PDA

View Full Version : Significance of 91/30 with SN "2"?

mr.precision
12-23-2010, 3:56 PM
While browsing Mosin 91/30's at our friendly Big5, I looked at a war production Izzy with the serial number "2". Matching on receiver, bolt, buttplate and floorplate. All marked "2" (only), well centered on all parts, no other serial numbers. Rifle was typical Big5 quality. Does this oddball serial number have any particular value?

Anchors
12-23-2010, 4:40 PM
Which factory and what year?

Sounds pretty cool to me!

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 4:44 PM
These guns were all rebuilt and re-serial numbered so I wouldn't think it was anything too crazy. Definitely kinda cool though!

Anchors
12-23-2010, 5:11 PM
These guns were all rebuilt and re-serial numbered so I wouldn't think it was anything too crazy. Definitely kinda cool though!

Can't you tell the different between scrubbed and restamped numbers and the real ones?

Whenever I see new serials all the old ones are obviously srubbed or lined out.

All of these are matching. I would have to see it in real life, but who knows. Maybe it was the 2nd rifle made that year at that arsenal. (Probably not the 2nd one ever haha.)

Palimino Stripe
12-23-2010, 5:53 PM
A lot of people put significant weight on serials. I do not. That mosin just happened to be the second one they made after they reached the maximum # in the previous serial block...

I have a Mosin M44 that is #17.

Basically- it's not like they started at serial #1 in January and kept going until December. They (re)started serial numbers over all the time (otherwise Mosins made in late December of 1942 would have serials up in the 2,000,000's)...

Oh also- it is unlikely they scrubbed the original number on the barrel shank- i.e. the barrel probably was #2... during the refurb process they mixed & matched parts to match the barrel. So everything else probably isn't original to the gun...

-Palimino

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 6:48 PM
Oh also- it is unlikely they scrubbed the original number on the barrel shank- i.e. the barrel probably was #2... during the refurb process they mixed & matched parts to match the barrel. So everything else probably isn't original to the gun...

-Palimino

Exactly. I should have clarified that.

mosinnagantm9130
12-23-2010, 7:38 PM
That mosin just happened to be the second one they made after they reached the maximum # in the previous serial block...

Basically- it's not like they started at serial #1 in January and kept going until December. They (re)started serial numbers over all the time (otherwise Mosins made in late December of 1942 would have serials up in the 2,000,000's)...

+1 to that.

6mmintl
12-26-2010, 4:02 PM
Just one of 30 million