PDA

View Full Version : Cox rocks!

MrTuffPaws
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I wrote my Senator (Dave Cox) imploring him to vote no on AB 2714. Here is his reply:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

My stance on additional gun control legislation has been clear. I have consistently opposed efforts to restrict the ability of law-abiding citizens to be able to purchase and legally use firearms.

Again this legislative session, numerous bills aimed at curtailing Second Amendment rights have been proposed. I have included below a summary of legislation that may be of interest to you:

Senate Bill 48 criminalizes the act of selling ammunition to an underage person whether or not the seller knew the person was underage. SB 48 passed the Senate on April 25, 2005 by a vote of 21 to 15. I voted against SB 48. The Governor signed the bill into law on October 7, 2005.

Senate Bill 59 (Lowenthal) makes it a crime for a person to not report their gun being stolen or lost to a law enforcement agency. SB 59 passed the Senate on May 31, 2005 by a vote of 22 to 15. The bill is currently in the Assembly.

Senate Bill 357 (Dunn) and Assembly Bill 352 (Koretz) seeks to implement a gun ammunition serialization program which would require every piece of ammunition sold, manufactured or possessed in the State of California to contain a unique serial number for identification purposes. The measures would also make it a crime to possess unserialized ammunition in a "public place" after July 1, 2007. SB 357 passed the Senate on June 2, 2005 but did not advance from the Assembly Appropriations Committee. I voted against SB 357 when it came before me in the Senate. AB 352 passed the Assembly on June 2, 2005. It subsequently failed a Senate floor vote on September 6, 2005 by a vote of 20 to 19. However, the bill is still eligible for reconsideration in the Senate. I will not vote in favor of AB 352 should it come back before me on the Senate floor.

Assembly Bill 98 (Cohn) is a very large and confusing measure that sought to extend California’s concealed weapons law to include as a crime possessing an unloaded and unconcealed weapon in a public place. AB 98 officially died on January 31, 2006.

Assembly Bill 944 (Ridley-Thomas) would have required firearm dealers to post a dire warning regarding the "dangers" of owning and keeping a firearm in the residence. It would have also required the same warning to be placed in all gun sales contracts. AB 944 passed the Assembly on May 26, 2005, but did not advance from the Senate Public Safety Committee.

Assembly Bill 996 (Ridley-Thomas) seeks to prohibit California retailers from displaying gun ammunition in such a way that would allow customers access to the ammunition without the help of a store employee. AB 996 passed the Senate on August 25, 2005 by a vote of 22 to 15. I voted against the bill at that time. The Governor vetoed this bill on October 7, 2005.

Assembly Bill 1002 (Nava) sought to phase out lead-based gun ammunition in the State of California by the year 2009. This bill officially died on January 31, 2006.

Assembly Bill 2111 (Haynes) resolves a technical loophole that had the potential to unfairly inconvenience California handgun buyers. The bill allows a purchaser of a DOJ-approved handgun to complete the legal transfer of the weapon in the event that the manufacturer of the weapon fails to pay a required annual fee to the federal government. I voted in favor of this measure on June 26, 2006 and the Governor signed it into law on July 12, 2006.

Assembly Bill 2714 (Torrico) requires that all handgun ammunition sales in the State of California be contingent upon verifying the purchasers age in person at the time of sale. This has the effect of banning handgun ammunition sales over the Internet and phone. AB 2714 passed from the Assembly on May 31, 2006 by a vote of 43 to 34. The bill is now in the Senate. I will not vote for this piece of legislation should it come before me in its current form.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call my office.

Sincerely,

DAVE COX

Senator, First District

What is nice is that he really opened my eyes to the shear amout of anti-gun bills floating the floors of the capital.

grammaton76
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I wrote my Senator (Dave Cox) imploring him to vote no on AB 2714. Here is his reply:

What is nice is that he really opened my eyes to the shear amout of anti-gun bills floating the floors of the capital.

If that's an eye-opener to you, have you seen this page?

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml

MrTuffPaws
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah, and I am usally on top of the issues, but they are scattered about. Putting them all in a nice neat package makes one realize how doomed we are here in CA

thedrickel
07-25-2006, 9:58 PM
It just seems to me like gun owner's are an easy target for politicians to exploit for political gain (re-election). Also lots of young people in this state who have grown up in the "guns are bad culture" of the 80s and 90s who haven't taken the time to learn some history. . . but they can be persuaded to be libertarians in about an hour.

chris
07-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Yeah, and I am usally on top of the issues, but they are scattered about. Putting them all in a nice neat package makes one realize how doomed we are here in CA

i don't think doomed fits into this catagory how about completely screwed without a reach around. this is the gun owning community's fault. most gun owners do not vote or vote with their wallet or they are affraid of losing their job if they vote for the other guy insert unions here. this only applies to the unions here. also we all saw who really runs the state it's not you the serfs (public) it's unions. i'm only stating my opposition to unions who have abused the power they hold for political gain and screw the entire state. they are very few people who are in unions but their money is in the millions maybe more. this is only a generalization and i may get slammed for this but this is how i see our goverment works and who it works for.

sorry for the rant.

but this site is great for getting the word out and the members here could swing a vote if they are slammed with endless phone calls and mountains of letters and faxes. if we do not fight this were really screwed.

rep Cox is a strand up guy and does his job for us too bad he is a rare species up in sacramento.

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 7:44 AM
Then that was a bad package. Doomed, eh? So you're going down without a fight? Already given up? Bad soldier. Declaring we've lost is nothing but an excuse for not getting off your butt and doing something yourself! Other excuses?
- I don't want to be on a list.
- NRA sucks.
- I've already joined [whatever group]
- Don't have time, just tell me who to vote for
- NRA sends me too many fundraising letters
- I do my part on the internet
- That's waht I pay NRA to do
..etc, etc, etc

If you haven't joined your local NRA Members' Council, you haven't even started to fight.
http://calnra.com/volunteer/

And BTW, the bills are not "scattered about" on that page - they are all there, in numerical order, explained, with contact tools:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml

And instead of NRA's resource, you choose to believe a lawmaker? No, we're not doomed, but this is one reason gun-rights are in trouble in CA. Most gun-owners are not involved. (Posting to gun forums is NOT "being involved".)

Can't take the time to read the NRA page, eh? That page is defined by your NRA staff and lobbyist and put together by volunteers (mostly myself) at their direction. It is NOT "scattered around". If only every CA gun-owner could put out ONE-TENTH of the effort they do, there would be zero gun control problems in this state!

*****ing, moaning and complaining, but not much doing. God, it gets old. This syndrome - leaving the job to someone else, then complaining about what doesn't get done - is the biggest stumbling block to progress in this state. You are given the tools, the information and a grassroots network to join . Have you?

Mike

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 7:54 AM
You know what gun-owners need to do to stop gun control in California?

MORE.

Mike

6172crew
07-26-2006, 8:17 AM
You know what gun-owners need to do to stop gun control in California?

MORE.

Mike
Mike, I signed up at the NRA website and havent heard anything back from anyone. Im in Contra Costa.
Thanks

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 9:03 AM
Mike, I signed up at the NRA website and havent heard anything back from anyone. Im in Contra Costa.
Thanks
Thank YOU.

First, is that West or East Contra Costa? (West is my MC).

Second, if you signed up at...
...you received info (on the screen and in email) about the MC's monthly meeting time and location (as well as other info).

You may not hear anything back - the point is to get you to the monthly meeting to join the MC. No other state has NRA Members' Councils - LET'S USE 'EM!

You can't really fight gun control just from home. You can do alot from your computer - send emails, learn info, etc, but you can't really take part in an organized effort unless you actually connect physically. That's why there are about 25 MCs across the state and we are always looking to fill in the holes. For example, I just asked a very dedicated Vacaville NRA member who says he can get friends to work with him - DO you want to start an MC in Vacaville?

map of MCs...
http://calnra.com/mc/directory/
...clicking on a name shows that MCs contact info page. Putting your email address and zip code into...
...will identify your local MC and subscribe you to our California Alert list (CAL-ERTs).

There is a great degree of diversity in these MCs. Some are big and host all kinds of internal committees, put on NRA classes like Eddie Eagle, Refuse To Be a Victim, etc. Others are small and REALLY need you to join.

But they are all connected to the top NRA staff in the state and get direct instructions from NRA about the bills and what to do. the MCs hear about things first, even some stuff that isn't distributed publicly.

One graet example: On the last day of the legislature, we are standing by our computers, even at 3AM, ready to respond to our lobbyists calls to action. The lawmakers used to pull a LOT of gun-crap in those hours, but when Ed Worley got the ability to generate hundreds of calls within minutes in the middle of the night, IT PUT A STOP TO THAT!

here's another example of a great coordinated MC effort that took MONTHS to plan and execute. WE HAND DELIVERED OVER 32,000 LETTERS TO SACRAMENTO ONE YEAR!
http://nrawinningteam.com/0105/camc.html

But you gotta come out and join to get in on this fun. I can't think of a more effective way for a member to make our NRA stronger in CA.

BTW, I hope it's West, because I'd love to meet you.

Mike

6172crew
07-26-2006, 9:22 AM
Im in Concord, I think that puts me in the East. I was hoping to hear from someone and get some direction, although it looks like the meeting place is in Antioch.

I guess I will be there on the 8th of Aug. Hopefully they have some good ideas as to the right way to send off these letters to the DOJ.

gmcem50
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks

Same here; I signed up (in Orange County) and no one contacted me either.:(

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 1:05 PM
Same here; I signed up (in Orange County) and no one contacted me either.:(

But you received info about their monthy meetings, right? The goal is to connect you with your local Members' Council and other NRA members in your area. Please go to the meeting.

What did you expect? Really, I'd like to understand if there's a misconception as you're the second person with the same question. Is there something we can add to the info returned by the volunteer form to make this clearer?

Mike

mikehaas
07-26-2006, 1:08 PM
Im in Concord, I think that puts me in the East. I was hoping to hear from someone and get some direction, although it looks like the meeting place is in Antioch.

I guess I will be there on the 8th of Aug. Hopefully they have some good ideas as to the right way to send off these letters to the DOJ.

Darn, I lose more volunteers that way (to East CoCo :-)

Excellent. Say Hi to the guys out there.

Mike

6172crew
07-26-2006, 1:19 PM
Darn, I lose more volunteers that way (to East CoCo :-)

Excellent. Say Hi to the guys out there.

Mike

Will do, when I sign up as a volunteer should I also receive any updates or emergency voting instruction?

PanzerAce
07-26-2006, 2:07 PM
It just seems to me like gun owner's are an easy target for politicians to exploit for political gain (re-election). Also lots of young people in this state who have grown up in the "guns are bad culture" of the 80s and 90s who haven't taken the time to learn some history. . . but they can be persuaded to be libertarians in about an hour.

you might be surprised actually. I know that at UCM, where we have people from the SF and LA areas, as well as the central valley, most of the people I have talked to really dont care one way or the other about firearms. Really all that is needed to get them interested is to take them to the range once.

DSA_FAL
07-26-2006, 7:12 PM
I don't know about the meetings. The San Diego chapter has meetings once a month at a crappy time, so I can't ever make them. So what exactly do you want me to do?

6172crew
07-26-2006, 8:03 PM
I don't know about the meetings. The San Diego chapter has meetings once a month at a crappy time, so I can't ever make them. So what exactly do you want me to do?
Write a good letter to the DOJ telling them why the fixed mag made perm is a bad idea and how it effects gun owners negatively.