for months w/o satisfaction.

Have you tried Numrich for action screws? I think they used to have them.

And MidwayUSA had ammo last I checked.

You'll have to show us some pix when you get your mixmaster put together :D

Cheers!

Oh yeah I forgot about Numrich. Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered all 3 screws.

Ebay has actually had quite a few stocks up there lately going for decent prices (and a few that were way overpriced, of course) if you want to poke around. Best thing to do is log in, search for "arisaka stock", and then click "save search" and Ebay will send you an email whenever a new item matching your search is posted.

Midway has been out of 7.7 for a while now. They have 6.5 though, I believe.

I'll be sure to post when I reskin the rifle. It has a ground mum and a sportered stock, so I'm not really ruining any collector value by restocking it. I figure the least I can do is make it look nice. I haven't taken the new stock apart yet to see the arsenal marks but maybe I'll even luck-out and have a matching Nagoya!

-~D~-