PDA

View Full Version : .........

BigBamBoo
12-23-2010, 2:08 PM

tenpercentfirearms
12-23-2010, 5:00 PM
What we have found works is to mute the call when they start coming in like that instead of making noise like a human. When the call mutes, they usually will stop and stare for a bit to try and figure out what is going on.

Also, why the hesitation? Was his gun loaded? Did he have the safety on? As soon as we start the call, safeties are off and the gun is ready to fire. If a coyote comes in skittish like that, we shoot as soon as it stops.

A dead coyote is a dead coyote! A second longer and it might have gotten away (edit: I finished watching it and it did get away. How far over the ridge did he search. That sucker probably didn't go more than 200 yards, but you never know.) Just some tips I have noticed as DerbyAcresBob has taught me over his many, many dead coyotes.

Thanks for posting Stan. Keep it up.

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 5:10 PM
Looks like a good time! Another CGN member and I are going to be trying our hand at coyote hunting in a couple weeks. We'll see how we do!

1lostinspace
12-23-2010, 5:26 PM
damn dude get a Harris and some sand bags and let him have it!

BigBamBoo
12-23-2010, 7:41 PM

rabbiddog
12-23-2010, 7:46 PM
Well I was set up on my shooting sticks but the real problem is when I sat down I moved the bolt up just enough to prevent my rifle from shooting,So it took a few seconds to figure out exactly why it didn't go off and by the time I recovered the Coyote was on the move.
Next we looked for that coyote for 20 minutes maybe more but as Stan mentioned in the video it was real brushy on the other side of that ridge then opened up at the bottom along a creek bed, over 300 yards of interminent brush and thick overgrowth.That Coyote could have been anywhere in a thousand different thickets.
There are a hundred different things we could have done to get this yote to stop, and Stan had it stopped if not for the issue with my bolt it would have been dead right there.
Now everbody gets to sit back and critique the set and the way it played and thats fine thats why we put it up..............Just remember while most of you were at work or getting ready for work Stan and I were out calling Coyotes and thats way better than work.

Frank

starin
12-23-2010, 7:52 PM
do you guys know of any good blm land near hollister?

ENTHUSIAST
12-23-2010, 8:20 PM
I really enjoy your yote hunting vids thanks for posting.

Shoot-it
12-23-2010, 8:28 PM
do you guys know of any good blm land near hollister?

Clear creek .

The bolt thing happened to me before to.I have a habit of checking it once I sit down and begin calling now.

Eric Mayer
12-23-2010, 8:40 PM
Good video!

I watched it in full HD on my 25" monitor and it looked great! Stan, what camera are you using?

Frank, what caliber and bullet are you shooting?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Eric :cool:

BigBamBoo
12-23-2010, 9:26 PM

Shoot-it
12-23-2010, 9:27 PM
Don't bother howling at the dog after you have shot it.It will not stop and look at you again.That animal is in pain or scared to death and is heading to the next county.

starin
12-23-2010, 9:43 PM
clear creek is still closed unfortunatley.

rabbiddog
12-23-2010, 9:44 PM
Stan is correct, I'm shooting a 243 with my hand loaded 75 Gr. VMAX normally the coyotes just drop but sometimes they run.
I lung shot 1 a couple years back with a 55 Gr. VMAX from my Savage Mld.12 in .223 and it still went 80-100 yards and it had a huge hole in its lungs, So you just never know whats going to happen or how the set up will play out but then thats some of the fun in calling coyotes.
A good video to watch is the Coyote Rage video put out by L&M Outdoors.com they show a couple sets where you see a coyote hit and go down and they never recovered the animal, So its not just me :taz:.......its not......its not

cruddymutt
12-23-2010, 10:05 PM
The next best thing to hunting yotes is watchin videos of people hunting yotes. I enjoyed it. Makes me appreciate the lack of vegitation out here in the desert. Ill be going out tomorrow night and again Sunday morning.

tenpercentfirearms
12-24-2010, 8:06 AM
I have watched coyotes get shot and run away for hundreds of yards. They get away sometimes.

I'm just giving you tips on how you can get us some good video of you holding up a dead coyote is all. You still shot well to hit him on the move. Not everyone would have still hit that coyote.

And yes for rifle calling on generally flat terrain, get a bipod! We also carry shooting sticks in the hills now because sometimes even our tall Harris bipods are not used and we use sticks instead.

Either way, when you start that call, safety off! My dad learned that early on when he was looking at a coyote just 40 yards away or so. The coyote was focused right on the call, blasting in his ear any everything. As soon as the safety clicked, that coyote looked straight over right at my dad. I can't remember if he got the coyote or not, but the moral of the story is reduce the number of distractors and/or time it takes to shoot. As we see in this video, they won't give you forever.

And if you used an AR the bolt wouldn't have been an issue! :43:

I kid I kid! Again a nice video.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-24-2010, 8:22 AM
Great job guys. I will be hitting it hard next week and get some great shots of the piles of fur.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-24-2010, 8:23 AM
I have watched coyotes get shot and run away for hundreds of yards. They get away sometimes.

I'm just giving you tips on how you can get us some good video of you holding up a dead coyote is all. You still shot well to hit him on the move. Not everyone would have still hit that coyote.

And yes for rifle calling on generally flat terrain, get a bipod! We also carry shooting sticks in the hills now because sometimes even our tall Harris bipods are not used and we use sticks instead.

Either way, when you start that call, safety off! My dad learned that early on when he was looking at a coyote just 40 yards away or so. The coyote was focused right on the call, blasting in his ear any everything. As soon as the safety clicked, that coyote looked straight over right at my dad. I can't remember if he got the coyote or not, but the moral of the story is reduce the number of distractors and/or time it takes to shoot. As we see in this video, they won't give you forever.

And if you used an AR the bolt wouldn't have been an issue! :43:

I kid I kid! Again a nice video.

I have shot some with a double lung and they can still go up to 2 miles or more.

rabbiddog
12-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I've been hunting Coyotes for about 15 years off and on and I still get schooled by them every once in a while.
Ever trip out I learn something either new or something I may have forgot over the years.
I shot 1 center chest just recently that I didn't recover there was blood and fur all over the ground,But again I was in an area that had thick brush and black berry's down in the creek bottoms followed the blood trail right into the black berry but that was no fun and for a yote that was in summer prime well I didn't get all gung ho about the recovery.

Shoot-it
12-25-2010, 8:03 AM
The way I see it is hit or miss or bad shot they run off and die somewhere.
Sorry that was not a good shot and you know it.You have been hunting a long time like me and you know a good hit when you see it they just die.

I have put bad shots on them to like blowing off a front leg with my 270 and seeing the dog lay down then walking down and not finding him he ran off to die or live on. I don't like telling those stories no one wants to read them but it happens.

Big Jake
12-25-2010, 9:58 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing!

tony270
12-25-2010, 3:33 PM
That was a good shot and fantastic camera work. It looked to me that the shot was a little high in the lung area, but it was a solid hit none the less. Coyotes are one of the toughest critters I know of, you can blast ones heart clean out and liquefy its lungs with a small caliber round and it will still run.

If you don’t want the pelt shoot a lager caliber, they won't run away from shots like that. What happend to Frank happens to me all the time. But my brother is going to get his license soon and then I’ll have a wingman. But I say just keep doing how you’re doing, or heck, that Frank guy is a good shot, just have him shoot them in the head, aim for the eyes and they drop.

Thanks for sharing, and don’t sweat the complainers, just state what your opinion is like you did and keep on pushing. Thanks again man.

See, everybody sees things differently.

rabbiddog
12-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Well they are quite tough....I have had several get 40 -100 yards after the shot, It just hasn't happened much with the 243. I've had good luck with the 75 gr. VMAX just putting em down hard.
Just the way this 1 played out we'll make up for it next time. Weather permitting we're going to hit it again Tuesday.

Frank

Shoot-it
12-26-2010, 8:59 PM
good luck.

I hope the rains stop to and it starts drying up a little.