PDA

View Full Version : Sig 226 22LR Conversion

reagan8
12-24-2010, 1:55 PM
I just got back from my first outing with my new Sig 22LR Conversion, and I'm very happy with it.

I was planning to break it in with MiniMags, but I haven't been able to find any locally. I used some 40gr Federal Game Shok and 36gr Winchester (333) instead. In ~200 rounds, I only had one failure to feed with the Winchester ammo. The Winchester grouped better than the Federal, but both were surprisingly accurate. Both shot slightly left of point of aim.

I've never shot my 226 very well (with 9mm) and was considering trading it in, but I've definitely changed my mind now. The conversion kit makes it a very fun gun. My only complaint is that the slide does not lock open, but I think that there is a guy who makes custom followers that fix that issue; I think it's worth the investment because I lost count and dry fired a few times.

Unfortunately, I think the sale from Sig ($249) has expired, but I definitely recommend buying one.

FlyboyJS
12-24-2010, 2:10 PM
I purchased the kit for my 226 as well when Sig came out with that holiday special. Mine hasn't been delivered yet. The guy on the phone said that the 226 kits were on backorder. Glad you had a good experience, I'm hoping mine comes in soon.

I'm also waiting for my new EMP to get out of the 10 day waiting period.

Looking forward to both coming in and getting out to break them in.

aznanimekid
12-25-2010, 7:45 AM
any extra info on those custom followers?

Kram12085
12-25-2010, 9:19 AM
Have you checked Wally World for Minimags? That's where I stocked up on them. I thought I'd have to break my kit in too, but it ran everything I fed it the first time out. If anyone is considering buying one, you can't go wrong!

El Gato
12-25-2010, 9:24 AM
We have had great luck with ours..
we use it for clients and it seems to feed really well...
not as accurate as say my smith 22S or ruger autoloaders..but that is only to be expected with a floating barrel/slide setup...

this works way better than my advantage arms glock conversion...way better...
glad yours is the same...

we have some issues installing and removing the thing due to the guide rod and the disassembly lever not being totally in sync...but no worries..we get it done and shoot away..

glad it works for you

shinbone
12-25-2010, 3:58 PM
I had a kit on my p226 9mm. I also got the follower and spring kit. The follower is nice in that it locks back the slide after the last round... but it doesnt hold the slide back through use of the slide release mechanism. The follower is tall, and it lodges itself againt the breech block. To release the mag, you have to manually pull the slide back and lock it yourself. So, its basically just a way to not dryfire after last round, but not for practicing mag changes.

reagan8
12-25-2010, 7:40 PM
Here's a link to the followers (not cheap!):
https://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/shoppingcart/products/Follower.html

FlyboyJS
12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Just got an email that my 226 conv kit is on the way. I guess they are running through some of the backlog.

cmichini
12-30-2010, 8:19 AM
I've got one for my 226 and I've never fed it anything special. I just feed it whatever rimfire I have on hand (Remington Golden Turd, Winchester Wildcat, Federal, etc) and have had nearly no problems. Out of maybe 500 rounds I think it's only had 5-6 instances of not going fully into battery, but a push of the thumb to seat the slide all the way forward and away you go.

Logan3
12-30-2010, 6:41 PM
Just got one for my 229. Had a lot of fun with it but had only limited range time after putting 300 rounds through my 522 and 100 9mm through the 229. Taking it out tomorrow for an extended session.

GSXRMAN
12-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I have a Sig 22LR Conversion kit for my Sig 220. The mags that came from Sig constantly jam the 1st or 2nd round. Sig told me they have a new mag coming out soon for it and i should hold off on getting rid of it...i've put maybe 30 rds through it, and now want to get rid of it. Is there a 226 part number and a 220 part number? Or will the same 22lr conversion work for either?

reagan8
12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
... Is there a 226 part number and a 220 part number? Or will the same 22lr conversion work for either?

They're different part numbers (at least for the upper itself; not sure about the magazines).

I received the custom followers yesterday (great service), and they appear to be well made. If it doesn't rain today, I'll give them a workout.

Earlier this week I put ~200 rounds of the Winchester bulk pack (333) ammo through it, and I had a few stovepipes. No such problems with the Federal Game Shok or Match ammo; while the Match functioned flawlessly, the group sizes weren't anything special. Still waiting for my order of MiniMags to arrive.

9mmepiphany
12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
I think you'll be happier with the function of the MiniMags. They are what the factory recommend and all I've ever used in my conversion (on a 226ST). The MiniMags are very clean and seem to just run and run...which is pretty good for a rimed cartridge feeding out of a plastic mag

reagan8
01-10-2011, 6:05 PM
I finally received my order of MiniMags, and they seem to be very reliable. Through 100 rounds, I had one failure to fire and no FTFs or FTEs; I pulled the trigger a second time on the failure-to-fire, and it went off. As far as accuracy is concerned, I had a few fliers that I didn't have with the Federals and Winchesters that I tested earlier; however, it was pretty darn cold, so I need to give them another try before concluding whether they are more or less accurate.

This was also the first trip to the range with the custom magazine followers, and they worked great. They're a little pricey, but eliminating the accidental dry fires is worth it.

GSXRMAN
01-16-2011, 1:09 PM
So Reagan8, you got Custom Followers and MiniMag's. And your content with how it now operates vice the stock (from the sig kit) Original Mags and Followers?

reagan8
01-16-2011, 7:31 PM
Yes, I'm very happy with it. Ideally, I'd like the slide to lock all the way back so that I could use the slide release and the magazines would drop free, but other than that, no problems.