PDA

View Full Version : Shooting steel case ammo - Tulammo 9mm

BearArms
12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
So I was just at Wal-Mart and checked out what kind of ammo they had in stock. They were cleaned out of .45, .40 and had some boxes of Remington 9mm but it was ~$13.50/50 rounds, which is a little much. Then as I was leaving I saw they had a ton of 9mm for ~$9.00/50 rounds. I grabbed 4 boxes and was about to buy them then read "STEEL CASE" on the box and put them back. It was "Tulammo" brand steel case 9mm. Is it bad to shoot this? I've heard it can damage the extractor as it's harder and someone also said that if you switch between steel and brass it can muck up the inside of the barrel?? Not sure if there's any truth to the second statement.

Is it worth the savings to shoot steel case? What are the risks? Any pro's? I dont reload so that is not an issue. It'd be shot out of a S&W M&P.

Anchors
12-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Steel case is fine if the range will let you shoot it.
If you somehow manage to break your M&P with steel case the savings will have off-set the cost by the time that happens.

iareConfusE
12-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Steel case is fine. Stop worrying about a mild steel case ruining your gun. The ammo might be a little dirtier than the more expensive quality ammo, but it shouldn't break your gun.

I need to get me some brown bear.

BearArms
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Is Tulammo steel case as "accurate" as say Winchester white box brass? That's what I typically buy, it's about $21/100 rounds at Walmart or $12-13/50 rounds.

jonnybuff4life
12-22-2010, 10:55 PM
i bought some 223 tulammo from walmart for 4.97 for 20rds.hella cheap to me but they say its not good to shoot?and its dirty.idk i think im goin to try them out and see how it goes

iareConfusE
12-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Is Tulammo steel case as "accurate" as say Winchester white box brass? That's what I typically buy, it's about $21/100 rounds at Walmart or $12-13/50 rounds.

It's probably not as accurate, but I highly doubt anyone here is a good enough shooter to discern that slight deviation. It probably is dirtier than your WWB, but I'm sure it goes bang and sends a bullet downrange.

hollowpoint
12-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I will buy tula from time to time but prefer to spend the extra on winchester WB, Remington UMC or Federal for target ammo. I shoot 9mm, 40S&W, .45 & .223 (G23, S&W-M&P9, 1911 & AR) and always experience a failure to fire or failure to feed most often with tula. Another thing to consider is most ranges don't allow steel case ammo. I'm not hating on Tula because again I will buy some from time to time but it's usually the ammo that gives me that random hick-up and therefore I don't hesitate to spend the extra $2.00 or so when I can.

stitchnicklas
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
i plan on buying some soon to try out,this way i can figure out my ammo buys for next year..

Turo
12-23-2010, 1:04 AM
Never had a problem with Tula Ammo. Fired almost a thousand of them out of my dad's AR and a few hundred of them out of my Glock in 40S&W and no problems whatsoever. They are a little dirtier than some of the brass cased ammo in the AR, but it's hard to tell if it's dirtier in my glock.

Don the savage
12-23-2010, 1:09 AM

I've never heard anyone call Winchester white box accurate. So I'm going to bet the Warsaw-pac ammo is going to be fine.

sequoia_nomad
12-23-2010, 7:21 AM
They should be ok. I avoid them because they are non-reloadable.

shooterdude
12-23-2010, 7:35 AM
I have shot thousands of rounds of Russian steel case ammo in all my guns including by Beretta 92 and never had an issue. If its cheap and plink-able then use it. People who turn a nose up at this stuff have never used it. I don't think it's any dirtier than WWB or any other cheap American ammo.

So I was just at Wal-Mart and checked out what kind of ammo they had in stock. They were cleaned out of .45, .40 and had some boxes of Remington 9mm but it was ~$13.50/50 rounds, which is a little much. Then as I was leaving I saw they had a ton of 9mm for ~$9.00/50 rounds. I grabbed 4 boxes and was about to buy them then read "STEEL CASE" on the box and put them back. It was "Tulammo" brand steel case 9mm. Is it bad to shoot this? I've heard it can damage the extractor as it's harder and someone also said that if you switch between steel and brass it can muck up the inside of the barrel?? Not sure if there's any truth to the second statement.

Is it worth the savings to shoot steel case? What are the risks? Any pro's? I dont reload so that is not an issue. It'd be shot out of a S&W M&P.

morrcarr67
12-23-2010, 7:51 AM
I've shot almost all of the European ammo; Tula, S&B, Fiocchi, Brown & Silver Bear, Polish Surplus, Yugo Surplus, Egyptian Surplus, surplus that I have idea where it came from. I'm still here and so are my guns. Get what ever you want for plinking but make sure you get good quality for HD. :D

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 9:43 AM
I've got about 2,000 rds. of Tula/Wolf through my Glock 34 without issue. It's cheap stuff, but it shoots well and gets the job done!

If you somehow manage to break your M&P with steel case the savings will have off-set the cost by the time that happens.

Exactly. A moot argument.

Bill Steele
12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I have never shot Tula. A guy I know who is an avid bench rest shooter and just finished an AR build bought some Tula. We always chat when we see each other at a range we both frequent (which seems to be just about every time I am there).

He was very disappointed with the accuracy of the .223 Tula he tried in his AR. He is a pretty good shooter so maybe his standards are a little higher than the average plinker.

I have no idea how this would relate to their handgun ammo, but thought I would share my one data point.

As far as it harming the gun, I would be surprised at this being correct. Many ranges do not allow "magnetic" ammo.

paul0660
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I shoot commie ammo out of commie guns, because they are designed for it.

One thing, if you buy a batch of ANY ammo, test it out before stockpiling it, even if you have to break the seal on a tin. I have had a thousand rounds of Wolf 9x18 of which a majority would not fire, and many of the rest had pierced primers. SG took it back, including the shipping.

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
He was very disappointed with the accuracy of the .223 Tula he tried in his AR. He is a pretty good shooter so maybe his standards are a little higher than the average plinker.

What was he expecting out of out 20/rd ammo?

One thing, if you buy a batch of ANY ammo, test it out before stockpiling it, even if you have to break the seal on a tin. I have had a thousand rounds of Wolf 9x18 of which a majority would not fire, and many of the rest had pierced primers. SG took it back, including the shipping.

Wow! Wolf? That surprises me. I would maybe expect that from some old surplus, but I've never heard of that from Wolf before.

BruceR
12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Since I expect to keep some "investment grade" ammo around for a long time, I'm reluctant to buy any steel due to a possibility of corrosion. It's all brass for me . . .

ptgarcia
12-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Why don't many ranges allow the steel cased ammo?

paul0660
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I've never heard of that from Wolf before.

Nor had I. I have shot many rounds of x39 without a problem. Sportsman's Guide didn't whimper a bit when I called them up, I suspect the 9x18 problem was an old story to them. Important to highlight that this was not a 1 to 5% failure rate or something similar. This was more than half the rounds, tried out in three pistols, two PA63s, and a Cz 82, all of which shot other ammo without a problem. One pierced primer bent the firing pin on one of the 63s.

ZX-10R
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Go shoot South African .308 and go shoot Tula .308...Big difference in accuracy and as a result groups.

I only shoot steel in my WASR. My M&P gets brass...I would like to compare it with steel though so I will try.

J.D.Allen
12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
This is why I shoot a ruger. I could use cases made out of brick and my p-94 wouldn't flinch. :cool2:

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Why don't many ranges allow the steel cased ammo?

For the ranges that pick up the brass to reload or sell the brass. It's a lot easier for them to just sweep up a ton of brass and clump them together, than it is to sort out brass, aluminum, and steel cases.

famas619
12-23-2010, 3:18 PM
I have fired 9mm, .40, and .223 TulAmmo from wallmart. No problems out of my AR, or Glock 23. I sold my Sig P229, 9mm, but it ate up the ammo with no problems also.

chesterthehero
12-23-2010, 3:26 PM
ive had less problems with tula than i have with WWB... if you reload its not worth the $1 savings since you lose out on the brass.. but if you dont reload then shoot the crap out of it..

fennecfrank
12-23-2010, 5:15 PM
your barrel/slide are made of steel.......

and you're shooting ammos with steel casing?

what happens when steel goes against steel? steel against steel, definitely ruins your gun.

shoot brass or aluminum.....if you treasure your gun

Turo
12-23-2010, 5:20 PM

what happens when steel goes against steel? steel against steel, definitely ruins your gun.

You're forgetting that not all steel is the same hardness. The steel used in Wolf/Tula ammo is almost as soft as the brass used in other ammo. The steel that the barrel and chamber are made of is specifically hardened to be resistant to other metals rubbing up against them.

Using steel cased ammo is not going to ruin your gun.

jackandblood
12-23-2010, 7:29 PM
Range rules. Befriend your range master (easy when my local is chill and professional simultaneously). Said range says no steel, but I've seen plenty of wolf cases.

iareConfusE
12-23-2010, 7:35 PM

So a steel frame mated to a steel slide = broken gun. Therefore all steel guns are fundamentally flawed and are meant to break really soon, right?

gwl
12-23-2010, 8:33 PM
I personally DO NOT shoot steel case ammo. I almost had an bad experience with steel case ammo about ten years ago. It had nothing to do with the casing but I had several (more than 10) squib loads out of 100 rounds.

So now I just stick with brass or aluminum cased ammo. Just personal preference but as posted by other, you might want to check with your local range if they even allow steel cased ammo.

hybridatsun350
12-23-2010, 9:16 PM

Excellent logic! You must be an engineer! :p

Turo
12-23-2010, 9:21 PM
Excellent logic! You must be an engineer! :p

Hey! Watch what you say about us engineers! Some of us get our feelings hurt! :D :p

JanG
12-23-2010, 11:20 PM
i love shooting steel case ammo, other people don't look at me funny for not picking up my brass (to reload, which i don't)

hawk81
12-31-2010, 4:15 AM
You are good to go. Hell I even reload some steel case ammo, such as .45 acp and .223.

magic32
12-31-2010, 6:25 AM
This is why I shoot a ruger. I could use cases made out of brick and my p-94 wouldn't flinch. :cool2:

+1 my p95 shoots anything.:62:

Rob454
12-31-2010, 7:54 AM
I prefer to shoot steel case over brass. I figure if my gun can handle seel case with ease brass should be a cake walk. I go as far as loading mixed metal in my guns to see how they perform. My ruger will eat steel brass and aluminum mixed in the same mag.
ive never bee afraid of shooting steel case ammo. And Ive shot it out of my ruger for 20 years or so and never had a problem and nothing ever broke.

Im gonna go buy some 9mm today

Matt3989
12-31-2010, 8:08 AM
I've shot the tulammo out of my glock without any problems. I've even shot a mixture of steel and brass in the same magazine

shooterdude
12-31-2010, 9:54 AM

Do you have first hand experience of a ruined gun?

I have thousands of rounds of first hand experience shooting Wolf in my Beretta 92 and CZ-75 and it works fine all the time and no signs of damage expect the paper I was shooting at.

Why you be hatin' on Russian ammo?