PDA

View Full Version : mosin m39 with markings on the stock, who knows what they mean or stand for?

vincentvangerven
12-23-2010, 5:55 PM
anybody knows for sure what these letters stand for? i've read 1 article where they were addressed, there they said it might be a training school rifle...

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/vincentvangerven/stock2.jpg

Anchors
12-23-2010, 6:12 PM
Many are unknown. Cool rifle though!

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks05.htm

G-Man WC
12-23-2010, 7:59 PM
What I see is a very modern font. I guessing it's Bubba's initials.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks02.htm
The only marks I've ever seen of true Finn origin were fire branded or a punched stock maker mark. -g

Noonanda
12-23-2010, 9:04 PM
What I see is a very modern font. I guessing it's Bubba's initials.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks02.htm
The only marks I've ever seen of true Finn origin were fire branded or a punched stock maker mark. -g

Pat Burns imported all the remaining Finn Inventory from the Finnish Government, doubt she is out painting letters on the stocks.

Most of these were used as officer marksmanship training rifles up into the early 90's. It may have done time at a military academy, who knows. I saw that one on the g&a site as well, its actually pretty nice looking.

vincentvangerven
12-23-2010, 9:44 PM
yup, that's where i came from, it's should still be in the cosmoline, so no bubba rifle. bought it for the markings, the bore condition (supposedly new) and the correct wartime stock. can't believe i got another one, was going to focus on the 91/30, but i guess this one spoke to me :)

friggin't mosinitus, there's just no cure to it :D

Noonanda
12-23-2010, 9:48 PM
yup, that's where i came from, it's should still be in the cosmoline, so no bubba rifle. bought it for the markings, the bore condition (supposedly new) and the correct wartime stock. can't believe i got another one, was going to focus on the 91/30, but i guess this one spoke to me :)

friggin't mosinitus, there's just no cure to it :D

cant you just picture Rick James saying "Mosins are a hell of a drug";)

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 10:11 PM
I can't help you on the markings, but that's a beautiful rifle! Good find!

eric90503
12-24-2010, 6:22 PM
Pat Burns imported all the remaining Finn Inventory from the Finnish Government, doubt she is out painting letters on the stocks.

Most of these were used as officer marksmanship training rifles up into the early 90's. It may have done time at a military academy, who knows. I saw that one on the g&a site as well, its actually pretty nice looking.

I wonder how many she has left?...

vincentvangerven
12-31-2010, 2:26 PM
got the rifle. most worked over m39 i've seen so far. It came out the cosmo, from pat burns, so it's no bubba, but i think it was worked over by the finns not ridiculously long ago. there was quite a bit of 'accuracy improving work' done to it.

The action is resin & metal shim bedded into the stcok. That's right, it is resin bedded with an addidtional steel shim at the tang and in the recoil lug. Never seen that before. Barrel alligns perfectly in the stock. Also, the barrel channel has been pretty thoroughly sanded, both stock and handguard. The whole barrel is free floated unlike most that rest on the tip of the stock & handguard. Trigger is great, one of the best i've had so far (and i had a few before )
Bore is new. Worked up a few handloads for it, will test it tomorrow ( if the range is open)

AngryPossum
12-31-2010, 2:49 PM
I'd like to see a full range report with pics. I've had my M39 for almost a year and still haven't really had the time to sight it in or see what it can do.

hawk81
12-31-2010, 3:49 PM
I have a B barrel M39. I was getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards, open sights. This was with $99 for 440 rounds surplus Ammo. My gun was dead center and 2 inches high at 100 yards. These guns are as accurate as K-31 rifles. Oh, and my gun looks like it has almost never been shot. I just got mine from SOG for $229. I couldn't be happier with it.

vincentvangerven
12-31-2010, 4:44 PM
that's an exellent deal for what you got; payed close to $400 for mine. but then again, i could pick this one from a pic and a description,( i wanted a wartime one and the letters were a plus for me)
You kind of roll the dice with SOG from what i've read. If i had my c&r already i might have just ordered one there. Those guys at the BATF are appearantly not in a hurry... been almost 3 months, still no C&R :confused:

vincentvangerven
12-31-2010, 4:54 PM
just saw another one that seems to have a free floating barrel:

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=b3a89c779bc150d4ab8b217107759a ea&topic=9137.0

vincentvangerven
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Alright, shot the rifle, here's my findings;

Winners are all the sierra bullets i have used; 150 & 180 pro hunter & the sierrra matchking all in .311 do really well with 44 grain of IMR4064.

(This 44 grain of 4064 is rapidly becoming my favourite starting point for new mosins that have to be tested.)

With really well i mean that they group as good as i can shoot them with open sights, a little over 1 moa to about 1.5 moa, off a gunrest.

The rifle did not like the hornady 150 grain .310's and .312 spire points; About 3 moa. Guess the 310 is undersized and the 312 oversized, or maybe it's just the bullet design that the rfle doesn't agree with.

If i shoot 5 rounds in less then 2 minutes then i also noticed some vertical stringing, probably due to the fact that this m39 has a fully free floated barrel. But it's not much, (about 1.5 moa) and it strings up perfectly vertically, unlike my favourite 91/30 that strings a bt from left to right, slightly upwards.

Did not shoot surplus through it, so no findings there.

all in all a solid performer :)

Interloper
01-09-2011, 1:05 AM
That's some good shooting.
I like how you found the exact diameter the rifle likes. That's pretty neat.