PDA

View Full Version : 1911 frame and slide compatibility

1911Operator
12-22-2010, 4:42 PM
I have a 1911 Operator full size, with the regular length rail/dust cover. Im thinking of getting another slide for it. The purpose of the short slide that I want is to have on the gun for HD purposes (easier to maneuver and lighter), and the stock slide I will put some long range sights, match barrel, match bushing and shot it at the range. What is the shortest size slide that my 1911 will accept on its government frame?

sti2011
12-22-2010, 5:01 PM
Commander length slides

M. D. Van Norman
12-22-2010, 6:29 PM
The shortest slide you can take without modifying the frame is a Government slide. Sorry.

tiko
12-22-2010, 6:37 PM
4" or 4.25" (commander).

MicronuT
12-22-2010, 6:42 PM
You can fit a commander slide I believe, but mite have to cut the frame back a little.

Mite not be feasable to put govt slide back on. I have to agree w mdv, gona have only one option here. Should leave it the way it iis. m

MA2
12-22-2010, 7:07 PM
Even if any shorter slide fits, I would think it would be better (money wise...well unless someone is going to sell a complete upper for cheap) just to get a polymer at about $500 for HD.
Slide, barrel,sights and the other small parts, and of course don't forget gunsmith's pay to fit the slide & barrel will be over.
The XD's has the same grip angle as the 1911's and if you wait for the Turners ad, the .45's pop up at $500 often.

I don't know, but I have a springfield micro...if you want , I will see if it fits...lmk.

RickD427
12-22-2010, 7:33 PM
Stay with the Government length slide.

A Commander slide will fit onto the frame, but to function correctly, you'll have to trim the rails. The dust cover is longer on the Government frame. It will look funky with Commander slide, but the effect is cosmetic.

Once you've trimmed the rails for the Commander slide, it will no longer work properly with the Government slide.

1911Operator
12-22-2010, 8:31 PM
dang! that sux, guess ill just get a commander 1911 or XD service model :rolleyes:

jessegpresley
12-22-2010, 9:02 PM
I have a 1911 Operator full size, with the regular length rail/dust cover. Im thinking of getting another slide for it. The purpose of the short slide that I want is to have on the gun for HD purposes (easier to maneuver and lighter)

The Commander is 4 1/4", which is a whopping 3/4" shorter than a regular Gov't slide. You really need that extra 3/4" to maneuver in your home?

Your second reason is that it will be lighter. If it's for HD why does it matter that it weighs a few ounces more/less? The shorter Commander slide was to make it easier to carry concealed.

This has to be one of the more bizarre posts I've seen here in awhile.

MicronuT
12-22-2010, 9:25 PM
The Commander is 4 1/4", which is a whopping 3/4" shorter than a regular Gov't slide. You really need that extra 3/4" to maneuver in your home?

Your second reason is that it will be lighter. If it's for HD why does it matter that it weighs a few ounces more/less? The shorter Commander slide was to make it easier to carry concealed.

true, but it sounds like hes just trying to talk himself out of not having two guns..........

1911Operator
12-22-2010, 9:38 PM

how is it that bizarre? why have 2 different guns when you can have one? I want long range sights on my full size slide and night sights on my commander slide. common sense, i mean who wants long range sights on their HD gun? I dont get how what im asking is bizarre? with 2 different uppers on my 1911, it will give me the same feel since its the same frame. btw, its my own preference, meaning I can have what ever I want and theres no right or wrong since its MY preference on MY gun. You dont know how big my night stand is so you wouldnt know how much of a difference 3/4" would make.

jessegpresley
12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
how is it that bizarre? why have 2 different guns when you can have one? I want long range sights on my full size slide and night sights on my commander slide. common sense, i mean who wants long range sights on their HD gun? I dont get how what im asking is bizarre? with 2 different uppers on my 1911, it will give me the same feel since its the same frame. btw, its my own preference, meaning I can have what ever I want and theres no right or wrong since its MY preference on MY gun. You dont know how big my night stand is so you wouldnt know how much of a difference 3/4" would make.

Sorry, I didn't know you lived in a doll house. Say hi to Skipper for me.

1911Operator
12-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't know you lived in a doll house. Say hi to Skipper for me.

sorry, i dint know u played with dolls.

JTROKS
12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
A commander slide will not work, you'll have a gap at the end of the frame's dust cover and slides' Recoil Spring Guide Plug hole. Oops - that's commander frame w/ govt slide. There will still be an unpleasant look with the slide's front profile cut not matching the dust cover edge of the frame. You can still get what you want if you buy a Government slide and have it cut to commander length. It has been done many times, but the cost of making your 1911 equipped with 2 uppers will require some gunsmithing and the cost just a couple of bills cheaper than just buying a commander length 1911.

The slide will cost about $220, having it milled to commander length, dovetail front sight and Novak cut rear will be around $100 to $150. Barrel - $150, extractor/firing pin/fp stop, guide rod, springs, rear sight and front sight about $150. And you still have to get it finished to match your frame. I'm not sure how much customizing you want to do with it, you can do the math.

jessegpresley
12-23-2010, 1:32 AM
I want long range sights on my full size slide and night sights on my commander slide. common sense, i mean who wants long range sights on their HD gun?

What are "long range sights" for a 1911? Tangent sights?

I've read about people wanting shorter shotguns or rifles for HD use, but you're the first I've seen who wants a shorter handgun! I'd want a bigger, heavier handgun. Absorb recoil better, more accurate, quicker follow up shots. How is having a 6 ounce lighter gun gonna be better for HD? Must be an Operator thang. :shrug:

sti2011
12-23-2010, 5:58 AM
Check STI slide, they sell commander lenght slides that would fit the full size frame and don't need to cut anything. You can buy it with sights already milled at the factory too.

1911Operator
12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Check STI slide, they sell commander lenght slides that would fit the full size frame and don't need to cut anything. You can buy it with sights already milled at the factory too.

cool! thanks for the tip. ill check em out.

Sam
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Your nightstand will fit a commander but not a gov't slide? Get two gov't guns. One for the range and one for the home.

wamphyri13
12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
It's not what you wanted or asked for, but the govt frame can be used with govt. and long slide. You can upsize, but not downsize.
Apparently your question p*ssed of Mr. Presley. Don't worry about it. There's always one negative. That's how you get the law of averages.
Ryan

wamphyri13
12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Your nightstand will fit a commander but not a gov't slide? Get two gov't guns. One for the range and one for the home.

I think he was being facetious.
Ryan

tozan
12-23-2010, 1:19 PM
I was thinking of getting a conversion for my 1911 but after thinking about the hassle of converting back and forth, keeping up with extra parts laying around and the total cost of it all, it just didn’t make sense. I can buy a new gun that’s better then a conversion will be for about the same price.

At the range I can shoot both guns without worrying about losing parts while swapping back and forth while standing in dirt or grass. Both guns can be modified to suit their needs better and there is no compromise plus I get to have two guns… Get it? Two guns are better than one… Always…..