PDA

View Full Version : Legality of building up a 70% receiver for bolt action

CaGunNut
07-24-2006, 7:32 PM
Would it be legal to have a 70% receiver (no mag well) and build it up to use as an bolt action rifle in the PRK? What features on a receiver would classify a lower receiver as an AR class/style receiver?

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 7:50 PM
Would it be legal to have a 70% receiver (no mag well) and build it up to use as an bolt action rifle in the PRK? What features on a receiver would classify a lower receiver as an AR class/style receiver?
Yes it is legal to build a rifle for your own use as long as you don't sell it. It would be much simplier to just get the single shot DPMS lower. There is no such thing as an AR style receiver. To be illegal it must be listed by make and model.

http://dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=LR-05V

bwiese
07-24-2006, 9:59 PM
This has been gone thru awhile back.

First thing, 70%, 80%, etc lowers are legal. It's when they become 100% receivers that issues open.

I do not recommend anyone build an AR receiver. While it is off list, there is a chance that - because homebuilt receivers can never practicably be listed - that somehow something goes sideways in this special situaition, and Harrott perhaps does not apply and perhaps Kasler takes over again. Harrott clearly applies to commercially mfgd rifles/receivers in general trade - and this would be in left field.

There is ZERO reason to build an AR receiver when a perfectly good OLL can be bought at a very reasonable price these days.

Also, bolt action (or non-semiauto action) on an AR could lead to a questionable situation since the lower is separable from the upper (which contains the action type) - so you'd still want a fixed 10rd mag or run in a legal gripless configuration. NEVER HAVE AN OFF_LIST AR LOWER WITH A PISTOL GRIP AND/OR TELESTOCK AFFIXED WHEN THERE IS AN OPEN MAGWELL (i.e., no fixed magazine screwed down).

Read the FAQ and the AR/AK memo for more details - they're on the blue title bar at top of Calguns webpage...

blacklisted
07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
This may be a bit different because it appears that he wants to build one with a solid magwell. (single shot)

This has been gone thru awhile back.

First thing, 70%, 80%, etc lowers are legal. It's when they become 100% receivers that issues open.

I do not recommend anyone build an AR receiver. While it is off list, there is a chance that - because homebuilt receivers can never practicably be listed - that somehow something goes sideways in this special situaition, and Harrott perhaps does not apply and perhaps Kasler takes over again. Harrott clearly applies to commercially mfgd rifles/receivers in general trade - and this would be in left field.

There is ZERO reason to build an AR receiver when a perfectly good OLL can be bought at a very reasonable price these days.

Also, bolt action (or non-semiauto action) on an AR could lead to a questionable situation since the lower is separable from the upper (which contains the action type) - so you'd still want a fixed 10rd mag or run in a legal gripless configuration. NEVER HAVE AN OFF_LIST AR LOWER WITH A PISTOL GRIP AND/OR TELESTOCK AFFIXED WHEN THERE IS AN OPEN MAGWELL (i.e., no fixed magazine screwed down).

Read the FAQ and the AR/AK memo for more details - they're on the blue title bar at top of Calguns webpage...

CaGunNut
07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
This may be a bit different because it appears that he wants to build one with a solid magwell. (single shot)

Yes. The solid magwell build, was the issue I was hoping to get some light shed on.

fun2none
07-25-2006, 3:33 AM

Take a look the previous discussion on building a slide action from 80% lower.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=36762

By blocking the buffer tube and chopping the bolt carrier, you can make a slide action with detachable magazine. A semi-auto bolt carrier will not fit, nor function, if the buffer tube is blocked.

If you want a single shot, just get DPMS single shot receiver.

JPglee1
07-25-2006, 7:05 AM
If you want a single shot, just get DPMS single shot receiver.

How much are they?

Some of the 80% receivers are pretty cheap arent they???

I like the idea of 80% because I built it, and its satisfying to know that...

J

fun2none
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
A local shop in San Jose quoted me a $190 to order DPMS single shop. That was a year ago. For $190, plus the fun factor, I'd rather build 80% slide action lower receiver.

grammaton76
07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Isn't the DPMS banned due to the "DPMS Panther (all)" listing?

Or has the DOJ officially exempted the single shot lower?

NRAhighpowershooter
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
80% lowers usually run about $120 or so

SemiAutoSam
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Isn't the DPMS banned due to the "DPMS Panther (all)" listing?

Or has the DOJ officially exempted the single shot lower?

I dont think the single shot lower receiver can accept a magazine

The pic is small but it should show that a mag will not lockup And I dont beleve there is a provision for a mag catch either.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/SingleShotArLower.gif

C.G.
07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I dont think the single shot lower receiver can accept a magazine

The pic is small but it should show that a mag will not lockup And I dont beleve there is a provision for a mag catch either.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/SingleShotArLower.gif

You are correct, those are legal in PRK. They cannot accept a magazine, there is no magwell.