PDA

View Full Version : need a little feedback about 9mm

Blackphelan
12-23-2010, 5:23 PM
hi everyone and thank you in advance for any feedback. i'm currently looking for a 9mm for heavy practice. currently i'm stuck on the m&p or the xd9 tactical. i'm going to the range to try them both, but i wanted to hear what others experience has been with either or both.

scootle
12-23-2010, 5:33 PM
Both are fine. Shoot them side-by-side and pick the one that fits you best. You'll know which works for you after a 100 rounds or so, I'd think. Is the XD9 Tactical a 4" or 5" barrel? I know the full-size M&P is only a 4.1", unless you are shooting a Pro or L model.

I was in a similar situation not long ago, so I rented a Glock 19 and M&P9 for a test session. I own the M&P9 now. ;)

1lostinspace
12-23-2010, 5:40 PM
Both are great but the Glock 17 is better! they both are trying to copy it lol
But if I had to choose between the 2 copys then it would have to be XD

Colt
12-23-2010, 5:50 PM
Have you looked at Glock 19?

Saigon1965
12-23-2010, 5:51 PM
2nd on either Glock 17 or 19 -

morrcarr67
12-23-2010, 6:16 PM
Browning Hi-Power

jdg30
12-23-2010, 6:22 PM
Any 9mm handgun you get will be fine for heavy practice. I haven't shot the M&P 9 or the xd 9 but I am sure that either one would be perfect for your intended use. I have a Glock 19 and 26 and like them very much. The Glock 19 is one of my favorite guns that I would never get rid of and I have nothing bad to say about it.

I've been tempted many times to buy a M&P 9mm but I like the Glock 19 so much that I can't bring myself to buy a gun that fills the same role. The M&P is a very comfortable gun to hold and it has a lot of great qualities. I just like Glocks better because if the ease of maintenance and simple reliability and maintenance.

The XD 9mm is also very comfortable to hold but I give the advantage to the M&P. Although I would recommend the G19 or G17 first in my opinion, I would say between the two you are looking at, the M&P 9mm would be the best choice to get.

If I ever get a M&P I will get the APEX trigger parts because the one downfall I've found from dry firing the M&P compared to a Glock is definitely the trigger. In stock form, the Glock trigger is a clear winner in my opinion.

12-23-2010, 6:27 PM
Even better than the Glock 17 and 19, is the Glock 34. It is a great range pistol and/or house gun, when something goes bump in the night.
http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 6:37 PM
CZ 75 SP-01 or P-01. Too much Glock around here.

Ranger20
12-23-2010, 6:48 PM
Get a Glock 17... I love the look of the original Glock!

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/uzigal/guns/glock17.jpg

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 6:49 PM
Must... fight... the Glock power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/iareconfuse/DSC01998.jpg

scootle
12-23-2010, 7:02 PM
My god... the dude asks specifically about XD9 vs. M&P and he gets like a half dozen posts to buy a Glock.

*looks for the facepalm smiley*

Dragon
12-23-2010, 7:14 PM
WOW!! The guy asks about an XD and a M&P not a Glock .I see no point in asking "what gun should i get" Amazing!!

dlouie87
12-23-2010, 7:40 PM
pici hate when "glock" people just say glock is better with no Reasoning.

OP,

Pick up the guns and see what fits your hands better. I was stuck between a xd9 and g17.

I chose the XD and 3k of 9mm later... still shoots like new! These guns are TOUGH

Legasat
12-23-2010, 7:46 PM
Both fine pistols. I chose the M&P because of ergonomics. It fit my hand better, was more comfortable to shoot, so I shot it better. The XD was in my top 3 though when I was deciding.

GO shoot both! You'll know which one is right for you after enough rounds.

cmaynes
12-23-2010, 7:52 PM
if you like the military style of pistol, the FNP9 is pretty nice too....

I personally prefer the Glock 19 though....

Blackphelan
12-23-2010, 8:10 PM
thanks everyone for the prompt replies. i'll have to look into the trigger issue with the m&p. are there any other problems with either firearm that have been experienced?

evidens83
12-23-2010, 8:18 PM
Another which gun(M&P VS XD VS Glock) should I get post..... Makes me sick!!! ;):beatdeadhorse5:

dude79
12-23-2010, 8:51 PM
GLOCK THIS GLOCK THAT GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK

I'm not hating on GLOCKS but you GLOCK guys are brainwashed.

bsg
12-23-2010, 8:57 PM
Get a Glock 17... I love the look of the original Glock!

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/uzigal/guns/glock17.jpg

me too.

Outta Control
12-23-2010, 9:00 PM
I have the 17 with over 1500+ rounds through it and recently shot the Browning Hi-Power. I must say I like the feel on the Browning but the easy of maintenance would have to fall to the Glock.

Dr Rockso
12-23-2010, 9:28 PM
thanks everyone for the prompt replies. i'll have to look into the trigger issue with the m&p. are there any other problems with either firearm that have been experienced?

I have to say that I find the stock triggers on basically all polymer pistols to be pretty lacking. Of all the ones I've shot I could probably get used to Glock, HK, and XD stock triggers, but my metal framed DA/SA pistols would still be much better.

Aside from the trigger, though, I like everything else about the M&P. So I took a leap of faith and, based entirely on reviews I read on the internet, ordered a M&P9, along with the APEX DCAEK and RAM. Best extra $130 I've ever spent. There is nowhere else I can think of that you could get a new handgun with a trigger this good for under $800. In fact, the only handguns I've ever shot with better triggers have been semi-custom/custom 1911s or SA Sigs. Even if you can't justify spending the extra $130 now (or just $90...the RAM isn't absolutely necessary, but nice) I'd still get the M&P with the knowledge that you can easily upgrade it in the future.

The primary driver should still be which one fits your hand best and feels the best for you, but don't let the mediocre M&P trigger totally spoil it.

flatovercrest
12-23-2010, 9:37 PM
Glock.

ChrisO
12-23-2010, 9:40 PM
They are both good pistols. I'm a glock guy and had bad experiences with my xd to where I would never buy another one again even if the issues I had are hashed out. I have been shooting a glock 17 for around 4 years or so and have put thousands of trouble free rounds through my glock 17. I have trained with my glock extensively and it has proven it's self to be more than reliable. Those reasons alone are why it stays in my nightstand. If I were to give any new polymer framed pistol a solid look besides a glock it would definitely be with S&W M&P. The only reason I have not bought a M&P is because like someone else said, Right now it is hard for me to justify the purchase of a gun that fills the same role oh and if it works don't fix it.

My suggestion is just like everyone else's on here, Try and rent all of them or go shoot as many of them as you can and if you can't shoot em at least hold them and see what one points and feels better to you! They are all good pistols and I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

MarioS
12-23-2010, 9:47 PM
I've owned one of each although in different calibers. They are both great guns that are fairly similar in terms of classification. It will come down to which one feels best to you. Fire them both and there may be a clear cut winner. I can't remember what the factory XD trigger felt like because I had a kit on mine for most of its life but the M&P triggers are great.

Old4eyes
12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Both are fine. Shoot them side-by-side and pick the one that fits you best. You'll know which works for you after a 100 rounds or so, I'd think. Is the XD9 Tactical a 4" or 5" barrel? I know the full-size M&P is only a 4.1", unless you are shooting a Pro or L model.

I was in a similar situation not long ago, so I rented a Glock 19 and M&P9 for a test session. I own the M&P9 now. ;)

The Tactical models of the XD family are 5" barrels.
Stock trigger on the M&P has less takeup and shorter reset.
The achillies heel of the XD is the striker retaining pin. They are subject to breakage if you dry fire a lot without snap caps.
Having said that, I have a number of XD's. Need to sell a body part or two and look into getting an M&P.

I have shot an XD with a Powder River trigger job on it, the takeup and reset then became what I subjectively feel is in the ballpark of the M&P (subjective since I comparing shooting the modified XD two weeks ago and dry firing a Smith yesterday).

Shoot both and buy what works best. Or buy both and report back to us.

redhemi
12-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll through a wrench in the works and say try a Ruger P95 or SR9 both good guns and built to last.

Ron-Solo
12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
M&P

scootle
12-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Without going into the sordid evolution of the M&P family, my recommendation would be -- if you buy an M&P, try to make sure the unit you buy is a production model from Sept 2010 or later... e.g. something with a production code larger than 0244.

My recently purchased M&P with a 9243 production code (from August 2009) is missing some of the current updates to the M&P line that S&W has implemented.

PM me if you need more info, or search this forum or either the M&P forum (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx) or Smith&Wesson forum (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/) sites (google! ;) )... lots of info out there!

If anything, buy either the XD or the M&P (or anything else) just to spite all these mindless Glock people! :p (I kid... shoot them all and buy the one that fits you best!)

Best of luck.

Joe
12-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Get a glock

SubSonicSOPMOD
12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
+1 sr9 sits low like 1911

scootle
12-23-2010, 11:20 PM
+1 sr9 sits low like 1911

The main thing that was pointed out to me when I looked at the Ruger SR9 was that the thumb safety button is very small, which makes it a bit non-ideal for a defensive pistol. It's not a huge lever like you see on the 1911s, HK USPs, Berettas, etc.

Something to ponder.

Katana
12-23-2010, 11:28 PM
BTW, that 1st gen. G17 is from Uzi Gal's personal gun collection. :cool:

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/uzigalcollection.htm

http://i51.tinypic.com/bitpa0.jpg

SubSonicSOPMOD
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM
that safety is over kill, with the glock style trigger safety, and the slim low profile is ideal for ccw/defensive. check out the youtube reviews, they literally have nothing bad to say about them and one even started carrying it cause it hugs the body so well. and at 420$ shipped at budsgunshop.com its hard to beat. lol i may sound a little bias cause i just drosed an od green frame one today. did a lot of research, glock and xd were too square for my taste.

Rhythm of Life
12-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Must... fight... the Glock power.

http://i52.tinypic.com/xc9g1f.png

Amen brother!

mnh327
12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I have to say that I find the stock triggers on basically all polymer pistols to be pretty lacking. Of all the ones I've shot I could probably get used to Glock, HK, and XD stock triggers, but my metal framed DA/SA pistols would still be much better.

The exception, and better than all the above, is the Sig Pro 2022. Best trigger on any DA/SA gun I've shot. Best trigger on anything I've shot outside a 1911 in SA, or good S&W revolver in DA.

eccvets
12-24-2010, 1:56 AM
hk usp or siggys are nice as well for heavy duty relibility and accuracy. why not try them out as well?

orangeglo
12-24-2010, 2:21 AM
Get the M&P. If you don't like it, sell it to me.

racky
12-24-2010, 3:14 AM
glocks are honda civics.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/m9andusp.jpg

bsg
12-24-2010, 8:07 AM
i don't know what your primary HD gun is... but i'd go for the same platform with a primary range gun.

Shenaniguns
12-24-2010, 8:53 AM
I'd go with the M&P personally since it is the only platform that's steered me away from Glocks after 10 years of owning them. The M&P platform with a little tuning is a fantastic shooter that's more ergonomic then Glock IMO at the expense of being slightly more complicated to detail strip. I know shoot my 4.25" FS 9 just as well as my old Glock 34 that I shot quite often. The Feds didn't award a $40M contract a piece to Glock and Smith & Wesson without them earning it.

Shenaniguns
12-24-2010, 8:55 AM
glocks are honda civics.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/m9andusp.jpg

You actually like the Double Action first shot and thumb safety placement? yuck

scootle
12-24-2010, 9:52 AM
The Tactical models of the XD family are 5" barrels.

The OP should make sure that if he's doing a "taste test" he is shooting the same thing then... if you want a 5" barrel range gun, you need to shoot a M&P9 Pro or L... sadly, they are not on the CA roster, if I'm not mistaken. :(

1" on the barrel doesn't sound like much, but it does affect handling, muzze flip, and perceived recoil.

I tested an XD9 tactical as one of my early test models... for me, the ergos were all wrong with the placement of the slide stop. My thumb would just sit on it and thus, the slide would never lock back.

MossbergMan
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I own 13 "G" guns and 2 XD's...no M&P, but it's on my to do list this next year. If the XD's had come out in 1986 I'd probably own 13 of them instead or if they had a XDSF where you win XD's for shooting XD's like Glock does.
There is no more eronomic gun than the CZ/Hi-powers and the XD's grip is a direct desendent of those grips. Triggers can be fixed no matter the manufacture. I like the M&P for it's out of the box trigger and replaceable backstrap to fit different sized hands.
Don't torture yourself any longer....buy both! But if you must choose...my vote XD.

Dragon
12-24-2010, 3:00 PM
The main thing that was pointed out to me when I looked at the Ruger SR9 was that the thumb safety button is very small, which makes it a bit non-ideal for a defensive pistol. It's not a huge lever like you see on the 1911s, HK USPs, Berettas, etc.

Something to ponder.

The safety on the Ruger is easy to switch off !! u dont want it big saftey lever for a CCW weapon!

scootle
12-24-2010, 3:34 PM
The safety on the Ruger is easy to switch off !! u dont want it big saftey lever for a CCW weapon!

True, but most of us don't CCW in Kalifornia... :) But we do learn to draw from holsters... and when gun comes out, safety goes off during the draw... which is hard if you can't find the little eensy weensy safety button.

That said, people will probably argue into the next decade which philosophy is the correct one for things like operability of external safeties. ;)

Dragon
12-24-2010, 3:41 PM
True, but most of us don't CCW in Kalifornia... :) But we do learn to draw from holsters... and when gun comes out, safety goes off during the draw... which is hard if you can't find the little eensy weensy safety button.

That said, people will probably argue into the next decade which philosophy is the correct one for things like operability of external safeties. ;)

True! I have medium size hands so the saftey works great for me. I like the saftey cause I can choose to use it or not.

den888
12-24-2010, 4:20 PM
Another vote for...Glock!

Donk310
12-24-2010, 4:23 PM
Watch out. People get furious when a thread is reposted.

GeoffLinder
12-25-2010, 11:05 AM
XD Tactical

ZX-10R
12-25-2010, 12:18 PM
The glock guys are the past...Look into the M&P and FNP.

92FS and CZs after that...glocks like all business majors are a dime a dozen. Stand out.

Try before you buy and you will see the glock is not the way the go.

ZX-10R
12-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd go with the M&P personally since it is the only platform that's steered me away from Glocks after 10 years of owning them. The M&P platform with a little tuning is a fantastic shooter that's more ergonomic then Glock IMO at the expense of being slightly more complicated to detail strip. I know shoot my 4.25" FS 9 just as well as my old Glock 34 that I shot quite often. The Feds didn't award a $40M contract a piece to Glock and Smith & Wesson without them earning it.

Winner.

drdanno84
12-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Forget the "Plastic Guns" pick up a beretta 9mm, a proven durable weapon that will feed any 9mm ammo, reliable, ask the military or law enforcement.

roushstage3
12-25-2010, 5:30 PM
I perfer the XD. Not much experience with the M&P I was shooting next to a couple, who both had M&P 9mm the wife's kept jamming.

Johansenk
12-25-2010, 5:46 PM
Funny, I like the Grip of the XD a lot but I can't hold CZ's comfortably. It's hard for my stubby finger to reach the trigger in DA. Maybe I should get a 75SA then

oddjob
12-25-2010, 9:54 PM
I used to have a XD 9mm Tactical and it was a great gun. I shoot USPSA and it rocks! I have not handled the M&P, but its been a good gun for shooters too. The M&P has adjustable grips, so you might be better off with the M&P if grip size/feel is an issue.

FYI....I sold the XD and now shoot a CZ Shadow. It fits me better.

PsychGuy274
12-26-2010, 6:13 AM
hi everyone and thank you in advance for any feedback. i'm currently looking for a 9mm for heavy practice. currently i'm stuck on the m&p or the xd9 tactical. i'm going to the range to try them both, but i wanted to hear what others experience has been with either or both.

Personal opinion: don't rent a gun from a range to evaluate for a possible purchase. Most guns are not taken care of. I rented an XD45 at a local range in SD and I hated it. But when I shot my buddy's XD45 (which he takes care of) I loved it.

Renting from a range is good to get a feel for the ergonomics, but not for firing IMHO.