PDA

View Full Version : My SB23 Compliant - PTR91K (with pic)

Forever-A-Soldier
07-24-2006, 3:42 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/424005.jpg

O.k., by the picture you can't tell it's compliant, but it is:

#1. Magazine is a converted 20-rounder that now holds a max of 9-10 rounds. The 10th one is difficult to get in. Info on conversion is still pending since I'm working through last minute legal issues, but I'm confident that it IS COMPLIANT according to law. (If I wasn't I wouldn't have posted the pic now would I? :D )

#2. Magazine is fixed in position using a steel spacer, cut to size. Picked up a "1/4 x 3/8 x 3/4" steel spacer from Lowes and cut it to size (about 8mm long). Ground it down just a bit to fit in place of original spring. You could also use a 1/4 inch copper pipe, cut to size for the spacer also. The copper was easier to cut, but I was concerned about heat issues so went with the steel sleeve. Tool is required to remove roll pin to disassemble magazine catch to remove the magazine, therefore it meets current CCR rules.

Of course after doing all of this, I realized I didn't take any pics of the process... "DOH!!!" :o

Next in line is a trip to the range to see how the magazine functions. I'll still need to load through the ejection port, so I'm bringing gloves as I understand it get's really hot, even after just 10 rounds.

Update to follow after Range trip.

F.A.S. Out

6172crew
07-24-2006, 3:45 PM
O.k., by the picture you can't tell it's compliant, but it is:

#1. Magazine is a converted 20-rounder that now holds a max of 9-10 rounds. The 10th one is difficult to get in. Info on conversion is still pending since I'm working through last minute legal issues, but I'm confident that it IS COMPLIANT according to law. (If I wasn't I wouldn't have posted the pic now would I? :D )

#2. Magazine is fixed in position using a steel spacer, cut to size. Picked up a "1/4 x 3/8 x 3/4" steel spacer from Lowes and cut it to size (about 8mm long). Ground it down just a bit to fit in place of original spring. You could also use a 1/4 inch copper pipe, cut to size for the spacer also. The copper was easier to cut, but I was concerned about heat issues so went with the steel sleeve. Tool is required to remove roll pin to disassemble magazine catch to remove the magazine, therefore it meets current CCR rules.

Of course after doing all of this, I realized I didn't take any pics of the process... "DOH!!!" :o

Next in line is a trip to the range to see how the magazine functions. I'll still need to load through the ejection port, so I'm bringing gloves as I understand it get's really hot, even after just 10 rounds.

Update to follow after Range trip.

F.A.S. Out

Very Nice!

grammaton76
07-24-2006, 3:48 PM
Very nice much cash into this ??

was the receiver / trunion barrel process hard to do ?

I think he bought a PTR-91 rifle and did his own fixed-mag kit for it.

Forever-A-Soldier
07-24-2006, 4:01 PM
Should have stated... Yes, I bought the gun complete with the receiver/barrel section going to my FFL and the trigger assy, flash hider, and buttstock (folding type) coming to me. I switched the folding for a fixed and have the U.S. made HK93 handguards ordered to replace JLD's vented handguard. I'm selling the folding stock on Gunbroker to recoup some $$$ I spent on the other items.

F.A.S. Out

donger
07-25-2006, 3:11 PM
Can't see the pic. What happened?

blkA4alb
07-25-2006, 3:21 PM
Neither can I, no pic.

Forever-A-Soldier
07-25-2006, 4:34 PM
Hosting site is down. :confused:

Hopefully it will be back up soon, so check back.

F.A.S. Out

Crazed_SS
07-25-2006, 7:05 PM
How much did it cost to build that thing? I imagine you could have probably just got a nice M1A. I dont see the use if a semi-auto rifle that has to be loaded through the ejection port.

It looks cool though.

Forever-A-Soldier
07-25-2006, 7:15 PM
Already got an M1A which is my main "go to" gun now. The PTR91 is for collecting and fun. Wish I had bought a real HK91 back in the day when they were $595. (Early 80s).

I agree, it is limited for practicality, but will be more useful once I leave the PRK someday in the future.

F.A.S. Out

6172crew
07-25-2006, 7:23 PM
How much did it cost to build that thing? I imagine you could have probably just got a nice M1A. I dont see the use is a semi-auto rifle that has to be loaded through the ejection port.

It looks cool though.
The steel grips can be removed and used like a M1A which have gotten so expensive that Im just about priced out.

A good LRB is 2k and fully loaded G3 is $1500, and FAL is $1000 and the AR10 should be around $12-1500, I guess we can think Klinton for destroying all the surplus M14s huh.:(

Crazed_SS
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Yea.. M1A's are expensive :(

Guinness
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Very nice! - I like your style FAS! :)

Forever-A-Soldier
07-27-2006, 8:44 PM
Just got back from the range and the PTR91K worked great. I've got the wide handguards on it now (Thanks TopNotchParts! :) ). This rifle really throws the brass! No problems with the modified magazine and as I was only loading 5-6 rounds at a time, it didn't heat up too bad when loading through the ejection port.

I only test fired, but didn't do much with accuracy. Hit the steel plates a couple of times at 200 yds, but lighting was poor and I'm not the best shooter with iron sights to start with.

My vote is, get one while you can, but it wouldn't be my "go to" rifle by any means. Looks great and fun to shoot!

F.A.S. Out

DrjonesUSA
07-28-2006, 8:22 AM
My vote is, get one while you can, but it wouldn't be my "go to" rifle by any means.

F.A.S. Out

Just because of its pinned-mag configuration, or for other reasons?

Forever-A-Soldier
07-28-2006, 9:23 AM
A pinned mag rifle would not be my choice for any go to rifle, if that was your question, but I also prefer a weapon where the bolt locks back on the last round, like the AR series and M1A series. I'm not real wild about the PTR91's (& HK) iron sights. As is, I fully believe in scoping most rifles for combat/defense type situations (though you can mount a scope on the HK types and clones).

The question everyone asks when looking at any weapon they don't own is "should I buy it?" The answer will vary from person to person and from different needs and wants.

F.A.S. Out

DrjonesUSA
07-28-2006, 9:38 AM
A pinned mag rifle would not be my choice for any go to rifle, if that was your question, but I also prefer a weapon where the bolt locks back on the last round, like the AR series and M1A series. I'm not real wild about the PTR91's (& HK) iron sights. As is, I fully believe in scoping most rifles for combat/defense type situations (though you can mount a scope on the HK types and clones).

The question everyone asks when looking at any weapon they don't own is "should I buy it?" The answer will vary from person to person and from different needs and wants.

F.A.S. Out

The bolt does NOT lock back on these new PTRs?? I was under the impression that they designed a bolt-hold-open into them??!!

If it's true that the PTR does not have a bolt hold-open, can one be installed?

Obviously I agree that any pinned-mag rifle is one of the worst possible choices for a "go-to/SHTF" gun. ;) Yes, that was my question.

I also agree that lack of a bolt hold-open is an unattractive feature as well.

I believe that FALs have a bolt hold-open.

Regarding a scope, do you mean a real scope, or an optic like a red-dot or trijicon?

Turbinator
07-28-2006, 9:51 AM
I believe that FALs have a bolt hold-open.

The FAL's I've seen do have a bolt hold open feature. There may be some that don't as you just have to remove the bolt catch and the feature's gone.

Turby

Forever-A-Soldier
07-28-2006, 10:45 AM
You CAN lock the bolt back on the PTR91's, by pulling the charging handle back and rotating into a knotch. However, it won't lock back automatically on the last round like an AR or M1A.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/424359.jpg

F.A.S. Out

rorschach
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
When the CETME (the father of the G3) was designed after WWII, the feeling was a bolt catch was something else to go wrong, and would hamper reliability. I think its kinda ironic that with all the neat innovations incorporated into these rifles, like fluted chambers, roller-locked delayed blowback etc, that they dont have a last-shot hold open. Most countries that use G3's load up the mags so the last few rounds fired are tracers. The operator then knows its almost time to swap mags.

BTW FAS thats a fine looking rifle. I have one exactly like it, but have since mounted a collapsible stock. I also ordered a wide handguard, but I ordered one for a G3, and had to send it back cause it was too long. Im currently waiting for my HK33 handguard that will fit the K model from top notch as well. I also plan to send it to IGF to have the paddle mag release installed.

Forever-A-Soldier
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Here's a comparison photo of the size of my PTR91K and M1A Scout together. As you can see the PTR91K is just a bit shorter, but not much.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/424361.jpg

F.A.S. Out

DrjonesUSA
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the great pic!

And the "K" has a shorter barrel than the standard PTR, right?

What is the bbl length of the K? Looks to be same as the Scout at 18", correct?

Forever-A-Soldier
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
The PTR91K has a 16" barrel, the M1A Scout, 18" barrel.

F.A.S Out