PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911 - 9mm

Ezekiel2000
12-23-2010, 5:58 PM
So last night I was able to pick up my 9mm Rock Island Tactical from Valkyrie Arms (http://www.yelp.com/biz/valkyrie-arms-milpitas). If you're in the area and haven't been, check them out, SCAR, AK, PSL, PS90, P238, Glocks...you get the idea, evil black rifle and single shot exempt pistols galore! A lot of stuff I never see packed in a small space. Last night was pretty busy, even with small shop and lots of people everyone seemed in a good mood though...hard not to be surrounded by all the cool toys I guess :D

ANYWAY, picked up the latest addition to the family and me n my buddy headed straight to Target Masters for a little range time (and to rent Ruger Alaskan...whoa!). Dry firing the Rock Island trigger felt really good to me for stock $500 pistol. That good feeling continued once I ran some ammo through it. Tested 2 mags, the stock one and a wilson combat I bought for it, both 10 round mags. Gun ate up the 200 rounds we ran through it and was ready for more. It did fail to lock back on last round maybe half the time, both magazines had that issue so I'm thinking lighter spring, or maybe just more time for it to break in. I'm not real worried about that, it'll be fixed. Over all, VERY happy with the purchase.

I had the colt grips laying around, so put those on in place of the stock ones when I got home. The only modification I have planned for this gun is to change out the target sights it came with for either some white dots or fiber optic...just not a fan of blacked out target sights. Looks like they need to be adjusted anyway right? Anyone know what style sights would be closest to a direct fit?

Target was shot from about 30ft, 3 or 4 of the ten round magazines. Not a bad group at all considering it wasn't target ammo, it's not a target gun, and maybe most importantly...I'm not a great shot! Thanks to calgunner jrara for posting his review (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=369512) which set the bug in place for me...

Again, very happy with the purchase, if you've been thinking about getting one, I highly recommend it!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/967/img20101222200528medium.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3825/img1948medium.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8200/img1949medium.jpg

DVLDOC
12-23-2010, 6:03 PM
Congrats!

wilit
12-23-2010, 6:05 PM
I picked up mine last week but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

morrcarr67
12-23-2010, 6:11 PM
Sweet. Nice gun. Have fun with her. :D

jackandblood
12-23-2010, 6:21 PM
Nice shooting! Hope you haven't peaked :cowboy:

Robust 1911 in 9mm sounds like would be a joy to shoot. Nice

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 6:25 PM
Cool. How much does Valkyrie charge for the single shot work? I'm thinking of purchasing an RIA 9mm 1911 in the future from them and having it shipped down to Socal.

ir0nclash86
12-23-2010, 6:45 PM
Cool. How much does Valkyrie charge for the single shot work? I'm thinking of purchasing an RIA 9mm 1911 in the future from them and having it shipped down to Socal.

Can Valkyrie ship single shot exemptions down here?

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 6:50 PM
Can Valkyrie ship single shot exemptions down here?

People are saying Valkyrie will ship to an FFL in CA. It just depends on whether or not the receiving FFL is willing to do the DROS for a single shot exempted off-list pistol.

ir0nclash86
12-23-2010, 6:54 PM
People are saying Valkyrie will ship to an FFL in CA. It just depends on whether or not the receiving FFL is willing to do the DROS for a single shot exempted off-list pistol.

Cool thanks. I guess I'll call up Straightline Tactical and see if theyre willing to do it. I'm dying for a 9mm 1911. I love the look and feel of the platform but I'm just not digging the cost of 45 acp.

scootle
12-23-2010, 6:56 PM

If I'm not mistaken, they will ship the single-shot pistol to another FFL willing to take it. Then, if you can ship the single-shot barrel and mag-block, etc. back to them, they will refund a deposit on those items to keep your end costs down.

Don't take our word for it though, give Tim@Valkyrie Arms a call... they run a great shop.

To the OP. 'grats on the new pistol! I wonder if I was there during that zoo on Wed night when you picked up your new baby? It was packed in there! I was there to pick up two CalGuns OLLs that I had in purgatory. I will have a 9mm 1911 someday... but for now, I've decided to focus my efforts (and funds) on procuring a HK P7 variant first... those are getting really hard to find. :(

Ezekiel2000
12-23-2010, 7:20 PM
Thanks guys! Can anyone recommend some adjustable sights that I could place on this thing?

Yup, local the single shot work is included in the price... $490 sticker price, with tax, and dros it ends up being $560.33 out the door. That's local though, not sure how they go about shipments, as has already been said, give them a call...they're probably in the shop now. (408) 957-0600

scootle...maybe? I'm a white dude with hair about to my waist in a pony tail, was a ton of people in there last night though! I didn't noticing anyone picking up lowers last night when I was in, I did hear them talking to someone about their lowers though, and talking price, options and so forth with them? Also overheard them mentioning they might get into bending their own flats/producing AK's...if they do, I haven't figured out how I'm going to resist one of those as well :) Post up those lowers when you get them turned into complete rifles, the calguns lowers look sweet!

wilit...go shoot it already! :)

jrara
12-23-2010, 8:25 PM
Congrats!!!

I was doing my research on sights and its seems that Novaks will work.

Rear sight is easy Fit. I hear that that Novak Front Sight will need fitting.

I placed my 9mm Tactical in the MP but the item I was trying to fund didnt work out.

As for Shipping to Socal, Someone in the forum did a transfer of a Dan Wesson PM7 in San Deigo. I don't remember who though.

Will be feeding my 1911 with Hollow points this coming week. Will post results.

ir0nclash86
12-23-2010, 9:08 PM
What other brands does Valkyrie have for a 9mm 1911?

jrara
12-23-2010, 9:09 PM
What other brands does Valkyrie have for a 9mm 1911?

They Have Dan Wessons price at about $1500.

ir0nclash86
12-23-2010, 9:15 PM
They Have Dan Wessons price at about $1500.

lol Do they have anything cheaper? Myabe Springfields or Kimber 9mm?

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 9:20 PM

I have a feeling a Kimber wouldn't be any cheaper than that. There was a used Kimber 9mm on sale in the marketplace for $1000. I'd imagine a brand new one with tax and DROS on top of the single shot work would be well over $1500.

Springfield has a loaded 1911 9mm that is a little more affordable though.

JanG
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
looks like i'll be taking a trip to the bay area soon :D

nice 9mm op... i got the next best thing, shiny nickel 38 super, and planning on betting a 9mm slide assembly

edit: btw op, according to armscor, the tactical sights are standard novak cut. you could try calling them and see if they'll install the match fiber optic front/adjustable rear for you.

scootle
12-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Valkyrie Arms can procure off-roster Kimber 9mm 1911s. I was investigating this about a month ago to see if there was a means to obtain a Stainless Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm (or even an Ultra Carry II). Pricing otd should hover in the $1000-1200 range I think, but don't quote me on that. You can get the on-roster 5" Kimber Target II from various dealers though. Last I saw, Reed's had one on the shelf for about $1100.

Give Tim@Valkyrie a call and ask him to check on models for you. Inventory on Kimbers is very tight, so they may or may not have the model you want available from their distributor immediately.

I almost wanted to go full-bore for a Kimber 9mm 1911 soon, but like I mentioned earlier, I am going to pursue a HK P7 first. :D

Good luck!

papichulo
12-24-2010, 12:51 AM
looks like i'll be taking a trip to the bay area soon :D

nice 9mm op... i got the next best thing, shiny nickel 38 super, front/adjustable rear for you.

carpool!

morrcarr67
12-24-2010, 5:53 AM

How about a Taurus PT1911-9MM (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207590368)? They now have them SS. Buy this one and ship it to Valkyrie for the SSC

Ezekiel2000
12-24-2010, 8:34 AM
edit: btw op, according to armscor, the tactical sights are standard novak cut. you could try calling them and see if they'll install the match fiber optic front/adjustable rear for you.

Trip to the Bay Area would do you well I think ;)
Thank You for the advice, I'll follow it and give them a call after Christmas!

counterpoke
12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
@Ezekiel2000, hey, great write up! I enjoyed reading your experience with your new 1911. I recently bought a 1911 RIA Tactical 45 and had to think really long and hard about whether to get a 45 or 9mm :)

scootle
12-24-2010, 1:30 PM
Post up those lowers when you get them turned into complete rifles, the calguns lowers look sweet!

Not quite a complete rifle yet... but they sure are pretty! :D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5500102&postcount=20

LOL.

Good luck with the sight-hunt!

Cyc Wid It
12-24-2010, 2:38 PM

If it's a popular type of exemption and you buy the gun through them there should be no charge.

evidens83
12-24-2010, 2:39 PM
Good shooting! Congrats I love my Tac.

viet4lifeOC
12-24-2010, 2:53 PM
If it's a popular type of exemption and you buy the gun through them there should be no charge.

Free shipping to Orange County if i buy it from them?

scootle
12-24-2010, 2:57 PM
Free shipping to Orange County if i buy it from them?

I dunno about free shipping... but if it's a common setup, I think they take a deposit on the extended barrel and mag-block... you receive the gun, DROS it, remove the single-shot parts, and ship those back to Valkyrie to get the deposit back. Don't quote me on this though... call Valkyrie and ask directly. (408) 957 0600. :)

Either way, their prices are more than reasonable for both on-roster and off-roster guns alike.

viet4lifeOC
12-24-2010, 3:04 PM
Scootle,

thanks....i'll definately call them to get a price quote on a RIA 1911 9mm and XDm.

Removing the barrel and mag is simple? It doesn't damage the gun?

den888
12-24-2010, 3:21 PM
Nice shooting!

scootle
12-24-2010, 3:29 PM
Removing the barrel and mag is simple? It doesn't damage the gun?

Yeah, I think the barrel on almost all typical semi-auto pistols slide right out when you field strip them. You just swap the long compliance barrel for the factory one. Done.

The mag-block just goes in and gets bolted through the mag-release hole usually. Shouldn't be a big deal to remove. The law just says you have to use a "tool" to take out the block, so a screw/bolt counts. ;)

Depends on the exact make/model of gun, of course. The Valkyrie guys have been great to work with, they'll get you straightened out. :)

TheFlyingAfrican
01-05-2011, 8:26 PM
sorry for my ignorance, but how exactly do they get the off-roster 1911?

i was just about to splurge on a kimber, but a $500 RIA 1911 in 9mm would be so much cheaper.

Then again, might end up paying for some work on the RIA to get up kimber stainless target II standard?

Cyc Wid It
01-05-2011, 8:31 PM
Because they convert it to single-shot exempt format. You need an 07 FFL to do this.

Personally for my 9mm 1911, I went with a Colt Combat Commander pre series 80.

subrosa
01-05-2011, 9:34 PM
They had a RIA 45acp tactical the other day, it felt great in the hand, a lot more impressive then I thought it would be...I am very tempted! The 9mm in the 1911 format would rock.

wilit
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I finally shot my RIA 9mm the other day. WOW, what a wonderful pistol. It's an excellent value. There's a few small things I would change on it, like the sights, but otherwise, it's a great shooting pistol.

viet4lifeOC
01-06-2011, 3:09 PM
Valkeries Arms must be doing very good business. Been trying to call all day and I only get a pre-recorded message.

want to ask about the STI Spartan 9mm, STI Trojan 9mm, and RIA 1911 9mm.

arrgghh--guess I'll try calling back tomorrow

wilit
01-06-2011, 6:51 PM
Valkeries Arms must be doing very good business. Been trying to call all day and I only get a pre-recorded message.

want to ask about the STI Spartan 9mm, STI Trojan 9mm, and RIA 1911 9mm.

arrgghh--guess I'll try calling back tomorrow

They have later hours because I think they all have regular day jobs. Here's their schedule.

Wed-Fri 5:30 pm - 10 pm
Sat 10 am - 8 pm
Sun 10 am - 6 pm

jrara
01-06-2011, 7:30 PM
PMing Valkyrie Arms may be a bit better.

They get superbusy.

AleksT
01-07-2011, 7:31 AM
Looks like you scored big with a great gun and if it shoots groups like that with any old ammo then it looks like you have a keeper. I may have to look for one of these as I already told the GF that for 2011 I *have to* buy a 1911(2011 would be better) since it's a special milestone. I'd love to check your RIA out though.

viet4lifeOC
01-07-2011, 8:05 AM
They have later hours because I think they all have regular day jobs. Here's their schedule.

Wed-Fri 5:30 pm - 10 pm
Sat 10 am - 8 pm
Sun 10 am - 6 pm

thanks for the info. much appreciate it.

TheFlyingAfrican
02-05-2011, 9:21 PM
Got my RIA 1911 Tactical in 9mm, haven't had a chance to get to the range yet (3 weeks now!).

I ordered some Metal-form 10 round mags for it, but they don't seem to fit. Anyone have this issue?

The mag-catch cutout seems to be lower than the check-mate that comes with the gun, the end result is the mag sits up into the slide and prevents the slide from moving forward. I racked the slide and released it, with the net result of almost jamming the mag the in gun.

I had a closer look and the magazine lips definitely sit higher than the check-mate (due to the mag-catch cutout). In fact if I close the slide I can't push the metalform magazine in to where it catches (ie. can always just pull it straight out without hitting the mag release).

I've got Wilsom ETM's on order too, but wondering if there is something I can do with the metal forms or should i just send them back?