View Full Version : Remington 870P Max/Surefire: Overkill for HD?

07-25-2006, 1:46 AM
What do you guys think of this Remmy?
Forgive the link to an auction to display the shotgun, but it was the only example pics that I could find.

So I have handled this shotgun at SJGE and everytime im there I have to pick it up at least once if they have it in stock. It feels great, and is a decent setup. If I were to purchase one, there would be no addition of anything and it would be used for serious HD as a step up from the .45. Good Idea? Price aside, given that most of the add ons could justify the pricetag.

Looking for opinions.

07-25-2006, 4:33 AM
i like that stock (if not specops, thats my second favorite, very compact, great ergo's, very solid). The Police is an awesome gun... but my only gripe is with that particular foreend light. There is the older one that is smooth that is way easier to use/grip/fight with. The light on this thing is bulky, and just not made for my hands... had one and sold it..

as to the combo? your call

07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
12ga isn't overkill for HD.

10ga might be, but 12ga is just sensible.

07-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I love my 870, got mine at Big5. I've added the Knoxx SpecOps and that made slug shooting more enjoyable. :D

07-25-2006, 3:31 PM
12ga isn't overkill for HD.

10ga might be, but 12ga is just sensible.

I gathered from his post that his question was if whether that particular shotgun was overkill for home defense (870P Max with Surefire), as opposed to a shotgun with less bells and whistles; not just a shotgun in general.

James R.
07-25-2006, 7:12 PM
That's a lot of change for a HD shotgun. A lot of the cost is wrapped up in that forend...it's also the police gun so it's Parkerized and I'm not sure but I think the trigger guard and what not is still metal on those?

If you don't need the flashlight I saw a nice 870 at turners which comes with the extended cap, Davis SpeedFeed IV Pistol Grip stock and the forend, sling swivel on the barrel clamp etc for $399 which seems like a real fair deal.

You could get an FN TPS for a fair bit less than that as well and you'd get a free c'more out of the deal.

James R.