PDA

View Full Version : Armscor M1600

Esquire
12-22-2010, 9:04 PM
I'm thinking about buying Armscor M1600 22lr. The price is $160. It looks like this:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/10975144/M1600.jpg

Let me preempt suggestions like "get a Marlin 60 or 10/22" - I already own a Marlin 60 (Deluxe edition) and have owned several 10/22. I almost went for a stainless 10/22 at Turners for $219, then I came across Armscor M1600. I read a number of reviews by those who actually owned Armscor M1600, and they were by and large happy with it, said it is a reliable rifle. I did research into Armscor, and by all accounts they seem a reputable company, maker of popular RIA 1911 series.

I'm drawn to its looks even though it does not bear exacting resemblance to M-16. I have M4 in 5.56 already and I'm in the market for M-16 style. Big 5 is selling Umarex M-16 style 22lr for $399, and that's way over my price range right now. Plus, I had Umarex M-4 before, and would rather try a different brand.

If you own or have owned M1600, please post up your experience/opinion.

Eat Dirt
12-22-2010, 9:25 PM
A bud of mine picked one of these up just a few months ago
It Was in terrible shape/ Finish on the metal was just O K
And it sounded like there was gravel in the slide
After I spent a few hours going thru it ...............
Took it out for a spin and was suprised.
Great little shooter
Just don't lose that factory Mag ... They are really hard to come by
You can get a stick mag. to replace ,,, But it just won't look right

jackandblood
12-22-2010, 9:57 PM
I saw one of these at Turner's. It looked neglected and beat up. Did your friend happen to purchase it from Turner's? They may have transferred it from my local Chino Hills to Riverside. It definitely has a unique look about it. Didn't get to handle it, but it looked very light and handy.

Oddly I found it for sale new at Buds under Rock Island Armory handguns. $161
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411541847

Gryff
12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Had one of these as a kid. Poor quality control, lousy finish, jammed regularly. Priced about $160 too high.

TANK
12-22-2010, 11:33 PM
i got one and inserting the mag is a pain untill you figure out the angle needed. they are unique in appearance. my son likes it more than any other one we have. also as far as accuracy with the iron sights we easily hit paper target at 100yrds. so all in all not bad just a little big physically. and i paid 300 for mine. i know, too much but hey everyone impulse buys. just my .02

donw
12-24-2010, 6:48 AM
i have the armscor 20P semi-auto (has the same action as the 1600 but that's all it has in common) i find than mine is highly dependable, it goes 'bang' every time i pull the trigger, but accuracy is nothing to write home about. i think the accuracy factor may be traced to the poor sights (the rear sight in particular) it's very well made. i got mine from a big 5 sporting goods in the San Diego area about 10-12 years ago and have had no regrets about it.

you can get magazines directly from armscor but, as I'm sure you're aware of, they're in the Philippines and you might have some shipping issues over that. I'm certain there is somewhere else the mags can be had that i have seen, and i cannot recall at the moment, though.

JAGGUY
12-24-2010, 8:12 AM
Centerfire Systems sells the mags for both the AK style and the AR.
I have the AK type Armscor and it is reliable as long as it is clean.
Getting to the action to clean is a chore but not hard.

BHP FAN
12-24-2010, 9:39 AM
I had the M16 Armscor and three mags, two of which I bought from CDNN, IIRC. Never jammed, ate everything but Thunderbolt .22's, or Vipers without a hiccup, but got rid of it [and a bunch of other neat stuff] to finance my [then] new Cowboy shooting habit.

Mail Clerk
12-25-2010, 9:30 AM
I'm thinking about buying Armscor M1600 22lr. The price is $160. It looks like this:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/10975144/M1600.jpg

Let me preempt suggestions like "get a Marlin 60 or 10/22" - I already own a Marlin 60 (Deluxe edition) and have owned several 10/22. I almost went for a stainless 10/22 at Turners for $219, then I came across Armscor M1600. I read a number of reviews by those who actually owned Armscor M1600, and they were by and large happy with it, said it is a reliable rifle. I did research into Armscor, and by all accounts they seem a reputable company, maker of popular RIA 1911 series.

I'm drawn to its looks even though it does not bear exacting resemblance to M-16. I have M4 in 5.56 already and I'm in the market for M-16 style. Big 5 is selling Umarex M-16 style 22lr for $399, and that's way over my price range right now. Plus, I had Umarex M-4 before, and would rather try a different brand.

If you own or have owned M1600, please post up your experience/opinion.

Esquire,

For the price the Armscor model M1600 is a fantastic buy. I have one just like the pic you showed and works very reliable strictly as a plinker it's pretty accurate using any high velocity ammo to operate the action. My only draw-back is I never had an opportunity to strip it down and clean the inside. I just ise Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and wash the parts clean. Use a pull throgh to clean the bore and it's celan/ready in about 10 minutes of cleaning.

Ar Big 5 currently they have very much modern M-16 22LR's and would consider those more over the Armscor for $3.99 that's not too bad. If you like variety in your gun battery either one is an excellent addition. Good holiday to ya;)

Mail Clerk

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2010, 9:44 AM
I have not personally owned one but, I did work at a range where we rented one. Obviously, rentals guns get far more use and abuse than most so, I'll pass on our experiences with them. First, for $160, I'd be tempted to buy it if it's in good condition and has at least one mag. Secondly, they are what they are, a cheap semi auto .22lr. Third, they are a real PITA to work on and parts can be hard to find at times. But, for the price, you can't go too wrong. BTW, when we closed, we sold two of them with two mags each for $55 and $65 each. So, beaters can be found at a decent price IF you hunt for them and get lucky!

hawkeye
12-25-2010, 2:53 PM
The only time I've seen mine jam was when I was using crappy ammo or the gun was really dirty and wasn't lubed. Its got a nice trigger and it is definitely fun to shoot.

Dis-assembly is fairly simple and fun for a .22.

Its a good buy in my opinion.

AJAX22
12-25-2010, 5:33 PM
I have a spare folding stock for one somewhere.

Not a horrible gun, fun kids gun if you don't want to turn them loose with a real ar15.

Esquire
12-27-2010, 12:32 AM
After all the positive feedback, I went to Bud's gun shop website to buy the M1600. OUT OF STOCK. :(

BHP FAN
12-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Try the Armscor website, and have your FFL order you up one. Cheaper, anyways.

BHP FAN
12-27-2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.armscor.com.ph/autorifle.htm

scroll about half way down...

also check this out....

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/edited/riflem20c.jpg

chucksolo69
12-28-2010, 9:29 AM
I had the exact same rifle back in the late 1970's except it wasn't Armscor branded, but by an obscure Phillipino company. I have since given it to my brother and it is still going strong despite the fact that the only cleaning it has had has been an occasional cleaning patch down the bore and a solvent soaked patch in the receiver. The gun is accurate and relibale despite its homely appearance. Believe it or not, the gun is one of the most accurate I ever had and I bought it back then for under 80 bucks.

Esquire
12-28-2010, 3:16 PM
http://www.armscor.com.ph/autorifle.htm

scroll about half way down...

also check this out....

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/edited/riflem20c.jpg

I contacted Armscor U.S. office, and they were kind enough to send me a list of distributors. Most of the distributors, however, are wholesale and do not sell to retail customers. I found one, Centerfire systems, that is open to the retail public, but they charge shipping and adult signature fee which adds almost $20 to their price. As an alternative, a local FFL would special order for me, but resulting price is more than I'm willing to pay.

Basically, I'll have to wait until Buds have it for sale again, whenever that may be. $161 is the best deal in town, as far as I can find out.

pullnshoot25
12-28-2010, 3:57 PM
Almost bought one for 100 once. Decided against it. Kind of a weird gun.

Khram
12-28-2010, 4:16 PM
How hard are they to take apart? My Ak version was flimsy and I gave it away. I bought a AR type for $100 once and decided to just give it away as well. Should of taken it to a buyback as an "assault weapon" and got $200.

Theres been a wood stock version languishing unsold at Costa Mesa gun shows for years at $125 because it it s whipped and I thing rear sight broken.

Ajax, does the folding stock kind of more of a collapsible stock like on two rods?

Do regular Armscor mod20 stick mags fit? I think they are basically the same guns.

vega
12-30-2010, 9:31 AM
I had the exact same rifle back in the late 1970's except it wasn't Armscor branded, but by an obscure Phillipino company. ......
That should be Squire Bingham. If you have a SB brand those barrels were imported from Germany.

resident-shooter
12-30-2010, 8:08 PM
TBH, I would stay far away from Armsor anything.

vega
12-30-2010, 8:39 PM

Very enlightening opinion.

RaceDay
12-30-2010, 9:14 PM
I own the AK version. Turners sold them 5 or so years ago and I bought one when it was on sale at the same time I was getting a 10/22 (already paying DROS so what was an extra $180-200?... I fondly remember the things I could do pre-fatherhood...). Anyhow, its a decent gun. Just use high velocity rounds (bulk box) and it should work well. My biggest complaint is the magazine is a PITA to load-- my fingers get scratched up on the feed lips after a couple hundred rounds.

586L-Frame
12-30-2010, 9:29 PM
I had the exact same rifle back in the late 1970's except it wasn't Armscor branded, but by an obscure Phillipino company. I have since given it to my brother and it is still going strong despite the fact that the only cleaning it has had has been an occasional cleaning patch down the bore and a solvent soaked patch in the receiver. The gun is accurate and relibale despite its homely appearance. Believe it or not, the gun is one of the most accurate I ever had and I bought it back then for under 80 bucks.

I purchased one around that timeframe as well at a GEMCO discount store.
It was called a 'Squires-Bingham' if I recall.
I gave it to my son who loves shooting it.
The upper carry handle and rear sight can be removed to install a .22 scope
mount.
586L-Frame

586L-Frame
12-30-2010, 9:35 PM

That's your choice,
But I love my Armscor RIA 1911 Tactical .45acp.
586L-Frame

DLC’s RIA 1911 Tactical with Hogue’s – ls.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09331_DLCsRIA1911TacticalwithHog.jpg

x