PDA

View Full Version : Noob w/ a few handgun related quest.

Norcalali
12-23-2010, 5:51 PM
Hi, I'm a new member and a novice hand gun owner with a couple of questions. If anyone could answer some/all that would be great. Here they are:

-I have an old junky Lorcin 32 that I want to either sell or find a buy back program. Gun is not worth anything. Any advice?

-I have a new, very nice Taurus 5 shot 38 special that I have never used. Is it safe for me to shoot this gun if it hasn't ever been used/cleaned and has sat in it's box for 8 years? (It's clean and dust free etc.)

-Strictly for indoor target shooting, what type of ammo is cheap and easy to find for Taurus? (Should I buy onine or in a store?)
I don't know about "hollow points vs. reg. bullets, or reloads etc.

-For my protection, what type of ammo should I use for Taurus when I'm not target shooting, but defending myself?

-Regarding cleaning, I can't remember how to take apart and clean the junky Lorcin gun and don't really care as I won't use it again, but is cleaning the Taurus simply just cleaning barrel and cylinder or do I have to "take it apart?"

Thanks for your time if you want to answer some or all of these questions.

armygunsmith
12-23-2010, 5:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of tips, this should get you started on cleaning your revolver.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/08/19/how-to-correctly-clean-gun/

Norcalali
12-23-2010, 5:57 PM
Thank you. I'll go read it now. I haven't done anything "gun'ish" for a few years and want to do it right before I go and target shoot.

RANash
12-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome to Calguns and welcome to the sport. I HIGHLY recommend that you take some training! First, it's really fun; and second, you'll learn a lot faster from genuine experts (assuming you go to a good training facility or trainer) than the dribs and drabs of information from here and there. The classes may seem expensive, but they're an investment in yourself. And did I mention that it's a lot of fun?

Let me know if you want some recommendations on where to get good training.

drunktank
12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I'd put the Lorcin up for sale here vs. any type of gun buyback program, but that's just me.

Being stored for 8 years isn't really an issue as long as the humidity was somewhat okay and whatnot (lets assume it was in working order when you put it away). You could always take it to a shop or ask a range master to take a peek at it. Definitely want to clean/lube it first to be on the safe side. Youtube has info on just about every common gun.

Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-mart is usually your cheapest bet out the door.

For home defense, most would say a +p hollow point or something along those lines from a respected manufacturer. My take on this is to use it for home defense if you practice with it. You want to make sure it fires reliably out of your gun and that you are comfortable with the recoil.

BigDogatPlay
12-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Welcome aboard....

-I have an old junky Lorcin 32 that I want to either sell or find a buy back program. Gun is not worth anything. Any advice?

If you don't want it, someone here will likely buy it... for parts if nothing else.

-I have a new, very nice Taurus 5 shot 38 special that I have never used. Is it safe for me to shoot this gun if it hasn't ever been used/cleaned and has sat in it's box for 8 years? (It's clean and dust free etc.)

If the bore and cylinder holes are clear of obstruction and the action cycles, it should be good to go.

-Strictly for indoor target shooting, what type of ammo is cheap and easy to find for Taurus? (Should I buy onine or in a store?)
I don't know about "hollow points vs. reg. bullets, or reloads etc.

CCI Blazer .38 special is probably one of the cheapest yet most reliable you can get. Failing that, find a location that carries Load-X reloads or drive up to Santa Rosa and visit them. I use their 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter for practice ammo. I buy 500 to 1000 at a time and exchange my empty brass. Load-X goes to all the local gun shows. Buying online for handgun ammo may end on February 1. If you want to buy on line, order some now.

-For my protection, what type of ammo should I use for Taurus when I'm not target shooting, but defending myself?

So many choices.... I'm currently using Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 +P for short barreled revolvers. It's good stuff, particularly out of barrel length of four inches or less.

-Regarding cleaning, I can't remember how to take apart and clean the junky Lorcin gun and don't really care as I won't use it again, but is cleaning the Taurus simply just cleaning barrel and cylinder or do I have to "take it apart?"

As above... check the link provided on cleaning and have at it. :)

Norcalali
12-24-2010, 1:16 PM
Thank you VERY much for taking the time to answer my gazillion questions. I just may take a drive up to Santa Rosa to check out the Load-X place. Another question if you will. I am a total novice and bought the lorcin long ago to target shoot. It jammed every 5th or 6th shot so, I assume this is a worthless gun and could be dangerous. I will read about legally selling a gun here on this site and take your advice to find a buyer for parts etc. Do you think I should keep the gun or is it truly dangerous?

Norcalali
12-24-2010, 1:19 PM
Hi, Yes, I would like some recs. I've shot at San Leandro gun range and at Livermore Rod and Gun club. Summers are free for lessons and I really should know more about my Taurus and really use it, not just let it sit in its box. I did pass a test when I bought the gun years ago but can't really remember much and kind of lost interest in shooting for a while. Now, I think it's kind of like bowling only more fun and I want to start up again. Am going to find some ammo for it and give it a light cleaning. Thanks for the advice.

Norcalali
12-24-2010, 1:26 PM
Hi, The Taurus is brand new but I never used it, just admired it and put it in it's box under the bed. No humidity issues or dust etc. She's very pretty but still unused. Our Wal-marts in Ca. don't sell ammo from what I can tell, but there are a few shops and sporting goods places I can find. I will look into the +P you mention and, I never thought to practice shooting with the good stuff as well as the cheapo stuff. You learn something new every day. At least my thumb won't bleed with the new Taurus. The crappy old Lorcin always scraped my thumb something awful. Hence the revolver. I was also told the Lorcin 32 would not "put a man down" only piss him off. The 38 should nicely do the trick if need ever arises. Thanks for your time with this.

Army
12-24-2010, 1:27 PM
Them Lorcins make good flashers for trolling lake trout :)

Dr Rockso
12-24-2010, 1:41 PM
Our Wal-marts in Ca. don't sell ammo from what I can tell, but there are a few shops and sporting goods places I can find.

Some Wal-Marts sell ammo, some don't. The ones in Milpitas and Mountain View do, depending on where you're located in the bay area.

As for the Lorcin .32, most of the 'ring of fire' guns (Raven/Bryco/Lorcin/Jennings/etc...) are notoriously awful. You might be able to get a few bucks for it on the for sale section, though. Transfers of handguns must be done through a CA dealer (01 FFL), no (relevant) exceptions.

Norcalali
12-24-2010, 2:39 PM
Some Wal-Marts sell ammo, some don't. The ones in Milpitas and Mountain View do, depending on where you're located in the bay area.

As for the Lorcin .32, most of the 'ring of fire' guns (Raven/Bryco/Lorcin/Jennings/etc...) are notoriously awful. You might be able to get a few bucks for it on the for sale section, though. Transfers of handguns must be done through a CA dealer (01 FFL), no (relevant) exceptions.
Dr. Rockso
I guess it's just easier to turn it into the police or find a buy back program. To sell it here on this for parts etc. I would still need to go to a gun store to do the paperwork, yes?

1JimMarch
12-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Speer's 135gr 38+P load is a superb choice, one of the best. One thing you want to do at some point is test some 158gr loads (meaning bullet weight) and see if they shoot closer to where the sights point. But really, for personal defense at typical across-the-room range or closer (often a LOT closer) it really won't matter.

Other good choices:

* Remington's plain lead 158gr hollowpoint, +P. ("+P" means "Extra Pressure" - your gun can handle modest diets of same but don't do TOO much practice with 'em).

* Winchester's 130gr "Supreme" 38+P.

That's a decent selection of what you're liable to find in gun shops. Check a couple-three and you should find at least one of the above. There's others but, you'd be surprised at how many loads fail to expand out of 2" barrels. The longer the barrel, the faster the bullet goes, and expansion needs speed. So when you have a "snub" like yours, you really ought to "care enough to send the very best" as Hallmark says, and be picky about your ammo.

(You should also eyeball inspect every round before loading them into either the gun or speedloaders for defense. Don't shoot any that look REALLY funky (bent shell, mashed-up bullet, etc) and set aside for practice any that look a bit squirrelly (usually dented bullet tip edges on hollowpoints - the assembly lines can be kinda rough on 'em). I typically "reject for duty" about 1/4 of the ammo in a box, if it's a major-name vendor. Anything based on the Speer "Gold Dot" projectiles tends to do better than that though.)

Shopping online, there's some high-end specialty ammo houses worth looking at - some are expensive but it doesn't cost TOO much to score some "business ammo". The best of these are Buffalo Bore Ammo, who have stuff at two different power levels, "heavy":

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=22

...and "standard":

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

The "heavy" line includes their 158+P load, which is the most powerful ammo you can shoot in your gun - period, end of discussion. It will rock somebody's world :).

Their standard line puts out as much "bullet energy" (meaning speed and performance of the slug) as other ammo house's +P loads - without doing extra pressure. The stuff is carefully hand-tuned, which is why you're paying so much. Superb stuff, and if your gun is a very old variant not factory rated for +P, it's your best choice in a defense load.

If your gun is not rated +P but you choose to shoot a little bit of +P anyways, you're probably OK. The Remington 158+P mentioned above will be one of the least stressful on the gun of all the +Ps.

Finally, do "the checkout" to see if the gun is any good:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297949

Norcalali
12-26-2010, 10:27 PM
This was a very much appreciated tutorial for me. I did find the following today at Big 5: I bought UMC/Remington (yellow box) 130 grain bullets (not the hollow ones) for target shooting. The box cost me $18/50 and I also bought Winchester +P 130 grain hollow tip bullets for home protection.

I cannot find the owners manual for my Taurus so I downloaded a PDF I found on their site. I admit to not having a clue what +P meant until reading your reply. I am "slightly" nervous about the pressure but since I'm a novice and almost everyone here on this site and at the store felt +P was a good idea, I guess I'm good to go. The salesman also suggested (If I was in the mood to shop, which I was) a Mossberg shotgun (single pump, adjustable shoulder pad) that I had never considered. He said the handgun "could" possibly injure someone else if I fired it at an invader and the shotgun would not have that problem and it wouldn't mess up my house. Am considering it as if it were a Coach purse. It was pretty and I liked the noise it made when he pumped it. Could scare away anyone, no?

Am rambling a bit. Anyways, I'm taking the Taurus shooting this week and will re-read all of these posts and learn about using it. As for the shotgun....am seriously tossing idea around.

Thanks so much for your time. Have a Happy New Year.