PDA

View Full Version : Is The "IZZY" Brake Legal???

10TH AMENDMENT
07-24-2006, 6:09 PM
It this Bushmaster upper with an "IZZY" Brake attached to the muzzle OK for assembly on an OLL???

Here is the link:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b14m4iz.asp

Here is the brake itself:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/iz-102660-prbf.asp

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 7:18 PM
Anything is legal if you have a fixed mag however I'm assuming you mean for a drop mag build. Yes that is a muzzle brake and not a flash hider and would be legal. This is the Izzy FLASH HIDER and would not be legal for a drop mag build http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/iz-102660-fh.asp .

moulton
07-24-2006, 7:28 PM
whats the diff?:confused:

ohsmily
07-24-2006, 7:33 PM

Flash suppressors usually (almost always) have an "open" front that is much larger than the diameter of the bullet. Muzzle brakes have an exit diameter that is close to the diameter of the bullet. The wide open exit on a flash suppressor allows hot gasses and unburned powder to expand and cool in the large exit whereas the narrower exit on a muzzle brake (regardless of slots) still makes the gasses and unburned powder go straight out the end and make a BIG flash. Sometimes the ports on a muzzle brake can actually increase flash depending on the configuration of the porting.

The following is another description of the distinction that I wrote on another thread...(redundant with the above, but just in case I missed something).
"Whether something is a brake or a flash suppressor has nothing to do with slots or holes or otherwise...

you will see that a muzzle brake doesn't have an area for the gases to expand toward the end of the barrel (basically, muzzle brakes maintain more or less the same bore diameter all the way to their exit point whereas flash hiders open up and have a much bigger area for the gas to expand in and allow the unburnt powder to combust quickly right at the exit rather than spitting out in front of the barrel...

it has nothing to do with slots or holes or anything else. Some flash hiders don't have any holes or slots, like the original one for the M1 Carbine (the opening cone). However, most all muzzle brakes (unless for weight) have holes or porting in them. But again, muzzle brakes have more or less the same exit bore diameter as the bore of the barrel (only slightly bigger so the bullet can pass freely whereas flash hiders open up to a large diameter."

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 7:35 PM
A flash hider will have a larger diameter than the caliber of the rifle to allow the unburned gases to burn. It will also direct the gases away from the shooters line of sight. A muzzle brake will have around the same diameter as the caliber of the rifle and will direct the gases up/sideways to reduce the felt recoil.

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 7:36 PM
Posted right before me smiley, oh well we said the same thing :cool: .

chris
07-24-2006, 9:52 PM
i have asked the question of muzzle brakes and i forgot about it. but is there a list of brakes that are approved by the DOJ.

for example IZZY brake?
or the AK74 muzzle brake now that thing is a great brake
there is the YHM brakes too.
also woudl this cover the the threaded and non-threaded barrels.

i'm sure people know

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 9:56 PM
i have asked the question of muzzle brakes and i forgot about it. but is there a list of brakes that are approved by the DOJ.

for example IZZY brake?
or the AK74 muzzle brake now that thing is a great brake
there is the YHM brakes too.
also woudl this cover the the threaded and non-threaded barrels.

i'm sure people know
What are you asking? No I have never seen a list of approved "brakes" by the DOJ. What about threaded barrels?

chris
07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
this is for those like myself who has both right now. i have a bushmaster that does not have anything on it. don't worry anyone it is registered back in 2000 or so. whatever the fricken date was. i have a M4 upper right now and i want to get a muzzle brake for it. it has to be welded and the IZZY brake featured here is perfectr in length it will make my barrel over 16" and make it completely legal. as this is what all of us want in the end.

allthough most people including LE are not very knowlegable in this area anything that will help anyone would be great.

remember the thread. on parperwork to have when shooting your AR or OLL. what happened to that?

the idea of someone making a PDF for people download would be a great idea.

10TH AMENDMENT
07-25-2006, 7:03 AM
ohsmily and blkA4alb:

Thanks for the very informative replies.

Just to clarify; I was asking about the legality of the IZZY brake specifically in respect to a SB-23 compliant OLL.

Thanks again, guys.

ohsmily
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
It is a brake. In fact, the Izzy brake will probably increase flash signature.

Chaingun
07-26-2006, 6:51 AM
They were suggesting a port at 12, 3, 6, 9 O'clock which I think would give the shooting muzzle blast in the sigh picture. Interesting, whose side are they on:D