PDA

View Full Version : Taurus or Smith and Wesson revolver

justbill5789
12-22-2010, 8:43 PM
I have been thinking about picking up a home defense revolver, which I hope to never ever use. I like a shotgun better, but I may need the pistol in an emergency situation or until I can get my shotgun. Looking at a .357 cal so my wife can use it and she can practice with 38ís. I like the look and cost of the Taurus Tracker and the Smith and Wesson 686 plus. Both are 7 shot stainless steel models. Have not decided on a 4 inch or 6 inch barrel, will make that decision when I can try one out as a rental at the range. The cost between the Taurus and the SW is about $300. My life and my familyís lives are worth that extra cost, but would love input from this forum. Any opinions on either model or on the manufacturers in general?

BadIndianSwamp
12-22-2010, 8:49 PM
I was in the same situation a year ago looking at the same choices. I decided on a Ruger GP100 4". Not that the others are bad...simply my choice based on price, feel ( I shot rentals of the 686 and GP100 at the range), and perceived durability.

Bigtwin
12-22-2010, 8:54 PM
If you know it or not, your question just opened a massive can of worms! There are many that will debate the two companies to the death!
let me be the first to say i have had no problems with my Taurus 66ss, and would trust my life with it based on my findings and uses with this gun!

S.A.
12-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Get the S&W 686+ 4" pre-lock. You can and will find a used gun in very good condition at reasonable price. When you find it don't hesitate buy it.

Mr. Beretta
12-22-2010, 9:03 PM
I was in the same situation a year ago looking at the same choices. I decided on a Ruger GP100 4". Not that the others are bad...simply my choice based on price, feel ( I shot rentals of the 686 and GP100 at the range), and perceived durability.

My choice in order.

Ruger
S&W
Taurus

All will work when called upon.

The Ruger will out last us all.
The S&W has the best resale value.
The Taurus costs less.

Whatever brand you buy, get the 4" barrel.

Good Luck!

drunktank
12-22-2010, 9:04 PM
My family owns an equal amount of Taurus, s&w, an tiger pistols; about 6-7 each. No problems with any of them except the timing got off on a s&w and it got sent to the factory for repair. All pistols get shot on a weekly basis. Many people post that their tauruses are pos's. I have yet to deal with that. Maybe I've been lucky? Stock, I really like the s&w's trigger vs the Taurus in general

justbill5789
12-22-2010, 9:06 PM
I will take a look at the Ruger GP100 too, but I really want a 7 shot. However, I may like the feel of the Ruger and can live with a 6 shot. I know that my question about the manufacturers is a loaded one, pardon the pun, but I do like to get opions. I can always listen to them but elect to ignore them or act on them.

drunktank
12-22-2010, 9:06 PM
Ruger pistols. Not tiger. Stupid autocorrect on my phone hahaha

justbill5789
12-22-2010, 9:10 PM
S.A., was is a pre-lock model? That is a new term to me.

alex45auto
12-22-2010, 9:11 PM
Similar question: Toyota or BMW? Of course BMW (S&W)!!!

chesterthehero
12-22-2010, 9:17 PM
big can o worms... my taurus (go to HD gun) has been flawless.. i only fire it fast as i can double action (just like i would for HD)... ive put around 500 rounds through it without a problem (with the exception of a bad box of WWB with deformed cases, they would not cycle in anything.. that was an ammo problem not a gun problem)...

that said my handmedown s&w has also been flawless.. its 30+ years old and i couldnt begin to guess at a roundcount...

get what fits your hand and feels right..

justbill5789
12-22-2010, 9:24 PM
I also noticed that the Taurus is 28.8 ounces compaired to 40 ounces on the S&W and Ruger. 3/4 of a pound is not much but my wife has to shoot it too. Now I am on a mission to find and rent these, before I buy.

k1dude
12-22-2010, 9:31 PM
I have 4 S&W revolvers and 2 Taurus revolvers. One S&W locked up and had to be repaired by a gunsmith. One Taurus locked up, but was self repaired. All the rest have been flawless. I think both will likely serve you well. You can potentially run into a problem with either.

All my revolvers are more than 10 years old, so I can't speak for the quality of current production weapons and any current problems.

The reputation out there is Ruger and S&W are better weapons than Taurus. But I don't know if the reputation is justified.

S.A.
12-22-2010, 9:33 PM
S.A., was is a pre-lock model? That is a new term to me.

Guns manufactured before agreement between Clinton admin. and S&W did not have manual lock (hole above thumb latch), unnecessary safety feature IMHO. read up on it form your own opinion. Also look up grantcunningham.com(gun smith), read his thoughts on guns. All the best.

nagorb
12-22-2010, 9:47 PM
Guns manufactured before agreement between Clinton admin. and S&W did not have manual lock (hole above thumb latch), unnecessary safety feature IMHO. read up on it form your own opinion. Also look up grantcunningham.com(gun smith), read his thoughts on guns. All the best.

And the quality is better on the pre-locks imo.

I would say Ruger or S&W, I have no experience with Taurus. I went with S&W 686 only b/c it felt better in my hands and I love it.

robcoe
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Either would be ok, I dont particulary like taurus guns but thats based on a friend having a couple of them fail, not personal experience, and most reviews say they are reliable. Here is generaly what would be my ranking for HD pistols in the taurus-S&W 686 price range

1st - Ruger GP100 4 inch or SP101 3 inch, both are tanks, good luck breaking them even if you try. An added benifit to them being overbuilt, the extra weight makes a .38spl round in a GP100 feel like it has lighter recoil than a .22lr in my 22/45, great for getting someone used to guns.

2nd - S&W, more refined then the rugers but still completely reliable.

3rd - Taurus, nice lifetime warrenty if you break it, but I have just heard of to many people using it for me to trust them completely. Still beats harsh language if someone breaks in.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-22-2010, 10:59 PM
S&W all the way IMO they are worth the extra $ every time

1911Operator
12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
id go for the S&W myself. Great quality = great performance. I used to hate Taurus until I read up on them. Many people who get these do not take care of them. They just have no respect of the gun and do not maintain it, then wonder why it failed or broke on them when they needed it. But on the flypside, theres also many Taurus owners that treat their $300 gun like its a $1,500 gun. Just because its cheap dsnt mean it dont need cleannin.

bohoki
12-22-2010, 11:13 PM
that taurus lock scares me i worry if it ever pops out i'm done for

taurus is great but every company can have a lemon

Ron-Solo
12-22-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm a S&W fan, but always liked the Ruger too. The Taurus is an economy version of the S&W. It will be fine if you take good care of it.

There is a lot of personal preference involved. Try to shoot all three if you can. See which one feels best in your hand. As far as the weight difference between the guns, the heavier gun will not kick as hard. Get a 4" barrel on any of them. A 2" or 2 1/2" barrel will kick harder.

Get the best one you can afford, then start saving for the next one.

Canucky
12-22-2010, 11:53 PM
JustBill good luck on your quest. I have a few different revolvers. I think you can't go wrong with the choices in front of you. I would suggest reseaching using a 357 for home defence. From what ive read in a small room discharging it 357 loaded hot, can be quite a exprience. Sorry hopefully someone can explain this better.

Canucky
12-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Also if you can wait and not have to purchase any of youre choices. Look for a speed six/security six ruger. They can be had a reasonable rates. Love my 6inch security six.

sd_shooter
12-23-2010, 7:02 AM
My choice in order.

Ruger
S&W
Taurus

All will work when called upon.

The Ruger will out last us all.
The S&W has the best resale value.
The Taurus costs less.

Whatever brand you buy, get the 4" barrel.

Good Luck!

Must agree with this.

I got the Ruger 6" SS GP100 when it was on sale for $500. You can get the blued version from Turners from $450. (Don't know if they still have this Christmas sale, but you can probably talk them down...)

http://creekridgestudio.com/images/GP100-sm.jpg