PDA

View Full Version : I am fed up with my Ruger MKIII

littlejake
12-25-2010, 5:55 PM
Out of the box it's terrible. Trigger pull is like squeezing a rock. I bought a MKI back in 1069; sold it... really regret selling it. If I cannot make my MKIII into as good a shooter as my MKI was, I am dumping the P.O.S.

I figure it's that mag disconnect that's buggering up the trigger. I have seen the videos on how to remove it and use a couple of washers. To me, that's a Bubba fix.

Can I put a MKII hammer and bushing into the MKIII? If that will work, then I shouldn't need washers when removing the mag disconnect.

Anybody?

MongooseV8
12-25-2010, 6:11 PM
Ouch, this is the first negative post about a Mark III I have read in a long time. The trigger can be lightened to about 2-2.5 Lbs with a VQ target sear/hammer. You can use a Mark II bushing to disable the stupid mag disconnect with ease. Also if you decide you dont like the loaded chamber indicator you can remove a part or two to simply disable it.

I love mine and it shoots great. I dont know how heavy my trigger is but it isnt that bad, but yours might be heavier.

mikengracie
12-25-2010, 6:18 PM
Find a MKII and put a Volquartsen kit in it. Like butter. Much better than any old MKIII. lol

bombadillo
12-25-2010, 6:21 PM
Give it to a smith that can work with the ruger MK series and tell them you want a VQ package done. You'll get it back and it'll be a new gun for you.

pennys dad
12-25-2010, 6:43 PM
go to rimfirecentral.com and read up on the fixes for the pistol. The trigger can be mush for sure but the accuracy is spot on

!@#$
12-25-2010, 6:50 PM
go to rimfirecentral.com and read up on the fixes for the pistol. The trigger can be mush for sure but the accuracy is spot on

yup

a mkII bushing and a VQ sear should be a standard upgrade for a mkIII.

yelohamr
12-25-2010, 7:12 PM
If you bought a Ruger in 1069, you're too old to pull the trigger anyway.

grnt
12-25-2010, 7:20 PM
That's what happens when politicians regulate the trigger pull with a magazine disconnect and Ruger caves in.

sequoia_nomad
12-25-2010, 7:47 PM
What are you used to shooting? Just remember, it's a $300 plinker, not a $1200 1911.

Tank 57
12-25-2010, 7:59 PM
Mk II bushing is the way to go on removing the mag disconnect.Very easy and improved my trigger.Bought an LCI filler plate from a gentleman on rimfire central.Also VQ extractor.Like the gun much better now that it is "Delawyered".

erratikmind
12-25-2010, 8:55 PM
Replacing the MK III's hammer bushing is a good move. You might consider doing so with a Clark over sized hammer bushing and pin for a MK II. The said will displaced the magazine safety assembly and remove a bit more creep from the trigger pull, as well.

My SS MK III 678 Hunter shoots like a dream. I cannot imagine it being otherwise.

As has been mentioned, you should visit Rimfire Central for more info.

erejota
12-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Newbie here and I've tried to find out using the
search function,to no avail.
Are these fixes legal?Would hate to disable the mag
disconnect and lci then get busted for an illegal piece.
5 days 'til I pick my 22/45 up,and I'm curious.
Ross

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2010, 1:12 AM
Newbie here and I've tried to find out using the
search function,to no avail.
Are these fixes legal?Would hate to disable the mag
disconnect and lci then get busted for an illegal piece.
5 days 'til I pick my 22/45 up,and I'm curious.
Ross

Yes the mods are legal. The safe handgun roster/mag disconnect/LCI only apply to dealer sales in California. Once you own the handgun there is nothing stopping you from mod'ing the gun out of Roster compliance.

erejota
12-26-2010, 1:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Ross

littlejake
12-26-2010, 3:42 AM
I missed my typo as to 1069 -- LOL -- of course I mean 1969.

I think the excessive trigger pull is caused by the way the MKIII trigger mechanically lifts the mag during travel to assure the mag is seated. Ergo, I submit the trigger itself must also be changed to a MKII type. I have heard the VQ sear gets high praise as well as the Clark MKII bushing.

If one retains the MKIII hammer, then there is that cutout region on the right side of the hammer near its axle. Do, I still need the washer fix to laterally contain the hammer -- or can I use a MKII VQ hammer? And wouldn't a VQ hammer also assure a better sear/hammer engagement?

The LCI doesn't bother me; although I think it useless; as there is no greater safety feature than safe handling practices.

Having owned a MKI, the MKIII is just not thrilling me.

Gentlemen, thanks for your inputs.

Jake

erratikmind
12-26-2010, 6:21 AM
I missed my typo as to 1069 -- LOL -- of course I mean 1969.

I think the excessive trigger pull is caused by the way the MKIII trigger mechanically lifts the mag during travel to assure the mag is seated. Ergo, I submit the trigger itself must also be changed to a MKII type. I have heard the VQ sear gets high praise as well as the Clark MKII bushing.

If one retains the MKIII hammer, then there is that cutout region on the right side of the hammer near its axle. Do, I still need the washer fix to laterally contain the hammer -- or can I use a MKII VQ hammer? And wouldn't a VQ hammer also assure a better sear/hammer engagement?

The LCI doesn't bother me; although I think it useless; as there is no greater safety feature that safe handling practices.

Having owned a MKI, the MKIII is just not thrilling me.

Gentlemen, thanks for your inputs.

Jake

I did not have any issues with my SS MK III Hunter out of the box. Initially, the trigger was fine for me. The MK III shot fine with regard to the OEM trigger pull. However, the magazine safety/disconnect was bothersome. I disliked having to manually pull empty mags down and out to reload them.

I replaced the factory hammer bushing and the bushing pin with the Clark over sized MK II kit. The Clark bushing is over sized and is pressed in to the MK III's hammer, if the hammer is per specs. Being that it is a pressed fit, this removes the slop out of the movement between the hammer, bushing, and pin, as they all move together.

During the replacement of above said, simply remove the mag safety and spring prior to installing the Clark components.

The MK III Clark hammer bushing and pin part is CLK-515SS for stainless and CLK-515B for blue. The same for the 22/45 are also listed per the following link.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22pts.htm

I also completely removed the LCI unit. It has been replaced with a SS filler piece. Some people opt in either leaving the LCI slot void, replacing it with the plastic OEM LCI piece minus the metal actuating tab and spring, or filling the slot with a new filler piece.

I have a not replaced the sear yet. However, I am contemplating on getting a VQ sear.

trob
12-26-2010, 6:28 AM
Ouch, this is the first negative post about a Mark III I have read in a long time. T
I love mine and it shoots great. I dont know how heavy my trigger is but it isnt that bad, but yours might be heavier.

agreed. i love mine

Donny1
12-26-2010, 10:55 AM
VQ sear, MKII hammer bushing, homegrown trigger stops and rounding the mag feed lips. Last time out had no issues except for one dud out of 400 rounds. Trigger pull is about two pounds. Just do it!

On a side note:

When I ordered the parts, I did the washer mod for mag disconnect while I was waiting (I got bored) for them to arrive. What I found when I got the new bushing installed was that without the first washer up against the hammer installed, the MKII hammer bushing only rides on a small area of the hammer. It works but I was not comfortable with it and ended up putting the one washer back, in conjunction with the new bushing. The bushing rides flush all the way around and it took a lot of creep out as well.

Donny1
12-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Also, you can disable the LCI by removing just the metal tab and spring that contacts the casing. Disables it, leaves the bar in place and no money spent.