PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

45automan
12-22-2010, 8:01 PM
My father in law is a retired LEO and lives out of state. He wants to give me his S&W Terrier in 38 S&W cal. Gun was made in 1951, so it is a C&R handgun.
Can he send it to a local FFL here in California that I choose and have them do an intra-familial transfer to me? Thanks in advance for any info.

jtmkinsd
12-22-2010, 8:30 PM
My father in law is a retired LEO and lives out of state. He wants to give me his S&W Terrier in 38 S&W cal. Gun was made in 1951, so it is a C&R handgun.
Can he send it to a local FFL here in California that I choose and have them do an intra-familial transfer to me? Thanks in advance for any info.

You will have to do a dealer transfer since it's coming in from out of State...so you pay transfer fee, DROS, and wait ten days. All he has to do is box and ship the firearm to your FFL (make sure your FFL knows it's coming and what he/she may require from your father-in-law).

Roster doesn't apply since it's a C&R.

45automan
12-22-2010, 9:25 PM
very much for the info.

morrcarr67
12-23-2010, 7:04 AM

Also, you can have your father send you NEW OFF ROSTER guns via the intra-familial transfer. You will need to find a dealer in your area that understands this rule. You might want to send Pops a lot of money for Christmas. You never now what he might send you for your Birthday! :D