PDA

View Full Version : 1911 for Carry & Conceal Class

thawein1856
12-23-2010, 9:46 PM
So for x-mas I got a CCW class for my dad and I to go to. (we do x-mas early). While I'm sure that it's almost impossible to actually get the permit in san diego the class should be fun and I'll probably use the certificate to get the Florida/Utah permit. So my question is if I wanted to pick up a 1911 that I could put on the permit as a carry piece what would be a good recommendation? I already have a 5" SA Loaded but would prefer to get something smaller that I don't mind holder wear/marks on.

is a 3" or 4" better? I have larger hands (I had a Ruger LCP and had to use the extended grip mags to fit my hand). I would prefer to stick with a 1911. I reload .45 hence my decision. I'm thinking I would like to spend no more than $750, $800 MAX.

Thanks for the input.

jrara
12-23-2010, 9:59 PM
I would go for 4 inch.

I have read that the 3 inchers have some issues because the barrel length is too short to take full advantage of the ballistics of .45

Plus the 4 inch ones have a full grip.

Heiko
12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
If you want a full grip then the 4" or 4.25" size 1911s are for you. For your budget you should be able to get a SA Loaded Champion in either the all-steel version or the LW alloy version. Both are somewhat difficult to find depending on your timing and I've seen some variance in pricing. The LW version seems to be more difficult. You can also look at the RIA Tactical in Commander length and perhaps even the SA GI Champion but those might not be as featured as you want. Kimbers would be represented by the Pro Carry II but that might run you over your targeted budget.

If it's intended to be a carry gun and you will actually be carrying it often, you might think about the 7oz weight difference between the all-steel guns and the alloy guns. For me it was a major factor because I carry my 1911 regularly so I figured half a pound in weight would weigh me down, literally and figuratively. Based on your stated circumstances in that you won't be likely to carry it on a regular basis, weight might not be as big a deal to you.

WebMoskal
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
1911PD S&W Scandium lightweight commander.

Sam
12-24-2010, 7:07 AM
Make sure you can get a good grip on any smaller carry gun. The 3 inch and 4 inch barrels tend to be a little more finicky but a well made 4 inch gun is possible.

ChrisO
12-24-2010, 9:39 AM
I have posted this several times in the last week or so, It is a good read especially if you're going to consider a shorter gun.
http://grayguns.com/physics-and-short-45-caliber-pistols-a-discussion/

I would stick to full size, Commanders still have a full grip and are IMO not much easier to conceal that is if we are talking about a true size commander 4.25. Not much smaller and IMO not worth the difference. A good belt and holster would make more of a difference than the .75.

rgs1975
12-24-2010, 9:52 AM
I carry a full size 5". It's not a dream like when I carry the G36 but it's not a problem either. Good belt, good holster, training and familiarizing yourself with the feel of it on and you're good to go.

bigfrank
12-24-2010, 9:54 AM
To O/p. You don't need a California CCW or even any other paperwork to get a Utah CCW.

On another note, I carried a Combat Commander back in the day for about a year. It was the only quality handgun I owned at the time. It was heavy and a bit hard to conceal. I ended up carrying it in a Galco fanny pack as that was the best option for me at the time.

MrOrange
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
If you're a big guy and have room to conceal it, I'd say a LW Commander type pistol.

Otherwise the Officer's size would be my choice. Anything smaller and the reliability factor gets too steep for my taste. I used to run a Colt Officer's ACP years ago and other than the recoil spring plug going down-range (Colt design flaw, easily rectified) it was reliable. It can even hide well in a good ankle holster.

Remember, the butt or frame size is the hardest thing to conceal, hence the wisdom of the CCO type thang (Officer's size frame, Commander sized slide for better reliability.) And believe it or not even a 5 oz. weight difference will be noticeable at the end of the day.

Barkoff
12-24-2010, 10:53 AM
It's what I chose,

4.5, 30oz S&W PD

http://greatmouseguru.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sw1911pd-01.jpg

GrizzlyGuy
12-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I was looking into this a while back and thought this info from m1911.org was useful:

Why are short 1911s considered to be unreliable? (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=54403)

Compact 1911 reliability (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=77124&page=1&pp=10)

eggfriedrice
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM

+1 - IMO excellent gun, lightweight and manageable recoil. Fits really well in my hand and am able to get on target quickly. Pair it with the the Summer Special 2 holster, some people also like the Versa Max.

MossbergMan
12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
If you are in the San Diego area, I have a Colt Defender I would be willing to part with. It is nearly new in box with ambi-safety. If interested PM and we can discuss terms and price.

SheepDogHog
12-24-2010, 1:03 PM

Rack another one up for the 1911PD. Pure awesomeness.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/shizzlethatdizzle/IMG_0137.jpg

dascoyne
12-24-2010, 1:34 PM

^this. Mine is very comfortable to carry and shoot. Duracoated in matte black.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/longbough1/1911pd01a.jpg?t=1288989675

SheepDogHog
12-24-2010, 5:50 PM
^this. Mine is very comfortable to carry and shoot. Duracoated in matte black.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/longbough1/1911pd01a.jpg?t=1288989675

Thats pretty cool dude. What kind of grips and barrel bushing?

thawein1856
12-24-2010, 7:41 PM
great feedback, thanks. how would the 1911PD S&W Scandium lightweight commander compare to the SA Loaded Champion Lightweight?

cowboy777
12-24-2010, 7:54 PM
rock island makes a 4" 1911 for about $400 and everyone seems to like these pistols. If you do get your ccw please don't use your reloads as your defensive carry ammo to many variables to go wrong I use reloads to practice and new loads to carry with. Just a little advice.

dascoyne
12-24-2010, 8:28 PM
Thats pretty cool dude. What kind of grips and barrel bushing?That's the stock bushing - only Duracoated.

The grips are G-10 Monster Grips which are, unfortunately, very hard to find these days.

fennecfrank
12-25-2010, 10:54 AM
how about this rare Colt:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=371607

only 250 were made. only $1,050. officer's barrel/slide with full size frame.

it's in san diego as well.

MicronuT
12-25-2010, 12:05 PM
bobtail commander

fennecfrank
12-25-2010, 2:59 PM
That's the stock bushing - only Duracoated.

The grips are G-10 Monster Grips which are, unfortunately, very hard to find these days.

T&A Armory in Tustin is the exclusive distributor for G-10 Monster Grips.
G-10 materials are bullet proof materials. didn't know about it until I did a transfer at T&A and I bought a set there. Very nice and durable.

Check out T&A's website, I think they still have a few in stock (http://www.taarmory.com/)

dascoyne
12-25-2010, 4:00 PM
Yeah. I bought my grips from them when they got the first batch in stock, but I lost track of them so I figured they stopped selling them. I like G-10 but vzgrips, mil-tac and others seem to make the exact same styles. The Monster Grips (made in Thailand) are refreshingly different. Thanks for the link. I ordered a set of biohazards.

SVT-40
12-25-2010, 6:05 PM
I have a Kimber Pro CDP. Great little pistol. It has "smoothed" edges so it tends to cause less irritation if it rubs against you. It also has night sights.

I also have a Wilson Combat KZ45 compact. Probably the best carry 45 made. (no photos though)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Pistols/DSC08416-01.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Pistols/DSC08410-01.jpg

Cyc Wid It
12-25-2010, 7:48 PM
Maybe try a CCO format?

MrBrent
12-25-2010, 8:49 PM
I like the Dan Wesson CCO. Over you budget thought.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-cco-bobtail/

Sunday
12-25-2010, 8:55 PM
The problem is that a really nice and they are really nice 1911 is really expensive. A Glock or XD or a Plastic M&P semi auto costs around $500.00 if you shop around. Why am I posting this? Because it will get beatup over the years and if you have to use the pistol a $500.00 pistol is better to get confiscated than a $1500.00+ 1911. Just my opinion. Besides the plastic pistols will be just as accurate and reliable as the 1911. I love nice 1911s more than can be imagined . But not for general CCW use.

rdmax
12-25-2010, 9:38 PM
A 1911 conceals very nicely. It is thinner than any plastic gun, so it does not stick out with an IWB holster. With a full size bobtail grip, it virtually has no print, even when sitting down with a lightly loose shirt. With a Commander barrel length (4"), you can sit in a car seat without the nose of the gun pushing it up. I have an ultra compact with 3" barrel and this will dissappear in a IWB holster. With an ultra, you lose one extra round. With the new dual coil springs, they are just as reliable as the standard Government models.

Green_Shooter
12-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi, I'm new in this forum, and I thought I'd say that I just got loaned a Springfield Champion by a friend who is letting me test drive it. It's kinda my first gun.
It's a great size.
Kind of a beast to handle when shooting though, maybe that's just my newness.
But as far as the size of it, I really like the way it feels. It just feels right. It has a rubber grip on it that wraps around and makes it just feel like a part of my hand.
I don't have any plans to carry it yet, I know enough to know that is bad here in CA.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a training video or book or something that I can start with to build basics. I've gone shooting with my friend, but I don't want to be Mr. Dumbass with nothing but questions. The basics he showed me seemed to keep me mostly on the paper, but I still seem to be shooting low and to the sides a lot, well really all over the place. LOL. But still mostly on the paper.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Miltiades
12-26-2010, 5:17 AM
I have 1911s in 5, 4, and 3 inch barrel lengths. I have found that the 3 inch with aluminum frame is the easiest to carry and conceal. It weighs about 25 ounces so weight is not objectionable, and the short officers grip is less likely to print on your cover garment when you bend forward. At 25 feet it is just as accurate as the longer guns, and mine (Colt Defender) has been perfectly reliable through over 1000 rounds.

I am currently on a road trip in several states where I can carry, and have been carrying it OWB in a Kramer belt scabbard with a sweatshirt or sweater vest as a cover garment. It gives me 8 rounds of .45 in the gun with a 7 round backup magazine, which seems adequate to me. The grip is long enough to just give me a three finger grip, and I have large hands.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtDefender43.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtDefender42.jpg

SheepDogHog
12-26-2010, 8:56 AM
The problem is that a really nice and they are really nice 1911 is really expensive. A Glock or XD or a Plastic M&P semi auto costs around $500.00 if you shop around. Why am I posting this? Because it will get beatup over the years and if you have to use the pistol a $500.00 pistol is better to get confiscated than a $1500.00+ 1911. Just my opinion. Besides the plastic pistols will be just as accurate and reliable as the 1911. I love nice 1911s more than can be imagined . But not for general CCW use.

This is one of many posts I have seen where someone says to buy a less expensive carry gun in case it gets confiscated. Seriously, where do you guys live and do you get in THAT many gun fights?!?! That was the last thing on my mind when I was picking out my next carry gun.

Sunday
12-26-2010, 1:51 PM
This is one of many posts I have seen where someone says to buy a less expensive carry gun in case it gets confiscated. Seriously, where do you guys live and do you get in THAT many gun fights?!?! That was the last thing on my mind when I was picking out my next carry gun.

The price and quality and ease of carry was taken into consideration when I chose my concealed carry pistol. But the main issue is why carry a $1500.00 pistol when a proper selected $500.00 pistol will do the exact same job be equal or more reliable, easier to maintain and repair etc. When a CCW is considered reliability is of major concern. Yes we most likley never will have to even have our hand on the pistol in self defense but the idea of the need is why one is carried. I am not an internet commando and I carry a S@W 442 light weight [public record] not expensive, reliable and disappears in my pocket or belt holster so it is there with me and not a physical burdon, the Honorable Sheriff [seriously] seems to really not care what you carry so that was my choice . I would guess a double stack whatever semi would be the better choice if you were put into danger and if so I would have a double stack whatever caliber pistol. An opinion was asked for and I gave my best opinion I could have based upon my experience. Again I love the 1911s and the more reliable and nicer they run the more they cost been shooting 1911s since 1971 I know how they work.

Q619
12-26-2010, 2:27 PM
Les Baer TRS with Baer Coat or some similar protective coating with an Ed Brown bobtail...keep the slim grips. Or a Glock 19 :p

MrOrange
12-26-2010, 3:00 PM
great feedback, thanks. how would the 1911PD S&W Scandium lightweight commander compare to the SA Loaded Champion Lightweight?

If'n it were me, I'd go with the Smith, because of the added strength of that scandalous alloy stuff, all other things being equal. The cheapest one currently on GB is around $830, looks like the loaded Champion is in the same neighborhood. FYI the loaded Champion isn't on the roster, I don't think any SA alloy frame 1911 sub 5" barrel is.

If you don't need the extras you could get a basic Commander type for around $500. Personally I like a bit of an extended grip safety with a burr hammer 'cause, you know, I don't like blood splashing on my shooting glasses, but I do just fine with a stock thumb safety and sights. My SD pistolas all have CTCs, BTW.

smguser
12-26-2010, 8:14 PM
I have two Para Ordnance .45's. They are both very reliable and accurate. I'm selling one of them in the for sale section. The Warthogs are small and very concealable, and you can't beat 11 rounds of .45 in a compact CCW gun!

GunLover
01-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Super reliable and accurate Para Ordnance LTC.