PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 22 Worth the $$$

12-25-2010, 8:28 PM
My 12 year old son is looking to buy the S&W M&P 22. Is this the best 22 for the money ? And wheres the best place to purchase this in the Sacramento area ? Thanks in advance .

WDE91
12-25-2010, 8:37 PM
Everything is relative
is Ducati the best motorcycle?

Does the rifle be something you both enjoy?
Does it fit your needs and wants?
Does it fit your price point?

XDRoX
12-25-2010, 8:45 PM
I think it's a pretty nice little rifle, especially for a 12 year old. When the alternatives are a $1000 AR in 22 or a bubba'd out 10/22, I think the M&P is well worth it.

savasyn
12-25-2010, 8:52 PM
I can't answer the "worth" question, but I recently got one and am really enjoying it. I took it out yesterday for a side by side comparo with my GSG-5, which I've had for a while. I have to say, I prefer shooting the M&P. Perhaps it's because I have a good bit more trigger time on an AR-style rifle so the ergos more natural to me. It's been too many years since I've gotten to enjoy the awesomeness of a real MP-5.

Once thing I noticed though, was that the M&P delivers a moderate amount of recoil compared to the GSG, which soaks it up nicely. I assume it's a weight thing, the M&P is so dang light. Of course, .22 LR doesn't have much to speak of, so I was surprised to note the difference.

Anyway, the M&P is a very fun rifle that is easy to shoot and easy to maintain. It can take many real AR accessories, so you can upgrade it to your heart's content.

If you do get one, I recommend getting the 10/25 mags from rrages.com rather than the 10 rounders from S&W. The 10/25s have the slider knobs on the side that make them much easier to load. With the factory 10 rounders, you have to put a key or something similar in slot to pull them down for loading.

Whatisthis?
12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
It's hard to whether it will be well worth it until you know you are gonna have fun with it A LOT. If you're looking for some kind of tactical .22 rifle, your better choices in my mind are a GSG-5 (about $50 cheaper depending on where you get it but not build as well as say a Sig 522), a Sig 522 (I am currently paying for one and starting dros soon. Haven't heard anything but good.), a M&P 15-22 (looks more like a typical AR 15 compared to Sig, is around the same price as the Sig, and I honestly haven't heard bad things about it. The only occasional bad thing is that it can SOMETIMES be picky with ammo, but I think 98% of owners says it runs flawless with most bulk or at least an easily obtainable brand), and a Ruger sr22 (haven't looked into these much at all so I don't really wanna comment). These are just some of the main few. There are others out there and yes, they can be just as good. (Also, from my looking around, the Sig and M&P are close to the same price but the Sig doesn't come with iron sights. You can just throw a $30 red dot on though, so cheap fix.)

As xdrox said, it will definitely be well worth it imo. In sacramento, two places come to mind: Golden State Tactical (have only heard awesome things from customers) and then Wild Sports in Orangevale (nothing wrong or bad when I dealt with them, just didn't seem totally professional at times). There are other dealers to go through, I usually just google map gun dealers, gun shops, or FFLs and call around to see what's up at each place.

Uhhlexxxis
12-25-2010, 11:06 PM
no regrets purchasing mine.. in fact, more people enjoy shooting it than the 2 ARs I own. also good for practice when you don't want to break the bank of shooting .223/5.56

erratikmind
12-26-2010, 7:32 AM
I love my S&W 15-22. It has increased my range time. It is a great shooter, which is very accurate up to 50 yards. My ARs are seeing much less trigger time since I purchased the 15-22 this past March. My 15-22 is approaching 8k rounds without issues.

Compared to shooting centerfire guns a few times a week, the cost of shooting .22lr is almost negligible for me.

This is the gun, which I will use to introduce shooting to my 3 year old grandson in a few more years.

PsychGuy274
12-26-2010, 7:36 AM
I would definitely say that's it's more than worth it. It's definitely one of my favorite guns. It's an awesome rifle to learn the AR-15 platform and also great to run drills with seeing as 22lr is so cheap.

Make sure if you decide to buy a used one that the serial number is DTX. The other ones had a bunch of ftf ans fte problems that they fixed with the newer ones. And from my experience they will shoot everything EXCEPT Remington ammo.

Arteel
12-26-2010, 3:10 PM
If you can't find a good price around town, Buds has em' for 422.00 shipped. With an average price of about 50.00 for transfer fees and DROS, it should bring you to about 472.00 OTD.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61690

Kelster1574
12-26-2010, 5:22 PM
Great rifles, fun to shoot, cool to add things to, and to look at. It shoots well, although not as good as my Ruger SR-22 but still performs well. I would have no problem recomending them to anybody.....after all they are a S&W

infamous209
12-26-2010, 5:36 PM
seems like a land slide but ill throw my .02 cents, its definitely worth it. fun and a natural eye catcher at the range. No regrets except wish i would have got the MOE version

TheDeej
12-26-2010, 6:13 PM
I wasn't sure what I wanted between the M&P and the Sig 522. Based on internet reviews and info I was leaning towards the Sig but when I handled them both in store I knew it was the Smith for me. Heard good things about Golden State Tactical and when I checked their price for the Smith I found it to be $100 cheaper than my local store so I'll definitely be driving up that way when I'm ready to purchase.

TheDeej
12-26-2010, 6:16 PM
seems like a land slide but ill throw my .02 cents, its definitely worth it. fun and a natural eye catcher at the range. No regrets except wish i would have got the MOE version

Is there a dealer that carries the MOE in California? I thought CA dealers only got model 811032.

Javi
12-26-2010, 9:32 PM
Is there a dealer that carries the MOE in California? I thought CA dealers only got model 811032.

I'm from so cal and I own a MOE version that I got at Turners. She's beautiful :) and great value

BRANCHER
12-26-2010, 9:46 PM
BIG 5 with a coupon was a great deal this last year... Check them as well. They also run adds for sales on it.

jackandblood
12-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Im surprised Marlin wasn't mentioned as far as value goes. I'd go with the 14 rd tubular, maybe easier than to keep track of magazines and whatnot (I dunno anything bout parenting).

I would personally try to instill in the boy a sense of the value of a simple long rifle look and feel. Curtail the general culture of COD Modern Warfare, where every thing has to have rails and attachments upon attachments, super cool black rifle looks.

Would be easier on your bank account too. A simple quality dovetail scope as a birthday present as opposed to a laser to complement his flashlight to complement his reflex sight, to complement his 3x scope, to complement his aftermarket stock, and the rails clamped onto rails to fit it all etc. I find ar-15 esque culture to be too similar to paintball culture. everything needs upgrading. So much emphasis on aesthetics, so many stock parts you cant unload littering the room.

pennys dad
12-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I have one and I like it and I think the money I spent buying it was good. I like that I can add all my Magpul left overs to it and my LMT BUIS and it all fits fine!

LovingTheYear1911
12-26-2010, 11:07 PM
What about the Colt M4 .22? I have one and I enjoy it a lot. Never had a problem with it and it fires everytime. Plus is looks more like a true AR carbine.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-m4-carbine

jackandblood
12-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I didnt read anything in the OP regarding the rifle must replicate a military rifle. If that's the case then I love my Colt rimfire but the mp10-22 gets universal praise. Either way I stand firm advocating the Marlins. With these ar-15 type deals, a 12 year old can lose sight of priorities. He can learn practice, maintence and appreciation for simple joys or may turn into blind consumerism, fixing what aint broke, buying accessories and aftermarket parts with no real objective, spending more time on his still object camera skills than his shooting skills.

12-27-2010, 7:52 AM
Thanks for all the input. My son has saved the money to buy this rifle on his own . He currentlly is shooting a Winchester Model 190 and loves it . I guess its time for him to move towards the "Black Rifle loook". Thanks again for all the help.

infamous209
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Also in the defense of the 15 22 many parts from the ar work on it. its nice to be able to get trigger parts from an AR, the colt 22 isnt like that.

jm13690
12-27-2010, 1:34 PM
I like the Ruger 10/22 you have a good entry level, but then your kid can work on beefing it up with new stock and barrels and really personalize it for himself. Plus its a great project you two could work on together.

Javi
12-27-2010, 4:10 PM
Im surprised Marlin wasn't mentioned as far as value goes. I'd go with the 14 rd tubular, maybe easier than to keep track of magazines and whatnot (I dunno anything bout parenting).

I would personally try to instill in the boy a sense of the value of a simple long rifle look and feel. Curtail the general culture of COD Modern Warfare, where every thing has to have rails and attachments upon attachments, super cool black rifle looks.

Would be easier on your bank account too. A simple quality dovetail scope as a birthday present as opposed to a laser to complement his flashlight to complement his reflex sight, to complement his 3x scope, to complement his aftermarket stock, and the rails clamped onto rails to fit it all etc. I find ar-15 esque culture to be too similar to paintball culture. everything needs upgrading. So much emphasis on aesthetics, so many stock parts you cant unload littering the room.

Even though I own an M&P 15-22, I hear ya :) I love my rifle but I don't wanna add anything to it for a whileee, it's perfect to me in it's stock setup. I love how wood stock long rifles look like, I'll hopefully be getting a nice woodstock Savage bolt fire rifle(.223 or something), so..classy!

Ron-Solo
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a M&P 15-22 and love it so much I'm thinking about getting another for my son and grandkids to use when we go out.

The Ruger 10-22 is also an excellent choice. (I have two)

Sig 22 is a good rifle, as is the Ruger SR22 if he wants the 'Black Rifle' look. ( a little more money)

Colt/Umarex M4/22 does not measure up to the others in my opinion.

I've heard too many complaints about the GSG5, but they sure look cool.

The only drawback (in my opinion) on the Marlin model 60 is the tube magazine. When at a range and a cease fire is called, it takes more steps to unload and clear than a traditional magazine. Other than that, it is a great rifle.

Personal preference is a major part of any rifle selection.

I think it is great that he has saved the money himself to buy the rifle. Happy shooting, whatever he decides, with your wise guidance.

Coded-Dude
12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Sportsman's in Rocklin/Roseville has both variants in stock. MOE is $539 and Regular is $469(IIRC).

jackandblood
12-29-2010, 1:44 PM
The fact that Umarex's m4 doesn't accept standard muzzles and grips I view as a good thing. I've been eyeing this beautiful stainless muzzle piece costs $90 that I sure as hell dont need. $90 saved from an impulse buy and will go towards my centerfire fund. :cowboy:

infamous209
12-29-2010, 4:36 PM
Ive started decking mine out rail covers, scope, foregrip/bipod, and jp trigger springs. I would not take back any upgrades.

SWAT326
12-29-2010, 7:52 PM
Yes! I own a S&W M&P 15-22, and it is a great weapon! I have had no problem with mine at all. The S&W functions just like an AR. I love mine :)

PS: I have shot, about 1000 rounds out of mine, and no problems. Just make sure you clean it.

Jasonaspears
02-15-2011, 8:05 PM
I've shot close to 10,000 rounds through mine and I love it. Even in standard trim it looks great and is a blast to shoot!

tomd1584
02-15-2011, 8:22 PM
absolutely, i have close to 5,000 rounds through mine with no issues.

the first 200 rounds or so i had problems with remington ammo, but since then i've been GTG with Federal and Winchester bulk.

pkc168
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
M&P 15-22 is great, no problems at all, and it functions just like an AR. You can probably get one on sale at Big 5, or wait for coupon.

Javi
02-18-2011, 1:25 PM
It's on sale at Turner's right now. I got it at $500 during their Veteran's day sale but you can probably find it cheaper online.