PDA

View Full Version : Just back from South Texas Deer Hunt

davebw226
12-24-2010, 7:42 AM
I just got back from a 5 day Deer Hunt on a friend's ranch in South Texas. It's official...i'm not going to bother hunting for deer in CA anymore. The place is silly with deer. Although because everyone is after bucks, the doe to buck ratio is something like 15 to 1. I didn't help matters. if you're just looking to fill your freezer though, texas lets you take 5 or 6 doe on a permit. warning...out of state TX permit costs $305, kinda steep, but not so bad when you consider that the hunt is a sure thing given the deer population. Now before anyone asks...NO this was not a high fence operation. These are truly wild deer free to roam. I could have filled my limit over the 5 days but really had no need for all the meat or a reasonable way to get it home, so I was pretty picky. Ended up taking an 8 point on day two at about 170 yards. One round in the boiler room. Then I took a second buck on day 4 at just a hair under 200 yards. It has a pretty funky asymetrical 11 Point rack. due I think to both genes and some serious fighting. The first shot was hurried and passed clean through the base of his neck, which put him down for good, but didn't kill him. ended up putting a second round in his heart at close range to speed his death.

an added bonus was going out every night to pig hunt. I got a good sized sow, and again could have shot a lot more but didn't really see the need. we probably saw hundreds of hogs over the 5 days. Texas allows nighttime hog hunting, but that means you have to catch them in the open with your binos. Seeing them in the dark with my 48 year old naked eyes was almost impossible.

I've included a couple of photos of the two deer I took. figured there are enough hog photos here already. I'm having the bigger one mounted by a place in Dallas that does all the work for the King Ranch. They take a long time but have a great reputation.

BTW, I flew Southwest and didn't have a single issue checking my weapon either direction, or a cooler full of frozen meat on the way home. Props to SW Airlines for being hunter friendly.

Needless to say, i'm lucky to have friends with a ranch in Texas, and hoping to be invited back again.

sniper4usmc
12-24-2010, 7:50 AM
nice shot and very nice rifle

Fjold
12-24-2010, 8:12 AM
Nice second buck, great mass and an older deer. Texas is a nice place to hunt and the $305 license isn't bad considering like you said, it's a sure thing and most counties allow you to take from 3-5 deer.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-24-2010, 8:24 AM
Great job! Very nice deer.

Ross
12-24-2010, 10:14 PM
OK is the same way. I was luckey enough to be able to purchase a Military Disabled lifetime license. Comes with all the tags.

Since I drive I max out my tags and my son's every year.

Divernhunter
12-24-2010, 10:34 PM
You might be carefull about posting you fill your sons tags. That probably is not legal.

Ross
12-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Kind of misleading. My son's tags are maxxed out every year too. He shoots them, not I.

Heck if I did that, he'd expect me to dress and process them.

elevated
12-25-2010, 3:54 PM
wow thanks for the cool post...

Hunt
12-25-2010, 9:27 PM
so where does one find land to hunt on in TX that doesn't cost $10K ? There is NO public lands in TX!

davebw226
12-26-2010, 8:10 AM
Yeah. Definitely an issue. Maybe there is enough interest for a calgunners hunting lease. Not a bad idea for right here in CA as well.

aceventura
12-26-2010, 8:14 AM
Nice Deer and Nice rifle.

popndrop
12-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Where were you hunting? I have a buddy with a big lease on the King Ranch where I hunt each year. I love South Texas, the most game anywhere in the US I think...could be wrong, but from what I've seen it can't be beat.
Nice post, and nice deer.

davebw226
12-27-2010, 5:59 AM
I was just outside a tiny town called Carrizo Springs. About 2 hours southeast of San Antonio. I've never seen so much game.

NSR500
12-27-2010, 6:13 AM
We're blessed with good game in Texas. Looks like you definitely had a good hunt.

popndrop
12-27-2010, 1:23 PM
There is so much game there, but at first glance it looks like nothing could survive there.
I'll be heading down next month for my 2nd trip this season - I can't wait.

Hunt
12-27-2010, 7:57 PM
We're blessed with good game in Texas. Looks like you definitely had a good hunt.

how does one come by a hunting lease? Is anything affordable?

NSR500
12-27-2010, 8:15 PM

Let me email my friend and have him ask his Dad about the terms of their lease. Since it's the holidays it may take a bit, but I'll post his reply.

Hunt
12-27-2010, 8:31 PM
Let me email my friend and have him ask his Dad about the terms of their lease. Since it's the holidays it may take a bit, but I'll post his reply.

it must be a chore because TX is private you would need to contact thousands of private landowners to find the kind of hunt you want.

chris
12-27-2010, 9:56 PM
my friend and i plan on going to Oklahoma. we have a place to stay and drink also. and tags there are about 256.00 for buck and doe tag online. so hopefully we can do it and save enough money.

glad you had a great time.

kyletxria1911
12-28-2010, 1:54 AM
so where does one find land to hunt on in TX that doesn't cost $10K ? There is NO public lands in TX!there i quite a few
i live just south of austin and i drive a gas truck and see land all the time

Hunt
12-28-2010, 3:10 AM
there i quite a few
i live just south of austin and i drive a gas truck and see land all the time

I thought there were castle doctrine laws in TX so if one trespasses it's not a good idea!

Ross
12-28-2010, 6:46 PM
my friend and i plan on going to Oklahoma. we have a place to stay and drink also. and tags there are about 256.00 for buck and doe tag online. so hopefully we can do it and save enough money.

glad you had a great time.

Where abouts in Oklahoma?

delisle
12-29-2010, 7:47 AM
I was just outside a tiny town called Carrizo Springs. About 2 hours southeast of San Antonio. I've never seen so much game.

I grew up in that area, Dilley TX to be specific. We harvested alot of those big deer to live off of when I was a kid. Carrizo Springs is BFE for sure. The Kings really own all of that land out there. Alot of the ranchers will let you hunt pigs on their property without a hunting lease, those nasty things tear up property and fences.

NSR500
01-13-2011, 1:48 AM
Just checking in... I did not forget. My buddy just has not gotten back to me about the lease process yet.

duckman1
01-13-2011, 6:55 AM
My brother hunts a lease in TX. He gets 3 deer, unlimited pigs, unlimited predators, pheasant, quail and dove. It's about $1500 for the year. He says it's about average for the area he hunts in. A side note, he has yet to take his 3 deer during any one season.

I amo on the wait list for an opening.

papichulo
01-13-2011, 6:15 PM
i have an uncle that has some land in dilley. should be getting my deer jerky anytime now. can't wait to visit this december!

NSR500
01-22-2011, 6:28 PM

My buddy just followed up with me today. He says that it all depends on too many variables to give you a true estimate. You'll need your out of state hunting license, tags, and then you'll need to find a hunting lease to sign with. The charges depend on the land/lease owner and how much they'd charge you for the services rendered. You can ususally find them advertised online, so you can pick one with the type of animal that you'd like to hunt.
My friend says the alternative is a place like: http://www.fourseasonsranch.net/index.php
They provide packaged hunts and can get you set with minimal fuss.

FishinCorpsman
01-22-2011, 6:54 PM
nice kills on those bucks...when you talk about "lease", what does this mean...(new to hunting )...

Fjold
01-22-2011, 8:18 PM
nice kills on those bucks...when you talk about "lease", what does this mean...(new to hunting )...

In many states ranchers and farmers will lease out their land to hunters for extra income. Typically for multi year periods and the hunters will have te exclusive rights to hunt on the land and manage the game animals.

Big Jake
01-23-2011, 5:40 AM
Great pics brother!

davebw226
01-23-2011, 8:08 AM
Thanks Jake. It was a great trip. I kinda have the bug now. I wish I lived in a better place for hunting. Although it's tough to beat San Diego on a lot of other measures.