PDA

View Full Version : Non-Lead Ammo

D Harry
12-23-2010, 1:22 PM
What's up with this?
Look at the map....
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/Ridley-TreeCondorPreservationAct.pdf
What of you are not hunting and just shooting in the yellow non-lead area....?
Can you target shoot with lead bullets? This doesn't make sense!

theseacow
12-23-2010, 1:55 PM
the act as a whole is retarded and doesnt make any sense, but it only applies to hunting. Target shoot with all the lead ammo you want.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-23-2010, 2:01 PM
Just make sure if you are target shooting and decide to hunt after wards there may be no leaded projectiles in your possession or vehicle.

D Harry
12-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Thanks... so while target shooting, carry no hunting license... and while hunting carry no lead ammo. Hope we don't regulate ourselves to death.
This is so retarded.. while hunting you may not even shoot any rounds, maybe 1 or 2, but target shooting many lead rounds end up to be swallowed by Condor or game bird?
I bet they don't eat them.... if they do, they will pass right on through.

Argonaut
12-23-2010, 2:40 PM
the Hog Blog site has an extended conversation about it with case law and references. Some places are trying to outlaw lead fishing sinkers.

portegee
12-23-2010, 2:56 PM
Thanks... so while target shooting, carry no hunting license... and while hunting carry no lead ammo. Hope we don't regulate ourselves to death.
This is so retarded.. while hunting you may not even shoot any rounds, maybe 1 or 2, but target shooting many lead rounds end up to be swallowed by Condor or game bird?
I bet they don't eat them.... if they do, they will pass right on through.

The reasoning behind their bull**** law is that the predatory birds don't pick up the lead off the ground, they ingest it when eating dead animals that still have lead in them from being shot previously just the normal bull for ca

professionalcoyotehunter
12-23-2010, 3:33 PM
the Hog Blog site has an extended conversation about it with case law and references. Some places are trying to outlaw lead fishing sinkers.

A lot of privately owned lakes in CA already have.

edgerly779
12-23-2010, 4:05 PM
In the vehicle ok just not in your possesion while in field in act of hunting. Hey Kurt did you try the 53 gr tsx barnes. Jack

Helpful_Cub
12-23-2010, 4:18 PM
It runs me $2 for .308 and $0.50 for a .223 for a non-lead hunting round. I have yet to find any .22LR that's non-lead and expanding, but I understand they've forced that one into effect as well.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-23-2010, 4:26 PM
.22lr lead free is pure tin made by winchester it is carried at most walmarts but is difficult to find at times.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-23-2010, 4:26 PM
In the vehicle ok just not in your possesion while in field in act of hunting. Hey Kurt did you try the 53 gr tsx barnes. Jack

Not yet buddy. the weather has kept me in the house. I will get out soon and try it.

devilinblack
12-23-2010, 5:42 PM
I have yet to find any .22LR that's non-lead and expanding, but I understand they've forced that one into effect as well.

There are people around here making claims that because lead free .22lr now exists that you have to use it. Try finding anything from the DFG saying that though and let me know how it goes.

As for it being at "most" wal-marts, it's not at any of the 2 or 3 that I hit on a regular basis when looking for ammo.

Helpful_Cub
12-23-2010, 9:26 PM
There are people around here making claims that because lead free .22lr now exists that you have to use it. Try finding anything from the DFG saying that though and let me know how it goes.

As for it being at "most" wal-marts, it's not at any of the 2 or 3 that I hit on a regular basis when looking for ammo.

Visit the 2010-2011 Regulations and you will see there is no longer an exemption for .22LR. It stinks, but that's they way its currently written.

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=22240

D Harry
12-24-2010, 8:25 AM
So .. out in the field, hunter wounds animal. Animal goes away and dies or can't be found and another animal eats it. That's a lot of wounded animals we have left out there..... I don't believe this. I'm wondering how much $ they spent on this study and who made the money? SO what to do? Is copper cased lead oK like FMJ for CF? Steel shot for shotguns. The tin Win. 22lrs are sort of a joke.... you are more bound to wound with those!

professionalcoyotehunter
12-24-2010, 8:39 AM

It is available in my next of the woods most of the time. Probably less hunters here in my neck of the woods who use it. As for the use of it. It was in effect since July 1 2010 since the availability of .22lr tin has been available. As stated above there is no longer an exemption.

olhunter
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
...Steel shot for shotguns. The tin Win. 22lrs are sort of a joke.... you are more bound to wound with those!

You can hunt small game with leaded ammo in the Condor zone. Upland birds, rabbits, tree squirrels, etc.
The lead ban is for big game and non game only. Just read up on what's what and who's who in the zoo.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-24-2010, 10:12 AM
You are correct. Since non-game animals typically get left in the field.

devilinblack
12-24-2010, 12:53 PM
You can hunt small game with leaded ammo in the Condor zone. Upland birds, rabbits, tree squirrels, etc.
The lead ban is for big game and non game only. Just read up on what's what and who's who in the zoo.

This clarifies what I was thinking. For some reason non-game species hadn't really crossed my mind.

Helpful_Cub
12-24-2010, 1:11 PM
This clarifies what I was thinking. For some reason non-game species hadn't really crossed my mind.

But Yotes are so much fun!

devilinblack
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
If I'm going after a non-game animal, it would be bobcats. At least the pelt is worthwhile and I'd probably try the meat as well. Hell, I'd probably take the hide and try some meat on a yote too, but so far it's not a priority.

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
So .. out in the field, hunter wounds animal. Animal goes away and dies or can't be found and another animal eats it. That's a lot of wounded animals we have left out there..... I don't believe this. I'm wondering how much $ they spent on this study and who made the money? SO what to do? Is copper cased lead oK like FMJ for CF? Steel shot for shotguns. The tin Win. 22lrs are sort of a joke.... you are more bound to wound with those!

you're about 2 years late with your rant. Every thought on this ridiculous law has been beat to death on this forum and every other forum with CA hunters. Do a little searching, and you'll find all the info you need.

D Harry
12-29-2010, 2:43 PM
you're about 2 years late with your rant. Every thought on this ridiculous law has been beat to death on this forum and every other forum with CA hunters. Do a little searching, and you'll find all the info you need.
I realize that. Got my daughter off to college and have some extra time for myself, so I thought I'd get back to doing what I like.. kicking the dirt. Started reading up and have a tuff time understanding game laws.. let alone the new stuff. Thanks for your replies....!