PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Raffle Proposal.

tenpercentfirearms
07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Ramon, delete this if you don't want to do it, but I think we should.

6172crew came up with a great idea to raffle off a gun of his and give the proceeds to calguns. Despite his great heart, I am not sure how many people want to spend $15 on a raffle ticket for a $100 gun that might or might not be shot out.

What people will spend $20 per raffle ticket on is a nice rifle, shotgun, or handgun. Lets say a Kimber Pistol that dealer cost is $700. You sell 100 or 150 tickets at $20 each and you just made $1300-$2300 that goes to calguns.

So I am more than willing to order up a Kimber and sell it to the raffle manager at cost (plus CA sales tax)! Then we could have a few of the FFLs who are always on here like SJGE, Metroshot, someone in San Diego and myself donate the transfer of the handgun and the winner just pays DROS. I ship it to them, they DROS it. Everyone is happy.

Heck, we could make this into a monthly thing! Raffle off a handgun a month. We could even limit it to 100 tickets a month and first come first served. Basically it would cost you $20 a month to get a chance at a nearly free gun, but you would always be in the draw! You could even buy 5 tickets and increase your odds!

So here are the questions.

What is the legality of said raffle? We have to make sure it is legit as the DOJ already would love to sink this place.

What would you want to raffle? Like I said, I would order anything California legal and do it at cost.

Who wants to run it? I have a feeling if I collect the money, it might be subject to sales tax or have something to do with my business. So again, what are the legalities on raffles and who can and can't do them?

Which dealers would like to offer their services if a guy in your area wins it? And of course you could always use your own transfer dealer and pay his fees, which if it were a $100 max for a $1000 prize, you probably wouldn't complain!

Actually, I think if it is over $599 you have to report it to the IRS, so maybe we will keep it below that cost. I will ask my Friends of NRA field rep.

Lets do this! A monthly calguns raffle! Oh how sweet would that be?

Pablo
07-25-2006, 2:00 AM
Great idea!!! A monthly raffle sounds like a good way to support CGN! If you just want to keep it simple and skip all the legalities of dealing with a firearm, I would suggest to raffle an Aimpoint, Acog or any other nice accessory. The possibilities are endless! :) (I'm in for a ticket!!!)

tenpercentfirearms
07-25-2006, 6:55 AM
Raffling a firearm is no problem. Guys will do what they have to do to get a "free" firearm. However, raffling off accessories too wouldn't be too bad and that is something I can also get at cost, which helps.

jmlivingston
07-25-2006, 7:07 AM
Don't necessarily have to go as high-end as a Kimber either. How many times have we seen strong recommendations for less expensive handguns such as the CZ75b? Even a 10/22 would probably get a good response, I know I'm in need of a .22lr right now! :)

John

maschronic
07-25-2006, 8:44 AM
well,

i like the sound of this. i would buy tickets every month. :D

i do believe that you have to make calguns.net a non-profit organization. then, you can do raffles and put the money towards this site. its like having bingo at high schools to raise money for the school. they all have a non-profit organization. i don't believe its hard to get. just fill out paper work and mail it in with a check. i think its a way to show where the money get spent.

john

vonsmith
07-25-2006, 8:49 AM
I've been wanting a Kimber you mindreader you. Don't know how you knew. If you put up a Kimber, maybe a Springfield XD or even a S&W M&P I'd buy a ticket or two. :D

=vonsmith=

tenpercentfirearms
07-25-2006, 8:57 AM
The key is to use good, fairly expensive guns that you can't afford, but you would spend $20 to try and win. No one wants to spend $20 to try and win a 10/22 when with $180 more they can just go buy one. And by using a FFL that gets them at cost and transfers them to the raffle at cost, you can make some decent coin.

Ramon said in the other thread he is looking into it. So the main thing is to make a list of guns you guys would like to win. If you are going to say a 10/22, you better add on a nice barrel and scope or make it a package deal with a MKIII pistol or something. Again, this isn't a cheapo raffle. Tickets are going to be $20 and we would probably sell 100 a month. First come first served. MSRP on guns for this should fall between $500 to $1000.

Cobrarlc
07-25-2006, 9:19 AM
This is a great idea 10%.

12voltguy
07-26-2006, 2:19 PM
I would buy a ticket, but not on that $100 rifle, the dros and dealer fee would cost me $60, lol

nice big rifle 1 month
revolver another
semiato another
and so on:)

grammaton76
07-26-2006, 2:30 PM
Here's a thought for you, from back when I worked at mp3.com.

Subscriptions are where you make money. Folks just end up paying automatically every month, and it isn't really subject to the same mental checks of "do I *really* need this?' every month.

I'd personally subscribe to a $20/mo Calguns raffle.

Particularly if it were multiple choice (i.e. here's the primary raffle gun, secondary choices are X, Y, and Z).

On a side note, Beowulf / Grendel uppers are right in the price range you were mentioning. :) You could even squeeze in a fairly cheap lower + LPK + kit in and keep it under $1k, at dealer prices.

cnyankee
07-26-2006, 5:59 PM
im in as long as i dont already have said gun( well i still might be in).and just an idea how abbout doing a poll every month to see what the most popular choice would be. of course you would create the list. just a thought.

Joe
07-26-2006, 6:30 PM
i like this idea. hopefully this can happen

Lambchop
07-26-2006, 6:51 PM
I dont know if its possible, but if you were to raffle off a socom II you could probably make a killing.

tenpercentfirearms
07-26-2006, 9:47 PM
Remember these things are subject to me getting them! Socom IIs and Grendel and Beowulf uppers are not easy to come by. We would have to order it 9 raffles in advance! :eek:

I would totally be down for a AR kit month. The possibilities are endless, if we can make it all happen legally.

So how does FCSA (Fifty Cal Shooters ******) do their raffles?

maschronic
07-26-2006, 10:36 PM
whatever the prize might be, i'll be interested in buying tickets every month. i'm hoping that i would win once. :D

Nefarious
07-27-2006, 5:27 AM
LIke many others have said... this sounds like a great Idea... and I would definately pick up a ticket or two

Fjold
07-27-2006, 6:20 AM
whatever the prize might be, i'll be interested in buying tickets every month. i'm hoping that i would win once. :D

+1 on that but it would probably be better to start the second drawing after you sell all the tickets for the first one and announce the winner. That way if it takes a week to sell the tickets you keep the interest up by immediately starting another drawing and if it takes 6 weeks to sell the first drawings tickets you're not risking any money.

vonsmith
07-27-2006, 6:53 AM
I would buy a ticket or two, but not every month, just when the mood strikes me.

=vonsmith=

Mudvayne540ld
07-27-2006, 3:26 PM
sounds like an awsome idea!

Maybe a Remington 700 (LV SF in mind... but any would do) or XR-100 :cool:
Im not old enough to buy handguns :mad:

Would totally buy tickets for anything but a handgun tho :D

grammaton76
07-27-2006, 3:37 PM
Ok, so... summing up what I've seen so far:

1. Folks like the idea of the raffle.

2. Some of us want the ability to subscribe and forget about it, other people want it to be an active purchase every time. Shouldn't be a problem with the right software.

3. Price of prizes should be between $500-$1000

4. We need to have an option for the under-21 crowd. Either a non-handgun "fallback option", or simply not letting them buy tickets for handgun raffles.

5. AR kits make people happy too.

6. As Wes observes, availability of some items can be tough.

Personally, I'd think that the "primary" raffle item should probably be in stock and ready to go, but if the winner wants an alternate prize, they should be willing to sit on back-order for however long it takes.

megavolt121
07-27-2006, 5:48 PM
Ok, so... summing up what I've seen so far:

1. Folks like the idea of the raffle.

2. Some of us want the ability to subscribe and forget about it, other people want it to be an active purchase every time. Shouldn't be a problem with the right software.

3. Price of prizes should be between $500-$1000

4. We need to have an option for the under-21 crowd. Either a non-handgun "fallback option", or simply not letting them buy tickets for handgun raffles.

5. AR kits make people happy too.

6. As Wes observes, availability of some items can be tough.

Personally, I'd think that the "primary" raffle item should probably be in stock and ready to go, but if the winner wants an alternate prize, they should be willing to sit on back-order for however long it takes.

Over on www.glocktalk.com, Eric usually has quite a few sponsors that donate the prizes(not saying we have to do this). The important part is that each raffle has at least 20 winners, usually the last one's winning something small such as a Hogue Grip. I don't know if we have enough members to do that many prizes. Also Eric says that if you can't legally own the firearm you've won, he will sell it for you and forward you the proceeds. This is something we definatly should to for the under 21 crowd.

cnyankee
08-09-2006, 6:44 PM
is this tread and or idea dead? i hope not

6172crew
08-09-2006, 7:55 PM
is this tread and or idea dead? i hope not

I think we are waiting for the owner of the site to see if firearms being sold threw the site would cause him issues later.

Id think raffling other things other than stuff needing a FFL would be OK though.

I have a cherry BSA site with a carry handle mount Id donate....hint hint.:D

I think its a good idea and Id be willing to ship a buck or 2 for something I could use but dont want to spend the $20-100 bucks to buy it.

Blue
08-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Think that 100 tickets could be sold on a regular basis? It'd be a pretty cool gamble if it was like a 1 in 100 chance. Better than the lotto :D It'd be cool if members actively participated in it pretty regularly and a bunch of guns ended up getting raffled off.

maschronic
08-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Think that 100 tickets could be sold on a regular basis? It'd be a pretty cool gamble if it was like a 1 in 100 chance. Better than the lotto :D It'd be cool if members actively participated in it pretty regularly and a bunch of guns ended up getting raffled off.

depending on the price of the tickets, i'm in for $20 bucks a month on tickets!!! i think we can sell 100 tickets each time.

Nefarious
08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I again am still up for the raffle.
20$ does not seem bad, considering what is being raffled off. Im sure there are people that will NOT participate in every single raffle... but even so, there is still going to be a nice chunk of donations going to keep the board running smoothly

PanzerAce
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
In for the raffle. But you old fogies need to realize that not all of us can buy a handgun, so I (personally) think that there should be a handgun and rifle up for the raffle, and whoever wins gets to pick one or the other. (make them about the same price, duh) or if it is a package deal like mentioned earlier (a .22 rifle and .22 pistol), maybe make it 2 rifles...

tenpercentfirearms
10-22-2006, 7:38 AM
Ok, I am reviving the raffle idea. Lets see if the new owners would like to do it. The main question I have is who can legally do a raffle?

2nd, would any vendors like to donate anything to the raffle? Let me know.
guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

12voltguy
10-22-2006, 7:52 AM
Ok, I am reviving the raffle idea. Lets see if the new owners would like to do it. The main question I have is who can legally do a raffle?

2nd, would any vendors like to donate anything to the raffle? Let me know.
guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

I don't even see a misc 4sale section anymore, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a raffle.:p

tenpercentfirearms
10-22-2006, 8:27 AM
Maybe you should read between the lines and assume a raffle is a distinct possiblity in the near future. ;)

12voltguy
10-22-2006, 8:32 AM
Maybe you should read between the lines and assume a raffle is a distinct possiblity in the near future. ;)

ya and I'm sure ca will get rid of all the retarded gun lawes, hi cap mags, AW bans, drop testing...............:D

Joe
10-22-2006, 10:08 AM
i like this idea a lot

cnyankee
10-22-2006, 11:06 AM
once again count me in for a ticket per raffle

Shane916
10-22-2006, 2:13 PM
Raffle off a gift certificate for TPF :D

luvtolean
10-24-2006, 3:05 PM
We raffled off a motorcycle on another board once. That was pretty popular. :D

I'd be in depending on the raffle.

FatKatMatt
10-24-2006, 3:13 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread so don't get angry at me if someone has already suggested this.

I think this is a good idea, but why stop at brand new, somewhat common guns? Every so often we should raffle off something that is collectible, maybe a gun with a special cartouche or serial range (for military arms) or in really good condition. Just my $0.02

Nefarious
10-24-2006, 3:16 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread so don't get angry at me if someone has already suggested this.

I think this is a good idea, but why stop at brand new, somewhat common guns? Every so often we should raffle off something that is collectible, maybe a gun with a special cartouche or serial range (for military arms) or in really good condition. Just my $0.02

This was the plan before the sale section went away... to rafle off rifles, guns, etc etc.
Unless a Weapons Sale Section is comming back, I would not hold my breath.

enchantor
12-21-2006, 8:23 PM
I'm in for a ticket. Raffle off a Remington 700 Police in .308!

ghost
12-21-2006, 9:41 PM
sounds good!! i`m in

kilword
12-23-2006, 2:58 PM
cz pistols are always good....or maybe a glock
or gift certificate for 10%

Nefarious
12-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Now that the sale section is back ?? :D

12voltguy
12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Now that the sale section is back ?? :D

check out this and see if you can set up same:D
glocktalk has a huge raffle going, end of month last day to get tickets

http://contest.glocktalk.com/

D1911
12-29-2006, 5:02 PM
If it's doable, I'm in!

6172crew
12-29-2006, 8:13 PM
Man that glock talk one has all kinds of goods, to bad i was late.:mad:

tundraman
12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
$20 a ticket! Count me in. Seriously, let's get the ball rolling on this.:D

naimad
12-30-2006, 4:17 PM
This sounds like a good idea maybe a gift certificate for a diferent company each month

tenpercentfirearms
12-31-2006, 8:09 AM
Kestryll, is this thing still a possiblity? I am still most certainly game.

Santa Cruz Armory
12-31-2006, 8:13 AM
I bought a few raffle tix from Glocktalk, I figured it was worth a try...;) the contest ended yesterday....Sorry I should have mentioned it earlier....:rolleyes:

10TH AMENDMENT
12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm in for sure!

TACTICAL
01-02-2007, 9:19 AM
I would definetley be in ;)

koiloco
01-03-2007, 4:04 PM
count me in :)

1919A4
01-03-2007, 5:25 PM
Count me in also.

Shenaniguns
01-19-2007, 8:46 AM
I'd be interested

bwiese
01-19-2007, 1:41 PM
Maybe we'll be able to raffle off a Saiga of significance.

hoffmang
01-19-2007, 1:43 PM
Now Bill... That's a most excellent idea. Do factor in the imposed bureaucratic slowdowns time wise...

-Gene

bwiese
01-19-2007, 3:55 PM
Maybe we'll be able to raffle off a Saiga of significance.

Now Bill... That's a most excellent idea. Do factor in the imposed bureaucratic slowdowns time wise...

Yes, but I think it'll happen reasonably soon - and then 30 days more for other paperwork, and 10 days to me.

fred40
01-20-2007, 10:31 AM
you can count me in!

bwiese
01-20-2007, 4:44 PM
We might have to consider nonprofit issues for raffles, too... there are legal issues involved - only certain nonprofit/charitiable groups can do raffles...

see http://www.calgunlaws.com/modules.php?name=NukeNews&file=article&sid=471