PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for... a .22

San FranPsycho
12-25-2010, 5:20 PM
Merry Christmas All,

Opting out of buying an AK this Christmas due to budget concerns and with the feeling that it might not be the best choice to acclimating my family to firearms quite yet, I decided it was time to add a .22 to my arsenal.

Too late for Christmas, me and my old man's birthdays are coming in April. Thinking about getting him reacquainted with guns from his Montana youth and getting him/us a .22. Maybe two, a semi auto and a bolt action maybe, to switch things up. Or maybe even a single shot.

So for starters I'm gonna try and find a .22 I can get him for his bday. Preferably under $150 OTD. Used would be fine as well if I can get the price lower, cause I know I could probably get a used single shot or bolt action for under $100.

So what I ask of you is, any models in particular that are bolt action, semiauto, and even single shot which are decent guns for pretty reasonable price? And if my price estimate is wrong, what should I expect to pay for used/new .22s?

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!

edit: talking about rifles only, not old enough to buy handguns and as below poster stated probably out of price range

send it_hit
12-25-2010, 5:32 PM
.22's are going to be anywhere between just under $100 to fully customized tacticool stuff for close to $1000 :rolleyes: IMHO, around $200-$250 max will get you a great rifle. Savage is great, and make some good package deals that you can see on their site, savagearms.com. The Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular semi-auto .22, and though I've never owned one, I'm sure there's a good reason for that. If you're looking for plinking fun and not precise varmint hunting, I'd say check out the 10/22 or the cheaper Savage/Marlin/Remington models. Good luck!!!

XDRoX
12-25-2010, 6:18 PM
I have over ten 22's and enjoy shooting 22 every time I go out. For your price range you are really going to have to go with a rifle, the pistols will be more expensive.

Ones to consider...

For semi-auto rifles:
Ruger 10/22
Marlin 60
Marlin 795

I really like the tube fed Marlin 60. You could find a used one for around $100.

For semi-auto pistols:
Ruger 22/45
Ruger Mk III
Browning Buckmark

I really like the Walther P22 and the Beretta Neos as well, but you won't get a lot or recommendations for these two. But mine have been great.