PDA

View Full Version : Decisions? **Update**

Ron-Solo
12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I am planning on purchasing a new handgun while I can still purchase off roster guns (LEO retiring soon)

I'm looking at the following choices:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c (I already have the M&P 9 and love it)
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380
Smith & Wesson M&P 45

I'm hoping to get all three before March, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely get two.

Update: I went by today and he didn't have the M&P 45 I wanted, but can special order it for me. I DROS'd the M&P 9c today and it's in "Gun Jail" until the 3rd of January.

I'm going to get the .45 too, but will probably get the Bodyguard 380 first because it's on sale and I can get it for $299 +tax/DROS.

Too many people said get all three to pass it up.

I already have Glocks and HK, but no SIGs........YET! I do have some sig magazines tho.....:cool:

nick
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
M&Ps are solid, no question there, if they fit your hand right. Bodyguard, I've read some pretty bad reviews on it. There're other small .380s. Have you tried Ruger LCP? It's cheaper, too.

Ron-Solo
12-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Already have the LCP. Love it! I can get the Bodyguard for $299 NIB. Just can't make up my mind. Don't "need" any, but won't be able to buy them after March with the model I want.

nick
12-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Here's another off-list one, and there're few of them in CA. Witness Elite series. I have a Witness Elite Match, and I love it. Very accurate, beautiful trigger out of the box, and it doesn't break the bank.

Also, Dan Wessons are nice, and the ones they still make aren't on the list. They're pretty hard to find in CA should you decide to get one later.

bsg
12-23-2010, 2:02 AM
S&W M&P 9c

Vanilla Gorilla
12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
isnt the m&p 45 on the roster?
if it was up to me i would get a m&p pro 9mm just my .02 cents

kermit315
12-23-2010, 1:02 PM
I would skip the bodyguard.....built in lasers bother me in that if they fail, you are pretty much screwed and need a new frame. I like my LCP for carry. I will probably get a CT add on for it, but at least its external if it fails.

Kanoodler
12-23-2010, 1:29 PM
If it were up to me...maybe your last purchase as a full-time LEO would pay homage to whichever model you started with, and get something in that series or family of firearm. So most likely, some flavor of .38 / .357 wheelie. Heck, maybe even a Performance Center wheelie would be cool....Sort of a nod and salute to the type that saved your bacon all those years...How bout a performance center .357 in a clamshell? Hmmmmm.

Then I would re-up as a paid part-timer with another agency ...and keep on shopping!! :yes:

ZX-10R
12-23-2010, 1:33 PM
M&P 45 with thumb safety. Love mine.

Shenaniguns
12-23-2010, 2:39 PM
I'd get the compact now and .45 later.

Oceanbob
12-23-2010, 3:00 PM
(and Congrats and thanks for your service to the Community) :D

I would get two. The M&P 9C because you love the larger model so well.

And the M&P .45. Because everybody needs another 45 and I've heard good things about this weapon.

Two is never enough...hahaha. :43:

Since you're retiring I guess you will do some reloading?

Bob

sniper4usmc
12-23-2010, 3:07 PM
bodyguard is NOT on the DOJ list.

RollingCode3
12-23-2010, 3:17 PM
Go with the 45acp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1104.jpg

golfrj
12-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Ron, I had to choose Other, I think if I could bring one in it would Have to be those HK P7's that have been traded in by European Police, Top Gun has some that are Beautiful plus they will Always hold their Value and shoot like a SOB..
Have Fun Huntin, and stay Safe until you retire (then get Weird)...

Ranger20
12-23-2010, 3:39 PM
bodyguard is NOT on the DOJ list.

Correct ... but he is currently an LEO.. with options...
Semper Fi

Ranger20
12-23-2010, 3:48 PM
Buy an HK P7 from TopGun Supply
Buy a HK P30
Buy a Glock 17 and 19 with Free state mags.
Buy a Walther PPS
Buy a couple of good 1911's that are not on the list.
Buy and MP5... Civillian version
Buy a sig 220 Combat with a threaded barrel
Buy a sig 226 combat with a treaded barrel.

Thats my list.

Turbinator
12-23-2010, 4:04 PM
Off topic - congratulations on making it through your career to retirement! I'm sure there were some hairy times!

Turby

fennecfrank
12-23-2010, 4:09 PM
get a 1911 at the 100th anniversary!!

Legasat
12-23-2010, 4:52 PM
9c - great carry gun - shares ammo with the 9mm you already have

glockman19
12-23-2010, 6:39 PM
I would get all of them...:D

I would also consider buying a gun a month until retirement that you could re-sell later...like perhaps another Ruger LCP .380...or two...or three ;)

Ron-Solo
12-23-2010, 9:54 PM
If it were up to me...maybe your last purchase as a full-time LEO would pay homage to whichever model you started with, and get something in that series or family of firearm. So most likely, some flavor of .38 / .357 wheelie. Heck, maybe even a Performance Center wheelie would be cool....Sort of a nod and salute to the type that saved your bacon all those years...How bout a performance center .357 in a clamshell? Hmmmmm.

Then I would re-up as a paid part-timer with another agency ...and keep on shopping!! :yes:

When we went to the Beretta's in the 80's I was able to buy my original issue S&W Model 15 from the County with "LASD" stamped on the side plate for $175. It wasn't new when I got it in 1978, but it is still in excellent condition and a great shooter. I will be buying my Beretta 92F when I retire also.

I also carried a S&W Model 66 that got me through two gunfights safely that is still one of my favorites.

Too many injuries to stay in LE, even as a part-timer or reserve.

Kanoodler
12-24-2010, 9:49 AM
Thank you for your service, Ron! Congratulations on getting out safely using your Mdl 66, and for reaching retirement in an upright condition!! Kudos that you purchased your Mod. 15 and will get your 92F.

My first experience in seeing a model 15 was in the hands of an LASD NARCO deputy who had just launched a couple of rounds inside a dwelling during a rake and break. I just happened to be around the corner when it happened....He was walking outside the building with that 6" bbl Model 15 in his hand, and from a block away I could see that distinctive tall front sight.

I gotta get one of those 15s someday....

golfrj
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I already have Glocks and HK, but no SIGs........YET! I do have some sig magazines tho.....:cool:

Ron, Ron, You Gotta have a Sig 229 in 40/357 with a 9mm barrel.. You LIFE is Incomplete without one.. Have a Good, Safe, Holidays...

Ron-Solo
12-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Golfrj,

I think you're right. I've shot a lot of Sigs and haven't met one I didn't like. I need a shooting 45 first and really like the M&P 45 with no magazine disconnect, no thumb safety, full size frame with the 4" barrel. My favorite gun dealer is going to order one for me after the new year.

My only .45 is a safe queen LASD Colt Commemorative made in the 80's. Beautiful gun, but not a shooter.

I'm going to get the Bodyguard 380 to keep my LCP company.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

zfields
12-24-2010, 11:02 PM
When we went to the Beretta's in the 80's I was able to buy my original issue S&W Model 15 from the County with "LASD" stamped on the side plate for $175. It wasn't new when I got it in 1978, but it is still in excellent condition and a great shooter. I will be buying my Beretta 92F when I retire also.

I also carried a S&W Model 66 that got me through two gunfights safely that is still one of my favorites.

Too many injuries to stay in LE, even as a part-timer or reserve.

Thats awesome they let you buy your original sidearm.

Glad to see your able to retire out.

Thanks for not transfering over to probation, gives guys like me a chance to get in : )

Vanilla Gorilla
12-25-2010, 8:02 AM
Good to hear you have come to your senses and just got all 3 lol

Ron-Solo
12-25-2010, 9:15 PM
Good to hear you have come to your senses and just got all 3 lol

I'm little slow sometimes. 32 years in this crazy job will do it.

Seriously though, it has been a great run.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, opens some new windows.