PDA

View Full Version : AB 2714 Sample Letter and E-Mail Addresses - Please Dupe and Use

SvenFrost
07-25-2006, 9:01 PM
Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of certain legislators attempting to accomplish through insidious and incremental legislation what they cannot accomplish in the clear light of day.

As I began to e-mail the members of the senate appropriations committee, I found that it is somewhat time consuming and difficult. To make it easier, I have attempted to "prepackage" everything you need to make a difference.

Step One: Cut and paste the following e-mail addresses of the senate appropriations committee members into the "To:" window of your e-mail provider:

Senator.Bowen@sen.ca.gov[/email], Senator.Alquist@sen.ca.gov, Senator.aanestad@sen.ca.gov, Senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov, jim.battin@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Dutton@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Escutia@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Migden@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Murray@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Ortiz@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Poochigian@sen.ca.gov, Senator.Speier@sen.ca.gov

Step Two: Insert a description in the Subject Line. I used "Constituent E-Mail"

Step Three: Cut and paste this sample letter into the body of your e-mail. Feel free to personalize it, modify it, or create your own.

Dear Senators:

I am writing to express my strong opposition to AB 2714. AB 2714 purports to prevent the online or mail order purchase of handgun ammunition within the state by requiring that identification be personally presented at the time of purchase. The stated goals of AB 2714 are already met by existing legislation as under federal law valid identification must be provided when making mail order and online purchases. Further, delivery must be accepted by an adult. AB 2714 is instead another in a long line of attempts by certain legislators to accomplish by incremental regulation what cannot be accomplished outright.

This legislation, if passed, will not result in an appreciable public safety benefit. Rather, this legislation will abridge the rights of law abiding citizens by making participation in legal activity more difficult. Further, this legislation will make it more expensive for law abiding citizens to engage in recreational activity by creating a market free of national price influence. As members of a nationwide and global economy we all enjoy the reduction in the cost of goods which competition creates.

This type of regulatory overreaching is what has led many businesses to leave this state and is further the reason for the political disenfranchisement of many of this state's citizens.

Please vote against this legislation and against any other attempt to abridge the freedoms we enjoy by making it increasingly difficult to experience those freedoms.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Step Four: Insert your name and address here.

Good job and thank you for participating!!!:) :) :)

Two questions for those in the know.

1. If you include multiple addressees in an e-mail to a legislator, will they discount it as spam?

2. Would it be better to create an e-mail list of all senators?

Any information is appreciated.

To those of you who haven't sent a letter or e-mail yet, we all need to get involved. This is our state and our country!

Best,
Sven

chris
07-25-2006, 9:16 PM
very nice letter i will e-mail them when i get the chance i think this bill will be considered early next month.

M. Sage
07-25-2006, 9:30 PM
I sent it to multiples, and from my Gmail, too.

It doesn't appear to show as spam for at least two of them, I got an automated "thank you" response (geez, how fake.. at least put a delay on it...) and an "out of the office" reply.

One addy gave me a failure to complete:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Senator.Migden@SEN.CA.GOV

Final-Recipient: rfc822;Senator.Migden@SEN.CA.GOV
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: Senator Migden

Dunno if it was as spam, or if the email addy is wrong.

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 8:33 AM
Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of certain legislators attempting to accomplish through insidious and incremental legislation what they cannot accomplish in the clear light of day.
HEAR HEAR! But others have come before you. You are re-inventing the wheel. Don't try to START something new, take your frustration and JOIN something that is already in high gear...
http://calnra.com/volunteer/

Step One: Cut and paste the following e-mail addresses of the senate appropriations committee members into the "To:" window of your e-mail provider:
Not necessary. At...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo
...are some email links that will TARGET THE RIGHT LEGISLATIVE BODY. All the lawmakers that have public emails will get the message (and those that aren't concerned with the bill will not).

I produce the ONE-CLICK system for free for NRA. it is fast and convenient and you never have to lookup lawmakers or their email addresses.

Step Two: Insert a description in the Subject Line. I used "Constituent E-Mail"

Step Three: Cut and paste this sample letter into the body of your e-mail. Feel free to personalize it, modify it, or create your own.
Good letter. One comment is that it is more effective if others modify your letter and subject (as you correctly suggest) or write their own. Copying verbatim can have the appearence of a "form letter", something that may have been originated as an automated attack. This can lessen the effectiveness of the message.

The ONE-CLICK system does not provide a subject or message body. All the messages it originates are YOURS and it's obvious to the staff offices this is real input from real Californians - no form letter.

Last thing - it's good to make your points, but don't spend too much time. Frankly, they don't care that much about what you say. They are primarily interested if you support or oppose the bill. MAKE THAT VERY CLEAR.

Do not base your arguments on the Second Amendment. It should come as no surprise that they could care less about the Bill of Rights - mentioning the Consitution just makes their eyes glaze over. if it is a financial committee (like Appropriations), target your comments from a financial impact standpoint, Judiciary, effect on the law, etc. Public Safety committee is a good place for more general RKBA type arguments.

Good job and thank you for participating!!!:) :) :)
Again, HEAR, HEAR!

Two questions for those in the know. 1. If you include multiple addressees in an e-mail to a legislator, will they discount it as spam?
No, but using the ONE-CLICK system removes the need for multiple addresses anyway.

2. Would it be better to create an e-mail list of all senators?
Already there... see the ONE-CLICK link. See AB 352 -
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab352
- those emails go to all email-available senators. When (IF) it's appropriate for AB 2714, I'll do the same thing. I have all the common gun-related committees as well as the full senate and assembly in the ONE-CLICK system. they become exposed as they are needed.

Any information is appreciated.

To those of you who haven't sent a letter or e-mail yet, we all need to get involved. This is our state and our country!
You're damned right, Sven!

But channeling as much gun-owner anger directly into ACTION (communicating with lawmakers), and less into looking up email addresses and lawmakers names, maximizes their efforts. That's the idea behind the ONE-CLICK system.

Mike