PDA

View Full Version : All things Beretta

erik_26
12-23-2010, 4:34 PM
Maybe I havenít looked hard enough, but I thought there should be a thread for all things Beretta.

I have a 92FS and I love it. It feels great in my hand. It is very accurate. Easy to clean. And I think it looks good too. I bought the Beretta after testing the Glock 17 and Springfield XD 9. I have no regrets. I did like the XD 9 over the Glock though. Not putting any gun down. I just am not particular to polymer frames. I know the Glock is a solid proven weapon. Plus I know the XD 9 is tough and reliable.

I have been very curious about the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45 ACP. But like I said I just can't get into the feel of the polymer frames. Anyone have experience with this weapon?

All, please feel free to share about your Beretta's or experiences with the brand.

Stay safe!

586L-Frame
12-23-2010, 5:51 PM
Lots of info at the Beretta Forum....

http://berettaforum.net/

586L-Frame

gumby
12-23-2010, 7:02 PM
I have a 92 centurion and the px4, both great guns.

plan-b
12-23-2010, 7:55 PM
If you're roster exempt, then I'd say pick up the PX4. The .45 isn't certified for sale in CA to most folks so if you're eligible and buy it, but decide you don't care for it. You'd be able to sell it very, very easily. I have one in 9mm and it's a pretty fun pistol to shoot. The recoil is... um... unique. :) You have to shoot it to really understand. The best way to describe it is that it's a bit sharp (not snappy), but quick to get back onto target.

BTW. Just to get it out of the way before the Glockophiles see this post. Doooood you shooold totally get a Glock 21!

erik_26
12-23-2010, 8:49 PM
I was not aware that the PX4 in .45 wasn't available in California. Is there a particular reason?

The PX4 has a rotating barrel system. Someone told me that was to help dampen the recoil. Perhaps that explains the unique feel as the gun cycles?

Do anyone know how easy/hard field stripping is?

Has anyone had a problem with polymer frames with any gun?

And thanks 586L-Frame for the tip on the beretta fourm.

plan-b
12-23-2010, 9:15 PM
This is the way I understand the history of it... The PX4 series handguns don't have magazine disconnect safeties, which is now a requirement to be added to the roster. The 9mm and .40S&W were designed and submitted for roster approval before the mag disconnect became mandatory. As long as Beretta is willing to pay the annual renewal fee for each variant on the roster, we can continue buying those. But the .45 can only be added if they make one with a mag disconnect since it came out after that requirement was added. Someone will correct me if I'm off with this story.

<edit> There's also the issue of needing a loaded chamber indicator. Another roster requirement besides passing the actual drop test. </edit>

The rotating barrel is exactly what makes the gun feel the way it does. It's not a horrible feel by any means. Just different. Personally, I find it a fun change of pace. Field stripping isn't quite as simple as something like a Glock, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist either. It's not like a 1911 where you have to get things lined up right and worry about putting scratches on the slide. Poly frames have been around for decades now. They'll out last your life expectancy and will never, ever rust. You have no worries there. There are old-timers that just don't like the advancement of technology and poopoo plastics.

flatovercrest
12-23-2010, 9:19 PM
Good guns. Must have for any serious collection because is the sidearm of our armed forces. Ergos may not be for all hands. I used to own many, now have only one.

Munk
12-23-2010, 9:37 PM
Mine has no loaded chamber indicator, it has no magazine disconnect, it has no safety, and I love it. It has a good heft to it, and it fits my hand like a glove.

It's a Beretta 96 Elite, which means it's a 96G that has a modified brigadier slide, a skeletonized hammer and a stainless barrel. The standard mags for it have rubber pads so they can be dropped with less worry of mag damage. The G makes it so that the "safety" is a decocker only, there is no way to lock it into a safe position. The story behind the G series lies with the French... They wanted to carry locked and loaded with one in the pipe, and not have to worry about their men being tripped up by a safety. The double action pull is firm, but i'm getting used to it, and the single is easy.

I've had no failures of any kind, but that's not saying much since i've only got ~300 rounds downrange.

I don't think i'll ever be able to reasonably conceal carry this thing on my person if I get the permit. It's big, and the brig slide makes it wider. This thing would print on my body even when i'm wearing a jacket.

I've contemplated getting a recoil buffer and then getting a .357 sig barrel for it, but I've heard it cuts the frame's life down considerably.

586L-Frame
12-24-2010, 2:09 AM
I was not aware that the PX4 in .45 wasn't available in California. Is there a particular reason?

The PX4 has a rotating barrel system. Someone told me that was to help dampen the recoil. Perhaps that explains the unique feel as the gun cycles?

Do anyone know how easy/hard field stripping is?

Has anyone had a problem with polymer frames with any gun?

And thanks 586L-Frame for the tip on the beretta fourm.

Hi Erik,
You're welcome.

I don't have a PX4, but I have three Beretta 92fs 9mm, and two 8045f
.45acp Cougars with the Rotating barrel.

The rotating barrel helps soften the recoil on my two Beretta 8045f Cougar
.45's. Disassembly & Reassembly is quite simple.

DLC’s Beretta 8045, 92FS & 8045 Cougar.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC01869-DLCsBeretta804592FS8045Cou.jpg

DLC’s Italian Beretta 92fs 9mm.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09272-DLCsItalianBeretta92fs9mm.jpg

DLC’s Beretta 92fs 9mm Infinite Justice 1 of 1000.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC02523m-DLCsBeretta92fsInfiniteJustice.jpg

DLC’s Beretta 92FS made in USA.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC00308-DLCsBeretta92FS.jpg

x

erik_26
12-24-2010, 8:42 AM
This is all great stuff. Nice collection 586L-Frame.
Has anyone used a guide rod laser, or Crimson Trace on their Beretta's? I have thought about it and keep going back and forth. On one hand I want to become proficient with my sights. On the other having a laser makes for faster target acquisition. I am just afraid I would rely on the laser and get lazy with the sights.
Also anyone use a holster with their Beretta? I know probably a stupid question. I guess I kind of want it all when it come to a holster. It would be for open carry. I want my gun to be secure from falling out when walking, running hiking. I would also like it to resist an attempt from someone coming up behind me and trying to disarm me. Finally, I don't want it to mar the finish of my gun every time I draw or holster. Any suggestions?
To Plan-B: I am no “old-timer” (unless 30 is old), Lol. I am not sure what it is exactly about the Polymer frames that turns me off. Maybe it’s how light they are. Maybe I just like the heavier feel of the metal frames. Maybe I have no good reasons to not like them. Never rusting is a very good argument for pro polymer.