PDA

View Full Version : Replacement cylinder for blackpowder revolver

alpe
12-24-2010, 1:07 AM
I have been looking for a replacement cylinder for a blackpowder revolver, it is not one of the high end models, it was a kit. So my brother wanted to modify it for some reason and to say the truth, screwed it up. I was thinking of using some Chrome moly that I have lying around and just machine a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions. I haven't done a cylinder yet...thanks.

Dutch3
12-24-2010, 7:10 AM
I expect the kits are likely of the same Italian manufacture as the commonly available revolvers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the kit parts, you should be able to order a replacement cylinder.

Noonanda
12-24-2010, 9:52 AM
what kind/brand of BP revolver is it, you can find replacement parts, but it helps to know what kind of pistol it is. ;) if you cant tell what kind at least post a pic.

hybridatsun350
12-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I could be totally full of it, but don't cylinders need to be fitted to a revolver individually to ensure proper clearances?

Anyway, what's the manufacturer? Uberti? Pietta?

wellfedirishman
12-24-2010, 9:59 PM
Cabelas sells a variety of replacement cylinders for BP revolvers for about $50 a pop.

If you know the model, or post a pic so we can help identify the model, that would assist in your search.

VegasND
12-25-2010, 8:17 AM
You might look here:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=bf7fc4055e1abd6b 5ee16d230bcc631b&keywords=cylinder&x=0&y=0

CEDaytonaRydr
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I could be totally full of it, but don't cylinders need to be fitted to a revolver individually to ensure proper clearances?

Yes...

In most cases, it is not a "drop in" application. Some people have gotten lucky but the manufacturer says that some fitting might be required...

To the OP: How was the original one "screwed up"? Just curious....

Is there no way to salvage it?

Kruzr
12-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I've got two spare cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Rem. They just drop right in as they came from Cabelas. The gap at the forcing cone is no different than the cylinder that came with the gun.

I'm thinking of getting some spares for my 1851 and 1860 Ubertis.

(These are black powder guns, not S&W Performance Center Revolvers. :) )