PDA

View Full Version : My NIB XD .40 Tactical has hairline scratch on top of slide. Options? Fixes?

Databyter
12-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I haven't used this gun yet. I only received it a few days ago and my extent of experience with it was working on the holster tonight.

The kit holster was WAY too tight even on its sloppiest setting and I had to do some polishing and reforming & stretching to get it to where the adjustment screw actually gave me a range to work with. It appeared to have been a bit squeezed on one side in the box and wanted to stay that shape. I put a wedge in the squeezed end a few days ago and let it breathe, then tonight I polished the inside with a silicone cloth, and did the same to the gun. This is when I noticed the scratch.

I noticed while wiping it with a silicone cloth that it had a hairline scratch about an inch long right down through to the metal on the top surface. This surface does NOT contact the holster so my repetitious manipulation of that could not have caused it, and the material would not scratch it like that anyway. (Looking at it now makes me wonder how I could have missed it, and even if someone tried to disguise it with a sharpie or something, but if you're not looking for it..)

The silicone cloth I used is an old one I bought years ago but has been sealed in a resealable plastic pouch and I only used it a few times with my Browning AFTER I cleaned my gun to take care of fingerprints etc (and my Browning had NO scratches on the less durable blueing). In short, the cloth was and is clean and in new condition

Also even if there was a piece of metal from the factory or something I doubt a simple polishing would make a scratch like that down to the metal through a supposedly durable finish. I was just trying to clean off fingerprints and was hoping some silicone would make it a bit slicker in the holster.

One theory is that since it has factory installed night sights that they may have tool marked it with a sight pusher or something.

Another theory is that someone handled the gun before I bought it and racked the slide to the rear and then let it slip back through thier hand while wearing a ring or something (I don't wear jewelry, not even a watch).

I'm kinda bummed about this since it will probably defeat any chances of decent resale value, not to mention I take exceptional care of my stuff and it annoys ME even if I never wanted to sell it.

As a side note I WAS thinking of selling it unfired after I found out I could get the XDM (my first choice) in a single shot configuration.

I did give the gun a cursory inspection when I picked it up, but I missed it. it is invisable from certain angles.

I thought this was a durable finish!!

My question is

a.) do I have any recourse? and,

b.) can I retouch this one very small hairline scratch with a durable product of some kind?

Am I screwed?

1911_sfca
12-25-2010, 12:40 AM
It's a tactical handgun. Why don't you just take it out, shoot it, and not stress about the finish? This type of gun is made to be used, not babied. JMHO.

xxsleepyxx
12-25-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm certain President Obama will halt his activities and personally fly to your house, retrieve your XD 40 Tactical. Likely then, Secret Service will fly your pistol in a Velvet safety box to Croatia for a replacement. The leader of Croatia will then apologize and kneel down and bow for your forgiveness.

ZombieTactics
12-25-2010, 12:47 AM
It's a tactical handgun. Why don't you just take it out, shoot it, and not stress about the finish? This type of gun is made to be used, not babied. JMHO.

This is the right answer. I would worry about a hairline scratch on duty/HD/SD handgun about as much as I'd worry about it on a hammer or saw.

Databyter
12-25-2010, 12:49 AM

It's a very thin scratch, but it's down to the metal.

If I did it and I wasn't thinking about trading up I wouldn't be sweating it as much.

I just plunked down $700 bucks for this brand new gun with the options I wanted, and it came to me with bare metal showing. Not a scuff, metal.

Granted it's very thin like an awl would make. and unnoticable from most angles inside. Outside I imagine it would show up pretty well.

Would you buy a pistol advertised as NIB never been used that had an inch long scratch on it for anywhere near NIB cost?

Additionally I've owned lots of well used guns in the past and it usually would take me a few years to get any kind of significant nick even in a gun I shoot alot, because I don't lay em in the dirt or toss em around.

Normal wear and tear is different from an abusive scratch caused by neglect.

If I bought this gun used I wouldn't be posting.

I appreciate the advice and sentiments though, but I'm not exactly yuppy dum. I'd have liked to have had it in unabused condition at some point as that is what I paid for, especially since I am strongly thinking of trading up to the XDM.

But I'm not OCD either. When I find the right gun I plan to use it hard and frequently.

It won't be a shelf queen, but it won't be a scratched up p.o.s. either.

chim-chim7
12-25-2010, 1:55 AM
Just about every new gun I buy has some shipping damage to the finish. Most of the time they are not in areas that show. Top of the slide, well you have to look at that every time you shoot it. Take a "fine point" Sharpie marker and blend that scratch.:D

RollingCode3
12-25-2010, 2:20 AM
A gun is a tool. Shoot it.. use it... and enjoy it...

RollingCode3
12-25-2010, 2:21 AM
A gun is a tool. Shoot it.. use it... and enjoy it...

Sky_DiveR
12-25-2010, 2:58 AM
Take it back to where ya bought it, raise a big stink about it being a "New" gun and all, and try and get them to send it back, swap the upper with another they have in stock, or lose you as a customer for life. If that doesn't work, buy a gun-blue pen (perhaps at another gun store?) and touch it up. Then take it out, shoot it, and get over it.

As a wise man once said, "A gun is a tool. Shoot it.. use it... and enjoy it..." Don't recall where I read that tho. :whistling:

sd_shooter
12-25-2010, 6:52 AM
I think the quick blue is a good idea. I use it on all my guns to repair little scratches and marks, good stuff!

Now if you have your heart set on the XDM, then perhaps the scratch will just become an excuse to get that model. Then you'll have to eat the depreciation on the XD (guns are like any other gadget, they lose a little value as soon as you buy it), the taxes and DROS. And then go through it all to get the XDM.

But having shot both, these guns are not _that_ different. If you shoot it a lot (which you should) it will eventually get other signs of wear and the scratch will come part of its character.

Also, ditch the little kit holster you got with the gun! Get a real holster.

Some guns develop scratches due to their design, for example the AK safety scratch and a revolver cylinder scratch. Then it's obvious they are no longer NIB, but at least they aren't safe queens! :D

redcliff
12-25-2010, 8:04 AM
Can you post a picture of this scratch? I'd like to see what is causing you so much anguish.

Steve G
12-25-2010, 8:37 AM
Wow

ZombieTactics
12-25-2010, 8:47 AM
... Would you buy a pistol advertised as NIB never been used that had an inch long scratch on it for anywhere near NIB cost? ...
It's just a philosophical thing I guess.

I have a friend who is a VERY famous guitarist. The very first thing he does when he gets a brand-spanking-new guitar (and we aren't talking cheap guitars here) is to get an actual wood file and put several random, nasty-looking marks on the finish.

The reason? "Now it's just a guitar, and I can stop worrying about anything else but playing it." I think this has a lot to do with why he is such an awesome player.

There's some wisdom there. It may not be for everyone, but it makes a certain kind of sense.

c good
12-25-2010, 8:48 AM
It might be worth giving S.A. a call and see if they can offer a remedy.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-25-2010, 8:59 AM
Blue flames?
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww56/ProArms/Pics%20for%20Blogs%20and%20Fora/XDm.gif

hcbr
12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
don't fret about it man, you should worry more about keeping all the mechanical parts clean.

meaty-btz
12-25-2010, 11:22 AM
It's just a philosophical thing I guess.

I have a friend who is a VERY famous guitarist. The very first thing he does when he gets a brand-spanking-new guitar (and we aren't talking cheap guitars here) is to get an actual wood file and put several random, nasty-looking marks on the finish.

The reason? "Now it's just a guitar, and I can stop worrying about anything else but playing it." I think this has a lot to do with why he is such an awesome player.

There's some wisdom there. It may not be for everyone, but it makes a certain kind of sense.

GreatWisdom there. My like new find in the classic muscle car universe (1 owner), I cried the first time I scratched it. Like a baby... then.. I got over it and enjoyed the car.

My Goat was the same way, 30G car, scuffed the front skirt. I was near to popping a blood vessel angry. Made a huge stink.. then got over it and enjoyed my car. Still wanna get a baseball bat for those who like to give my baby parkinglot rash.. glkhjasdflkhkJH!KJH!!!! But I am much cooler with it all.

I don't believe in Trailer Queens and I don't believe in Safe Queens. Take em out and enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff.

zfields
12-25-2010, 1:02 PM
But I'm not OCD either. When I find the right gun I plan to use it hard and frequently.

It won't be a shelf queen, but it won't be a scratched up p.o.s. either.

are you sure your not OCD? Once scratch doesnt make it a POS. the black coating is just that, a coating, all the corrosion resistance and hardening is still there.

Also, you should bring it back just based on putting 700 down on it when they are available much cheaper online.

code33
12-25-2010, 1:22 PM
Reminds me of the time I put a scratch on the side of my XD slide after I got it refinished, even before shooting it.
Put it to good use and you'll eventually get over it as there will be more wear over time.

Databyter
12-25-2010, 2:22 PM
Problem solved.

I used a cue tip and some black shoe polish.

Now there is a dark area on the top front of the slide behind the front sight.

It doesn't bother me and doesn't distract me. The scratch did because it was right behind the front sight and a bright contrast to the matte black.

Now it doesn't reflect and call itself to my attn, and the shoe polish is surprisingly durable, won't rust, it will take me a while to rub it off.

I don't mind wear marks or scuff marks, but a bright metallic scratch right on top was distracting when it caught the light it was like white on black.

Now it's extremely unnoticable unless you look, and the fact that there is no bare metal showing makes all the difference to me.

OK, so it's grunge, it works =).

Thanks for all the tips and support.

p.s. Upgraded it to a black sharpie =).

Sunday
12-25-2010, 9:07 PM
You should see the finish on my CCW piece after years of carrying. Not pretty.

magic32
12-26-2010, 7:23 AM
it's ruined, i'll take it from you so you don't have to look at that ugly scratch....:D enjoy!

mif_slim
12-26-2010, 8:08 AM
Buy a Glock, sell me the xd.

:p