PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith for Browning Hi Power MKIII or help me fix...

gatdammit
12-22-2010, 5:17 PM
Hi guys,

I tried searching but it seems that I couldn't find an answer. I even went straight to Google. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Bay Area (Oakland, Emeryville, Contra Costa, SF) that will work on a Browning Hi Power?

My issue is that I replaced the trigger with a C&S Wide Combat trigger and as a consequence the magazine disconnect removed. I had problems with the trigger reseting for the last round in the magazine.

So I bought a new trigger spring and main hammer spring, and I believe the firing pin spring(?)-- basically bought a C&S spring kit.

I installed the trigger spring and this thing will not reset at all now unless I physically pull the trigger forward.

I'm thinking it's the trigger now. Do I need to polish some surfaces on the C&S trigger? Or just take it to a smith? Anyone have this issue before?

I'm guessing if I put the OEM trigger and springs back minus the disconnect, I'll have my good ol Hi Power back, but for now it's handicapped.

pyromensch
12-22-2010, 6:57 PM
don't know about the smiths in that area, but i would go with the last line you typed.

kris&bela
12-22-2010, 7:11 PM
Just double check your work....I installed one back in 93 and no problem at all up to now....I used a 26 lbs mainspring-anything lighter that that would not hit your primer deep enough.Good luck.

dfletcher
12-22-2010, 8:11 PM
Hi guys,

I tried searching but it seems that I couldn't find an answer. I even went straight to Google. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Bay Area (Oakland, Emeryville, Contra Costa, SF) that will work on a Browning Hi Power?

My issue is that I replaced the trigger with a C&S Wide Combat trigger and as a consequence the magazine disconnect removed. I had problems with the trigger reseting for the last round in the magazine.

So I bought a new trigger spring and main hammer spring, and I believe the firing pin spring(?)-- basically bought a C&S spring kit.

I installed the trigger spring and this thing will not reset at all now unless I physically pull the trigger forward.

I'm thinking it's the trigger now. Do I need to polish some surfaces on the C&S trigger? Or just take it to a smith? Anyone have this issue before?

I'm guessing if I put the OEM trigger and springs back minus the disconnect, I'll have my good ol Hi Power back, but for now it's handicapped.

Take it to Frank Tabor on El Camino in San Bruno. It sounds like a minor problem, he may even be able to tell you what's wrong with it just by taking a peek at it. I've seen folks walk in with "this gun won't work" and if it's a simple fix he'll duck out back for 30 seconds, return with a fixed gun.

If you're absolutely certain the BHP wasn't reassembled incorrectly (it sounds like the trigger return spring was not properly reinstalled) and you want the C & S trigger installed, you might help him get a head start by removing the old, that way all he has to do is install the new.

Just a suggestion, bring the mag disconnect parts (pad & spring) with you. I'm just venturing a guess, be he may be hesitant about reassembling the gun without the mag disconnect. I'm not making a judgement on whether or not it should be, just saying bring the parts in case.

Pryde
12-22-2010, 8:17 PM
It is a pretty well known fact about the BHP that removing the mag disconnect will cause you to no longer be able to feel your trigger reset. This however is the first case I have heard of the trigger plain not resetting.

gatdammit
12-24-2010, 2:44 AM
Ok thanks, I'm pretty sure I installed the trigger spring correctly, but not 100%. It seems like it only goes in one way. Tabor's in San Bruno huh? I've heard of it never been there though. I used to work down there, but now I'm up in Petaluma... anyone up that way?

B Strong
12-24-2010, 4:39 AM
+1 for Frank.

Not to slam the op, but imo this is an example of why individuals without intimate knowledge of the mechanical aspects of their piece shouldn't attempt "gunsmithing" at home.

In this case, it's a minor issue, but guys often times get a DVD, a set of hammer and sear stones, a little elbow grease and they get an NFA 1911.

Please, everybody do yourselves a favor and leave internal work to the pros unless you know the innards and how they work together like the back of your hand.

gatdammit
12-24-2010, 7:42 PM
^ I guess I shouldn't take any offense... although my field isn't in gun smithing I am mechanically inclined. I agree that I could have missed something, hence the post and request for recommendations. And I guess the definition of gun smithing would also be a factor in your comment. I figured if there's some polishing to be done, then that's where the gunsmith will have to come in.

If I had left the internal work to all the pros, then I wouldn't have ever learned anything about any of my guns at all.

Update: put my old trigger back in the same as I found it, everything is back to normal. I guess it wasn't me after all. I'll have to really look into what's going on with this C&S trigger. But thanks for the suggestion on Frank.