PDA

View Full Version : Just bought first 10/22 Ruger

870JG10/22
12-25-2010, 6:53 PM
I just bought my first Ruger 10/22 im still waiting on my ten day hold to be up. I was wondering if its easier to make my own wood stock from scratch or just to buy one. My grandpa is an good wood worker and I bought the plastic stock one because i like the stainless barrel and the wood finish on the Ruger looks like a fat guy was running late for lunch and had to finsih that stock before he could leave. So i was going to help my grandpa do a stock that would be better then what would have came with it. Also is there anything I should do before I take my rifle out. What size scope should I get for it and anything that should be an absolute thing I get for it? What kind of ammo is best for it I have heard bad things about Remington not being the best ammo will that hold true in my Ruger?

VegasND
12-25-2010, 6:57 PM
You made an excellent purchase. I've only got 3; 2 I've had for over 30 years. You'll probably make sure you always have at least one from now on.

As for changing them, you can decide for yourself whether to buy available parts and accessories or if you truly want to make something yourself.

Start searching on the internet -- you'll be amazed and bewildered by all the choices available to you.

Oh, and get ready to spend some money.

littlejake
12-25-2010, 7:00 PM
Swap out the trigger group for one in a metal housing that's had a trigger job; plus the auto bolt release modification.

870JG10/22
12-25-2010, 7:11 PM
Swap out the trigger group for one in a metal housing that's had a trigger job; plus the auto bolt release modification.

Ok so who do I order that threw is that direct from Ruger or aftermarket? And is the auto bolt release mod legal in CA? I really dont know much about these guns shotguns I know about but this is my first rifle minus a 1900's .22 winchester that has no sights and hasnt been fired in at least 20 years.

MongooseV8
12-25-2010, 7:16 PM
It will be much much easier to just buy a 10/22 stock that you like. There are about 97498549 different kinds to choose from :p

However if your Gramps is up to the challenge, making a stock from scratch wont be the hardest thing hes ever done I bet. Plus that way you will have something cool and custom that your Gramps made with you.........

Izzy43
12-25-2010, 7:19 PM
I just bought my first Ruger 10/22 im still waiting on my ten day hold to be up. I was wondering if its easier to make my own wood stock from scratch or just to buy one. My grandpa is an good wood worker and I bought the plastic stock one because i like the stainless barrel and the wood finish on the Ruger looks like a fat guy was running late for lunch and had to finsih that stock before he could leave. So i was going to help my grandpa do a stock that would be better then what would have came with it. Also is there anything I should do before I take my rifle out. What size scope should I get for it and anything that should be an absolute thing I get for it? What kind of ammo is best for it I have heard bad things about Remington not being the best ammo will that hold true in my Ruger?

1. Before you take it out the first time give it a good cleaning, both the barrel and action to remove any factory lubricant that may be there for corrosion protection.

2. Buy small quantities of various High Velocity and Standard Velocity ammo and see what your rifle likes. .22s can be very picky. Don't shy away from Remington, while a lot of folks have horrible luck with Remington ammo there are the select few that find it works great in their rifles. Try some CCI Mini-mags from Walmart, lots of guns shoot that ammo well also Federal Lighting and Federal Automatch (made specifically for semi-autos) at Walmart. They also carry a few different Remington ammos for .22s, just be aware that most folks find the Remington is "crap" ammo so don't buy a lot if you want to try it.

3. The scope: What will be the primary use of the rifle? Hunting? Target? A little of both?

4. And most importantly, if your grandpa is willing to help with making a stock I would say yes, go for it. I'm a grandpa and woodworker and would love to help my grandson do something like that.

Good luck with your new rifle.

sequoia_nomad
12-25-2010, 8:53 PM
I was wondering if its easier to make my own wood stock from scratch or just to buy one.

Is this a serious question?

Also is there anything I should do before I take my rifle out. What size scope should I get for it and anything that should be an absolute thing I get for it? What kind of ammo is best for it I have heard bad things about Remington not being the best ammo will that hold true in my Ruger?

Get a couple bricks of Federal bulk .22 at Walmart and shoot it as much and as often as you can. When you get the basics down and can confidently hit anything you aim at out to a good distance, then it will be time to think about scopes and aftermarket parts. Many a first time shooter has honed his skills with a bone stock 10/22.

870JG10/22
12-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Well what I meant by is it easier to build it from scratch was is there a big aftermarket of stocks avalible for these guns. Its going to be mostly target and some hunting. I will say im not a bad shot with a shotgun but the rifles are going to be something new for me. Izzy43 my brother has a .22 i dont know what brand it is but him and his friend shoot regularly and had bought boxes of remington they said that they had alot of failure to fires and misfires and there guns got extreamly dirty after shooting those rounds but thanks for the advice on that. My grandpa has built Mandolin's from scratch so he does know what he's doing when it comes to wood work because i dont want my gun to just be another gun on the range i want something unique that people dont see everyday. Thank you everyone for the advice.

littlejake
12-26-2010, 5:02 AM
Ok so who do I order that threw is that direct from Ruger or aftermarket? And is the auto bolt release mod legal in CA? I really dont know much about these guns shotguns I know about but this is my first rifle minus a 1900's .22 winchester that has no sights and hasnt been fired in at least 20 years.

Clark sells the complete trigger group in metal with a trigger job for $135 (part #CLK-B2C)... sort of expensive for a gun that costs just a little over $200 -- a nice trigger just the same.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/RugerOEMtrigger.html

Yes, the auto bolt release is totally legal. It just means you don't have to manipulate the bolt latch in front of the trigger guard to release the bolt -- you just pull back on the op handle and release; and the bolt will go forward into battery.

870JG10/22
12-26-2010, 1:57 PM
littlejake how do i do the auto bolt release is that also avalible threw clark?

Sunday
12-26-2010, 2:17 PM
You can make your own stock if that is your wish but why not just shoot it as is for a while before doing anything to the rifle? Most of the cheaper ammo is just that cheaper . Great for plinking and learning to clear stoppages. Hint,,, when they make rimefire the primer is on the rim so the factory when priming the case has a machine that spins the case to spread the primer material into the rim so usually if you get a no fire rotate the case 90+* and refire the cartridge usually is goes off.

Sunday
12-26-2010, 2:21 PM
It will be much much easier to just buy a 10/22 stock that you like. There are about 97498549 different kinds to choose from :p

However if your Gramps is up to the challenge, making a stock from scratch wont be the hardest thing hes ever done I bet. Plus that way you will have something cool and custom that your Gramps made with you.........If you take proper care of the rifle it should last almost a lifetime and grandpas stock would make the rifle a keep sake. You don't know how good grandparents are till they are gone.

RobT2K
12-26-2010, 2:25 PM
You can buy the auto bolt release anywhere that 1022 parts are found, or modify the stock bolt release yourself the instructions can be found easily on the internet. I've done both ways and it's not that hard to do it yourself so I probably won't be buying that part anymore.

I just got the volquartsen hammer and the trigger pull is greatly improved, for only about 35 dollars.

870JG10/22
12-26-2010, 4:40 PM
I am very meticulous when it comes to taking care of things. I will be the same with this its an investment I know its never going to be worth a hole lot of money but it will be a gun that I pass to my kids if I ever have any and thats why I was asking about building the stock nothing can make me more proud then seeing something built with my hands or hands of my grandparents and parents but im not a gunsmith so I dont think I could build my own gun hahahaha. So with the auto bolt release is that a cheap part to buy or is it going to be similar to the 135 of the metal trigger with the trigger job?

rimfire78
12-26-2010, 7:38 PM
I've been considering doing the same.

littlejake
12-27-2010, 7:12 AM
littlejake how do i do the auto bolt release is that also avalible threw clark?

The auto bolt release mod is very simple. There are videos on You-Tube on how to do it. You remove the bolt latch plate from the trigger group and reshape a heart shaped hole. It can be done with a small pattern file or a dremel. Just made sure to deburr the hole so it operates smoothly.

One video is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl2n7V0-ac4

There are a bunch posted on this subject; and I suggest looking at several.

And, BTW, if you get a Clark trigger group that's had their trigger job, it will include the auto bolt release.

Reductio
12-27-2010, 9:32 AM
Just make sure to clean it up so it's smooth with the auto-bolt, and to make sure the top edge is slightly ROUND, not flat.

infamous209
12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
you can get the auto bolt release if you dont have a dremel. I highly recommend just shooting first before you start modding the hell out of your gun.

Got10/22?
12-29-2010, 7:11 AM
You might want to change the mag release to a quick release too.

SoCal AL
12-29-2010, 8:01 AM
1. There are a lot of aftermarket stocks for the 10/22. If you have your grandpa help you make the stock, it could be a fun project and one of a kind.

2. Clean the gun and go out and shoot it, before you decide what aftermarket goodies you want to add to your gun. This way you'll have a baseline of what the stock gun can do and then you can decide on what you want to improve.

3. A better trigger group, auto bolt release, and scope are not necessary. These are preferences by other people on here. That being said, The auto-bolt release is nice and for the scope, it depends what you are going to do with it. I prefer shooting iron sights so I would recommend buying tech sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/) First thing is to go out and shoot the hell out of your stock 10/22 first and decide what you want to use the gun for before you buy aftermarket stuff you don't need.

DGR_Spec
12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
IMHO
Clean it well, change the extractor to this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=363360&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Rifle%20-%20%28Aftermarket%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-363360

buy ammo, not just CCI's and see what your 10/22 likes.... but if you do the extractor upgrade... buy whatever's on sale..... :)

Autobolt mod is great too...

and yah shoot the heck outta it.

resident-shooter
12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I have a 1022 and I am really not big on building guns and dumping hundreds and hundreds of dollars into them. However, there are 2 things that I do not like about the 1022. One is the grip. It's way too small for my hand. It just feels awkward at the angle that it is at. I still have the original stock/grip, but I am looking to buy an ATI stock with pistol grip. Another issue is the factory iron sights. I am ok with iron sights in general, but these are such a PITA to adjust.... I said screw it and went with a red dot sight. I am thinking of switching to a fixed power scope tho since I am sick of changing batteries. Finally, I find the bolt handle to be a little too small, but I can deal with it. Again, these are just my opinions.

Ron-Solo
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Don't over build your rifle too soon. You can very easily spend more on accessories than you did on the rifle. Having a stock made by Grandpa is cool. The stock is easy to change so you could put the original on to protect Grandpa's stock.

I have a stock all weather model with a 4-9x Tasco scope from Walmart. It is very accurate. Last time I went out I was dancing a golf ball around at 50 yards. One full mag, 25 straight hits. I'd say the gun is accurate enough. I can't quite do that with iron sights, but that's because of my eyesight, not the gun.

10/22's Rock!

Francis Marion
12-29-2010, 12:41 PM
... I was wondering if its easier to make my own wood stock from scratch or just to buy one. ... So i was going to help my grandpa do a stock that would be better then what would have came with it. Also is there anything I should do before I take my rifle out. What size scope should I get for it and anything that should be an absolute thing I get for it? What kind of ammo is best for it I have heard bad things about Remington not being the best ammo will that hold true in my Ruger?

Of course it's easier to buy a stock. But while your Grandfather is still alive, if you're open to suggestions, you should both make a stock together, of course it's difficult, but it will mean a lot to you. A lot of folks would love to be able to make that choice; work with Grandpa while you can. You will treasure the project and the product. Talk to Grandpa and soak up all you can learn from him about wood work and life.

What to get? Get target iron sights from Tech Sights or Williams if you want to use iron sights. You can spend $40 on up for a rimfire scope if you wish. I find the factory Ruger iron sights to be simply horrible.

Install 1 1/4 inch sling swivels and a 1 1/4 inch GI web sling- then learn to use all of the above. The sling isn't just a carrying strap- rather, it can be used as an aid to accuracy for field shooting. Hasty sling, loop sling.

For ideas, search Liberty Training Rifle or LTR on the net.

It's good to install an extended magazine release if it does not already have one. Consider modifying the bolt release (dremel or rat tail file) to allow the bolt to be released just by manipulating the bolt handle, like a 'normal' semiautomatic firearm. Instructions for this mod are obtainable online. Otherwise, you're stuck with the awkward Ruger standard bolt release.

Appleseeds are great to learn fundamentals, and would offer a very good start for a new rifle owner.

Schedule at www.appleseedinfo.org.

870JG10/22
12-29-2010, 8:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice and I do plan to shoot it before I do anything too it I was just looking to see if there was anything that had to be improved before shooting it but so far haven't seen much but its apparent that I do want the auto bolt release but only after its went to the range after I get it. I realize that I am probably going to spend more on upgrading this gun then the initial cost of it but heck you only live once and when you die you can't take the money with you when you go.

CALI SHOT DOC
12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
You can buy the auto bolt release anywhere that 1022 parts are found, or modify the stock bolt release yourself the instructions can be found easily on the internet. I've done both ways and it's not that hard to do it yourself so I probably won't be buying that part anymore.

I just got the volquartsen hammer and the trigger pull is greatly improved, for only about 35 dollars.

I just ordered that volquartsen hammer "kit" on midway. I hope i get it tomorrow so i can install it and feel the difference.

PA_10-22
12-30-2010, 9:38 AM
A bolt buffer is a cheap and easy mod as well. Takes about 30 seconds to replace the factory buffer.

Viper49
01-01-2011, 8:56 AM
Keep it, shoot it , put a cheap BSA sweet 22 scope($50 dallors at Natchez) and see if you like it before all the mod. It might turn out to be the best rifle. The new 10/22 trigger pull are much improve over the old one. Walmart Federal bulk 550 is good to go for your 10/22.

trob
01-01-2011, 9:41 AM
it would probably be easier to just buy a quality made stock. With the machines and technology they use today, its hard to match the comfort of some of the aftermarket stocks. You can get great deals on some too.

870JG10/22
01-01-2011, 9:42 PM
So today went out and shot my Ruger I really liked it but I need to know how to adjust the factory iron sights left to right is it the same screw that adjusts up and down? I do have to say that the bolt release on it is the BIGGEST P.O.S. ever!!!! I had to fight with it to release the bolt which totally SUCKED!!! I did well 40 on paper 39 where scorers the 40th was operator error hahaha. I had to compensate for it being off to the left on the sights so I couldn't do as good but once that's fixed I should be all in the black. I had a great time shooting it fired only around 300 rounds but next time a box of 550 will be gone for sure and maybe more.