PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS feeding issue and misfire.

samspade77
12-23-2010, 8:24 PM
Hi--my Yugo SKS (59/66) has a feeding issue. Once I load the ammo and pull back on the bolt, the first round will hit the bottom lip of the chamber causing it to jam. This problem occurs approximately 50% of the time and is not affected by the type of ammo I use. Also, I have intermittent misfires (20% of the time). When misfires occur, I can see where the firing pin strikes the primer. It seems there are two issues; feeding jams and intermittent misfires. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

IEShooter
12-23-2010, 9:14 PM
Regarding the misfires, is it a light primer strike? Have you completely disassembled your bolt and cleaned the inside including the firing pin? Does the firing pin slide smoothly back and forth in the bolt?

If not, here are detailed instrucitons:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp

I recently bought a Yugo SKS from Big-5 and after soaking the bolt in mineral spirits for over an hour while I cleaned the rest of the rifle, I figured it was clean inside and almost didn't disassemble the bolt. Good thing I did as the insides were totally gunked up with cosmoline and the pin was frozen in place.

You might check this out. I hear some people replace the firing pin for better operation. Mine seems to work fine.

Good luck!!!

morrcarr67
12-24-2010, 7:50 AM
Regarding the misfires, is it a light primer strike? Have you completely disassembled your bolt and cleaned the inside including the firing pin? Does the firing pin slide smoothly back and forth in the bolt?

If not, here are detailed instrucitons:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp

I recently bought a Yugo SKS from Big-5 and after soaking the bolt in mineral spirits for over an hour while I cleaned the rest of the rifle, I figured it was clean inside and almost didn't disassemble the bolt. Good thing I did as the insides were totally gunked up with cosmoline and the pin was frozen in place.

You might check this out. I hear some people replace the firing pin for better operation. Mine seems to work fine.

Good luck!!!

All good advise. Just remember to be careful when replacing the firing pin. If you put it in wrong you could end up with slam fire problem.

SVT_Fox
12-24-2010, 8:31 AM
slam fire FTW!

my sks was having the same feeding issue, and the soft wolf ammo would start mushrooming and become impossible to load. I was using aftermarket mags so maybe thats the issue, I recently put the SKS all back to stock.

Stryfe76
12-25-2010, 11:57 PM
slam fire FTW!

my sks was having the same feeding issue, and the soft wolf ammo would start mushrooming and become impossible to load. I was using aftermarket mags so maybe thats the issue, I recently put the SKS all back to stock.

I'm having the same problem with the Wolf soft points in my Chinese SKS after I swapped in a Promag 10rd mag for 922 compliance. From what I can tell the feed lips are much thicker than the original stamped steel lips causing the round to feed low and hit the edge of the chamber when they feed. Mine still feeds but the soft lead deforms on it's way in, no issues with FMJ other than some scratches on the jacket. I'm going to smooth the edge of the chamber just a touch to knock off some of the rough edge, then sand the feed lips thinner and see how that goes.

6mmintl
12-26-2010, 4:55 PM
Where are you located?

Ergo the Qualmed
12-29-2010, 4:41 PM
Hi--my Yugo SKS (59/66) has a feeding issue. Once I load the ammo and pull back on the bolt, the first round will hit the bottom lip of the chamber causing it to jam. This problem occurs approximately 50% of the time and is not affected by the type of ammo I use.

Hi!

This was happening to me just two days ago, when I was shooting my Yugo for the first time.

I found that in my case, the sporadic jamming occurred because the top round was not properly seated in the magazine. For some reason, it was nose-down, ever so slightly, and so it would stick in the bottom lip of the chamber.

What I did was, I would make sure and push the rounds a little further into the magazine, towards the back, so it would make sure that the top/first round was properly seated.

BTW I only had this issue when loading by hand, not by stripper clip; What about you?

samspade77
01-08-2011, 8:22 PM
All great advice. I feed with/without the stripper clip--same problem. One thing I didn't do was disassemble the bolt, which will be next on my list. Once again; thanks for all the tips.

samspade77
01-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Update. I boiled the bolt/firing pin assembly and that definitely got rid of some gunk. Next, I let it cool down and disassembled it. I didn't have any trouble hammering out the pin. After that, I spent about one hour polishing all of the parts with extra fine steel wool. Brake cleaner was used to clean it all up. Putting everything back together was a breeze. Last, I wiped the assembly down with a towel that had a tidbit of Amsoil MP on it. Hopefully things work out at the range this weekend. I'm still working on the feeding problem; I need snap caps to do that.

shmeare
01-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I ended up replacing the mag w a tapco 10/20 fixed. Then I tried at the range w/ six diff brands of ammo. No misfires or feed problems after that... Even w/ cheap ammo.

Bo0tyBandit
01-20-2011, 4:07 PM
#1 Make sure the gas tube is in the right position.
#2 Look in to replacing the original firing pin with a spring loaded one, it's worked for me. They have them at sksman.com for $35.00

samspade77
01-20-2011, 7:01 PM
I'm going to purchase the Murray's Guns firing pin/spring kit. Just couldn't wait to take the SKS out again. The Tapco fixed magazine sounds like a good idea too.

Interloper
01-20-2011, 8:55 PM
The Murray's spring loaded pin is a must for every SKS.
In regards to magazines:
Aftermarket SKS magazines are notorious for feeding issues. There isn't a single one on the market more reliable than the stock mag.

samspade77
02-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Just installed the Murray's firing pin tonight. Will be up at Los Altos tomorrow.