PDA

View Full Version : Ammo to major California cities, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento

Doctawho
12-25-2010, 2:13 AM
I know that midwayusa and cabelas will ship ammo to these areas but what other online sites will do it? If these large online suppliers are able to do it then why can't the smaller companies do it as well?

Norcal Industries
12-25-2010, 3:14 AM
usaammo just told me they wont ship to sacramento either, which is odd, cause i just received a case of 5.56 from dsgarms, who is also in texas.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-25-2010, 7:51 AM
A lot of online companies are fed up with dealing with the goofy gun laws in CA so they won't ship anything to CA at all

joelogic
12-25-2010, 10:51 AM
You mean Midway wont, right? Midway wont even ship me components.

dfletcher
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
You mean Midway won't, right? Midway wont even ship me components.

The SF ordinance evidently is vague enough to be construed as either a sale physically occuring in the city or a sale done through the mail. My experience also - Midway won't, and hasn't for a long time, ship so much as an empty cartridge case to San Francisco. Grafs does though and until a few months ago shipped ammo, but when I ordered some 22 or 17 HMR or bulk 223 a while back they sent me a "no can do anymore" e-mail.

I like buying other items from Midway but don't hold out much hope for them being agressive on ammo sales in CA. Actually, I think some smaller outfits who will want the business are a better hope. If a smaller vendor knows there's $$$ to be made they may make the effort.

Bill Steele
12-25-2010, 2:33 PM
I live in the City and County of SF. I have bought ammo from Midway and Cabelas, not for a few months, but for sure in the second half of 2010, delivered via UPS ground.

Recently I have also bought ammo from Able Ammo, Ammunition to go, off the top of my head.

I have recently bought components from Midway, Powder Valley, Berry's, Montana Gold, again, just off the top of my head.

There are a number of retailers online who will not ship to SF (SGA comes to mind).

dascoyne
12-25-2010, 2:49 PM

Yeah, but they have no problem sending me a fat catalogue that tells my neighbors that I'm a gun owner.

Oceanbob
12-25-2010, 4:20 PM
Just shipped me 1000 empty 10MM cases. In Orange County.
No problem.

dfletcher
12-25-2010, 5:57 PM
I live in the City and County of SF. I have bought ammo from Midway and Cabelas, not for a few months, but for sure in the second half of 2010, delivered via UPS ground.

Recently I have also bought ammo from Able Ammo, Ammunition to go, off the top of my head.

I have recently bought components from Midway, Powder Valley, Berry's, Montana Gold, again, just off the top of my head.

There are a number of retailers online who will not ship to SF (SGA comes to mind).

Is your CC card billing address SF? Midway hasn't shipped to me for years, any time I try to order ammo or components I get a no - for grins I just tried to order some 30.06 brass and got a no.

Doctawho
12-25-2010, 6:07 PM
I've also bought factory ammo from Midway + Cabelas in the past 3-4 months billed and shipped to San Francisco. I contacted them first and they both said they would ship it.

Is your CC card billing address SF? They haven't shipped to me for years, any time I try to order ammo or components I get a no - for grins I just tried to order some 30.06 brass and got a no.

Aspec5vz
12-25-2010, 7:43 PM
I buy from ammunitiontogo.com all the time and they ship to my house in Elk Grove with no problem. Granted, Elk Grove isn't Sacramento...

g19222721
12-25-2010, 7:47 PM
Midwayusa will not ship ammo to City of Los Angeles! I've tried.

They will ship primers.

dfletcher
12-25-2010, 9:14 PM
I've also bought factory ammo from Midway + Cabelas in the past 3-4 months billed and shipped to San Francisco. I contacted them first and they both said they would ship it.

I don't know about Cabelas for ammo but get components from them with no problem. I've questioned Midway and got a bounce back from Potterfield which read they don't ship ammo or components to SF. Again, I just went on Midway and got the "restricted" and "prohibited item" notice for bullets. But I also found a good deal on Hornady AMax 30 cal 168 grains and figured what the hell, so I had them sent to SSF instead. :D

Don't know what you guys are doing to get through but am glad for you.

Bill Steele
12-25-2010, 9:46 PM
;)Is your CC card billing address SF? Midway hasn't shipped to me for years, any time I try to order ammo or components I get a no - for grins I just tried to order some 30.06 brass and got a no.

Yes, ship to, bill to, cc address, etc. all same SF address. So far not a single refusal from Cabelas, Midway, PV, AMTG, Able, Montana Gold, Berry's, a lot others I cannot remember.

I have had a lot of dealers on Gunbroker refuse to ship (even an on roster) pistol, and SGA will not ship ammo (among a few others), nobody yet has refused any reloading components.

I got a particularily heavy box of a thousand 9mm rounds from Ammotogo recently and my UPS guy had to heft it up the front stairs. Tony my UPS guys said, "Hey Bill, you got one of those Ted Kacyzinki things going on or something? This is a lot of ammuntion man..." ;)

sw99
12-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I know that midwayusa and cabelas will ship ammo to these areas but what other online sites will do it?

I'm in Sac County (not Sac City), www.gandermtn.com are happy to ship ammo to me.

pyromensch
12-26-2010, 8:46 AM
there is an ordinance for sacto city, about mail order ammo, and some companies wouldn't ship to sacramento. since i live in the county, but have an address as sacramento, i changed the name, to the community that i live in, in my case "arden-arcade", and they shipped it. can't remember the company's name, it was a year or so ago

joelogic
12-26-2010, 9:14 AM
You are lucky. I have tried to place orders via internet and phone, they always get rejected. Person on the phone always says its a company policy.

Email reply I always get.

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your recent email. This is the restriction we must follow for San Francisco:

San Francisco: no ammunition, no components, Article 9, 613 It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or dealer engaging in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring any firearm, firearms ammunition, or firearms ammunition component without first having obtained a license from the San Francisco Police Department. 613.1 (b) Firearm ammunition shall mean any cartridge or encasement containing a bullet or projectile, propellant or explosive charge, and a primer which is used in the operation of a firearm. (c) Firearm ammunition component shall mean any cartridge or encasement, bullet or projectile, primer or propellant or explosive material used in the manufacture of ammunition.

Marlin Hunter
12-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Get a PO box outside of the city (Daly City?) at one of those mail stores (mail boxes etc). Some will accept UPS packages for you. I have a U.S.P.S. PO box, and MidwayUSA will ship to that address, but I can't get ammo through the post office. I can get bullets and brass shipped USPS to my PO Box.

joelogic
12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks, but there are plenty of other companies that ship to SF. I order my bullets from, Montana Gold, Grafs, and Wideners.

Uriah02
12-26-2010, 10:54 AM
However much of a disadvantage it may be for those wanting to buy it is important to remember that if the seller doesn't feel comfortable shipping or selling it is their choice. My mailing address is APO for the foreseable future, it sucks when even Amazon won't ship some products but it is their policy and shipping policy. The only recourse is to boycott them for not wanting to take the risk, or deal with it.

Marlin Hunter
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
However much of a disadvantage it may be for those wanting to buy it is important to remember that if the seller doesn't feel comfortable shipping or selling it is their choice. My mailing address is APO for the foreseable future, it sucks when even Amazon won't ship some products but it is their policy and shipping policy. The only recourse is to boycott them for not wanting to take the risk, or deal with it.

APO is military. Once the mail enters the military base it is out of the control of the shipper. The receiver can and usually does claim that their package was stolen, or never showed up. From my experience in the Army, I can say that quite a few of my own packages from home have disappeared. I just got a U.S.P.S PO box off base to receive packages.

jak77
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
You are lucky. I have tried to place orders via internet and phone, they always get rejected. Person on the phone always says its a company policy.

Email reply I always get.

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your recent email. This is the restriction we must follow for San Francisco:

San Francisco: no ammunition, no components, Article 9, 613 It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or dealer engaging in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring any firearm, firearms ammunition, or firearms ammunition component without first having obtained a license from the San Francisco Police Department. 613.1 (b) Firearm ammunition shall mean any cartridge or encasement containing a bullet or projectile, propellant or explosive charge, and a primer which is used in the operation of a firearm. (c) Firearm ammunition component shall mean any cartridge or encasement, bullet or projectile, primer or propellant or explosive material used in the manufacture of ammunition.

Wow I didnt know SF was that bad.

DeLaSeoulRZN
12-26-2010, 5:58 PM
Definitely anSF thing...My billing is SF, my shipping is San Mateo county. When I get it right, no problem, but I mixed it up once with SF as bill to/ship to on Midway and they wouldn't process it.

Doctawho
12-27-2010, 5:50 PM
Let me get this straight. If I merely fill out my billing info with my information and throw a friend's address out of SF, it will process without any problems?

Definitely anSF thing...My billing is SF, my shipping is San Mateo county. When I get it right, no problem, but I mixed it up once with SF as bill to/ship to on Midway and they wouldn't process it.

chee_seen
12-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Let me get this straight. If I merely fill out my billing info with my information and throw a friend's address out of SF, it will process without any problems?

Yes, Bill in SF and ship to outside bay area. I do that all the time and put my cousins address in Millbrae. Good to go!!!! My cousin even delivers to me!!!