PDA

View Full Version : The New Wilsons

Sam
12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Anyone seen the new Wilsons? I know none of them are on the roster but they are pretty anyway and with the ability to single shot them, they are not completely out of reach of the average Californian. I've always been somewhat interested in a compact lightweight 1911 with an integrated rail and now they have it. Although they have made such configurations before they officially released the new models. Dang, now I need to find $3k in the couch.

GW
12-25-2010, 1:59 AM
Its worth checking the couch, piggy bank, Dad's secret drawer etc to find the $$ for a Wilson Combat
For me its the holy grail of 1911's
I WILL own one someday.

dascoyne
12-25-2010, 5:25 AM
Wilsons are overpriced. A long time ago they used to make great 1911s and developed a great reputation. After that some of their key smiths left the company and formed Nighthawk. Meanwhile Wilson just rested on their name and charged ridiculous prices for their guns. For the price of some of their pistols you could even get a full house custom from a world-class pistolsmith. I'd never get a modern Wilson.

Bill Steele
12-25-2010, 8:58 AM
Wilsons are overpriced. A long time ago they used to make great 1911s and developed a great reputation. After that some of their key smiths left the company and formed Nighthawk. Meanwhile Wilson just rested on their name and charged ridiculous prices for their guns. For the price of some of their pistols you could even get a full house custom from a world-class pistolsmith. I'd never get a modern Wilson.

Um, perhaps but a while back I rented a new Wilson Combat CQB at my local range. It was the sweetest shooting semi I have ever handled. It was also the most accurate semi I have ever shot, made me want to throw away the H&K USP and 92FS Beretta I had brought to the range that day.

Maybe just a good one slipped through, but I made up my mind that day, a Wilson Combat was on my list as well.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-25-2010, 9:08 AM
Doesn't Wilson have a accuracy guarantee from the factory?

dascoyne
12-25-2010, 9:12 AM
Um, perhaps but a while back I rented a new Wilson Combat CQB at my local range. It was the sweetest shooting semi I have ever handled. It was also the most accurate semi I have ever shot, made me want to throw away the H&K USP and 92FS Beretta I had brought to the range that day.

Maybe just a good one slipped through, but I made up my mind that day, a Wilson Combat was on my list as well.

I have no doubt it was an excellent gun. I never said they were awful guns (some say their early guns were better - but I don't know that first hand) Wilsons are still viable semi-custom 1911s. But they're still offering their guns at full-house custom prices. If you can get a used one for half price I'd say go for it.

Dragon
12-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Yes very over priced!!! nice guns but over priced.Take their top of the line 1911 it cost them in parts and machining less than $700.00 to build it.I new some one that worked there!

stormvet
12-25-2010, 1:02 PM
Yes very over priced!!! nice guns but over priced.Take their top of the line 1911 it cost them in parts and machining less than $700.00 to build it.I new some one that worked there!

That is true with all the semi-custom 1911 manufactuers. NHC, Ed Brown, Bear, Wilson. But your not just paying for the cost of the parts and machining. Your paying for the Smiths time and details that go into the gun. Overpriced yes, but then again so is a Glock or XD that probaly cost $40.00 to make.

dascoyne
12-25-2010, 3:11 PM
Wilson Combat "Classic Supergrade" semi-custom http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_supergrade.htm $4475

compare to

Burns "Best Grade" http://www.burnscustom.com/ $3950 (plus options) - the Burns gun is a full house custom gun from a world-class pistolsmith.

The Wilson is like a really nice Lexus for the price of a Bently. The Burns gun is the Bently.

The downside to a full custom is that they can take 12+ months to craft from the ground up.

jessegpresley
12-25-2010, 3:14 PM

A modern Wilson is the best gun they have ever made. Today you can get a Wilson made completely MIM and casting free, something not possible just a few years ago. Only Wilson and STI do that. Parts that were previously from castings can now be had "Bullet Proof", which is what Wilson calls their parts from bar stock. Wilson makes their parts in-house; even frames and slides. And they're made of steel from an American forge. My 2 year old Wilson has a cast ambi safety.

You can even get a grip safety from bar-stock. Overkill? Yes. My Nighthawk Custom has cast parts from 3rd party manufacturers.

Ron Philips, who left Wilson and went to Nighthawk, is now back at Wilson. For what Wilson charges you can have a full house custom made by a world class pistolsmith; at Wilson. Can I send my Springfield TRP made from Brazilian steel to Heirloom Precision and wait a year for them to make me the best pistol in the world for $5,000? Yes. Custom smiths are great. But you can also get an amazing gun from Wilson. And if it has what you want, then why not?

When you make everything in the US yourself, out of the highest quality components, utilizing skilled American labor, it's gonna be expensive. Wilson makes a fantastic gun. Happy holidays.

Cyc Wid It
12-25-2010, 3:17 PM
If I'm spending > $3500 it's going to be coming from CT Brian, Heirloom Precision, Stan Chen, etc. not from a semi-custom shop.

jessegpresley
12-25-2010, 3:33 PM
If I'm spending > $3500 it's going to be coming from CT Brian, Heirloom Precision, Stan Chen, etc. not from a semi-custom shop.

I saw a CT Brian Chopper sell the other week for $6500. Heirloom Precision is $4200 - $5000 plus your firearm and will take about a year. Stan Chen is north of $7,000 and will take a few years. These prices (and times) are not close to the $3k-$4.5k that Wilson asks for retail, and well above what they sell for on the secondary market.

Dragon
12-25-2010, 3:41 PM
When you CNC machine something the price should come down alot !! $3000 + for a wilson way to pricy?

Dragon
12-25-2010, 3:43 PM
That is true with all the semi-custom 1911 manufactuers. NHC, Ed Brown, Bear, Wilson. But your not just paying for the cost of the parts and machining. Your paying for the Smiths time and details that go into the gun. Overpriced yes, but then again so is a Glock or XD that probaly cost $40.00 to make.

That included assembly!

Cyc Wid It
12-25-2010, 4:38 PM
I saw a CT Brian Chopper sell the other week for $6500. Heirloom Precision is $4200 - $5000 plus your firearm and will take about a year. Stan Chen is north of $7,000 and will take a few years. These prices (and times) are not close to the $3k-$4.5k that Wilson asks for retail, and well above what they sell for on the secondary market.

This is true, but I guess I should have clarified. I think Wilsons are great guns, and I wouldn't mind owning one at all... I just think once you hit about $2500+, you might as well go all the way with a custom. Given that criterion, I think I would look to find a Wilson on the secondary market.

i<3HK
12-25-2010, 7:53 PM

Totally agree, they're not bad, but I feel they're overpriced