PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Sentinel news article on AW's!

Veritas_223
07-24-2006, 9:24 AM
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/July/23/local/stories/03local.htm

M1A Rifleman
07-24-2006, 9:39 AM
Another mis-informed lib. Flamethrowers are not assault weapons and they were not recently banned - they are classified differently as are machine guns and have never been available to the surfs of California.

VeryCoolCat
07-24-2006, 9:51 AM
He generally votes Democratic or Green and said he could do without the political display or, for that matter, the "zealots" camped out in full combat fatigues by vintage military vehicles in the parking lot.

I kinda agree with that, I once went to the range and there was this overweight guy (a good 250lbs, and not very tall) shooting the ranges rented handguns in camo fatigues and a army ranger style hat wearing what looked liked expensive "Jordan" sneakers. Couch Ninja right there.

These kind of people make us gun owners look bad. People think they are crazy and therefore every gun owner is crazy. Same reasoning some people here have with hispanic immigrants.

I believe this article was pretty neutral. Maybe even favored us gun owners at some point.

At least after the brady campaign had their comments placed, they added this to the end of their BS.
Christopher Koper of the University of Pennsylvania's Jerry Lee Center of Criminology says assault weapons constitute a very small percent of gun-related violent crime. Their expense and portability makes them a rare commodity among criminals, he says.

taloft
07-24-2006, 9:55 AM
"My gut reaction is, why do people need to do this?" said Ellyne Bell, field director for the Brady Campaign in California, speaking of machine gun shoots like the one at Mustang Range. "If you are exposed to that kind of thing at 5, 7 and 15, how much more will you need to get your fix when you are 21?"

That's right, go straight to the person who wouldn't be caught dead at a shooting event to get an opinion. I love how they likened us to drug addicts.:mad:

I do love the fact that someone was putting holes in barney dolls.:D

Bling Bling 2.0
07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
I kinda agree with that, I once went to the range and there was this overweight guy (a good 250lbs, and not very tall) shooting the ranges rented handguns in camo fatigues and a army ranger style hat wearing what looked liked expensive "Jordan" sneakers. Couch Ninja right there.

These kind of people make us gun owners look bad. People think they are crazy and therefore every gun owner is crazy. Same reasoning some people here have with hispanic immigrants.

There definitely are a few that kinda freak me out. I saw some pictures of some shoots out on the east coast where people wear real Nazi uniforms... That's a little creepy if you ask me...

The only place I would wear camo is when I go paintballing, but I'm actually using it.

Sadly, I do feel that I need to keep my firearms pics fairly sheltered here at work. Although I'm of the school that believes to keep my guns a secret to most people I talk to anyway. Not for political backlash, but because I'm a "speak softly and carry a big stick" kinda guy.

eckerph
07-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Calguns should have an OLL lower shoot and invite all the media, have it on memorial day weekend or something so we can get the max number of people.

Ryoushi
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Guns are very trendy in Santa Cruz all of a sudden. You know, forbidden fruit and all. Also see Bullseye! (http://ryoushisblues.blogspot.com/2006/03/bullseye.html)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-66981268162751_1904_378433

xrMike
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what to think about that article.

I can say the guy they were writing about sounded like a real Newby though...

leelaw
07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Calguns should have an OLL lower shoot and invite all the media, have it on memorial day weekend or something so we can get the max number of people.

If that happens, I don't know if I'd bring my toys there. It's be too much of an opportunity for some hastling by the DOJ over the rifles and definition of "fixed", and the media, who would love to spin it anyways, would kill to get some footage of some evil militia redneck gun freaks getting hauled off or questioned by the DOJ because of their military-style semi-automatic, black, evil, assault weapons.

DRH
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Another mis-informed lib. Flamethrowers are not assault weapons and they were not recently banned - they are classified differently as are machine guns and have never been available to the surfs of California.
Actually flame throwers were legal in California up until about 2 years ago, when the state passed legislation to require a fire marshall permit to possess and use. Although they remove them from being destructive devices in this bill, the definition of destructive device (PC12301) never included them to begin with.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1781&sess=PREV&house=B&author=knight

eckerph
07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Where would the best area to hold such a shoot ?

where is a location central to all and not too crazy with LEO'S

Not sure, maybe somewhere in the desert?

If that happens, I don't know if I'd bring my toys there. It's be too much of an opportunity for some hastling by the DOJ over the rifles and definition of "fixed", and the media, who would love to spin it anyways, would kill to get some footage of some evil militia redneck gun freaks getting hauled off or questioned by the DOJ because of their military-style semi-automatic, black, evil, assault weapons.

Why would you be worried? You're not doing anything illegal. The trick is to find gun friendly media, When i lived in Fresno there was a pro gun radio guy, his name was Tony Lee and i believe the station he worked for was KMJ580 news radio I also think there is more pro gun supporters in Cali than people think.

grammaton76
07-24-2006, 1:06 PM
I know a great spot but its very close to a newly built prison like 1 mile or so.

...so what you're saying, is that someone's going to arrange for "moving target practice" (aka jailbreak) during the shoot so that Calguns can help CA reduce its inmate population? :)

adamsreeftank
07-24-2006, 4:28 PM
There definitely are a few that kinda freak me out. I saw some pictures of some shoots out on the east coast where people wear real Nazi uniforms... That's a little creepy if you ask me...

Whether they are shooting guns or not, a bunch of guys walking around in Nazi uniforms is WAY WAY creepy.

CalNRA
07-24-2006, 5:17 PM
Whether they are shooting guns or not, a bunch of guys walking around in Nazi uniforms is WAY WAY creepy.

I ran into a few of those types in Chico of all places. it was an free outdoor range that a friend of mine always goes to. We were all shooting out pistols, rifles and shot guns when a few, um, gents in brown uniforms showed up. looks were exchanged, they glanced at out holstered 1911s and 12 GA shotguns and decided to be civil and shot their walther P38s(I'm not making this stuff up) on the other end of the range.

Amazing how people can get along when everyone knows each other is packing. They weren't bad shots, but I was a little dissapointed my granddad wasn't there or he would have put these guys under citizen's arrest for treason.

CalNRA
07-24-2006, 5:20 PM
I also think there is more pro gun supporters in Cali than people think.

that may be true, but when we expect 0 supporters, and there are 20,000, no matter how right you statement is true we are still 15 million short of voters needed to repeal the laws in place.

socalguns
07-24-2006, 9:30 PM

Don't you mean couch ranger?

Oh those people. I hear they eat ice cream too, better lookout :rolleyes:

Bling Bling 2.0
07-25-2006, 7:47 AM
I ran into a few of those types in Chico of all places. it was an free outdoor range that a friend of mine always goes to. We were all shooting out pistols, rifles and shot guns when a few, um, gents in brown uniforms showed up. looks were exchanged, they glanced at out holstered 1911s and 12 GA shotguns and decided to be civil and shot their walther P38s(I'm not making this stuff up) on the other end of the range.

Amazing how people can get along when everyone knows each other is packing. They weren't bad shots, but I was a little dissapointed my granddad wasn't there or he would have put these guys under citizen's arrest for treason.

Do you think they were wannabe's, war re-entactment people, or real CA Nazi's? I've heard of Nazi bars in S. Korea where people walk around in Nazi uniforms for no reason (or at least no political reason) it seems. They aren't Nazi's, just looking for the latest trend...

I don't really understand the war re-enactment crowd. I'm a big fan of history but I feel that any war is not something you want to keep re-enacting. Learn from it, but I think it's in poor taste to celebrate it. I saw some civil war re-enactment people in the hills one time up by Frazier Park. Thinking to my self, the dead brush and steep hillsides look "just" like the rolling green hills of West Virginia...

CSkyhawk72
07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
"You want to be more around it, but you have to be careful about who you tell about your guns here in Santa Cruz County," said Newby

... or the jackbooted thugs from UC Santa Cruz might come getcha... :eek:

:D

Bling Bling 2.0
07-25-2006, 10:36 AM
... or the jackbooted thugs from UC Santa Cruz might come getcha... :eek:

:D

Heheh when I was at UCSC my friends girlfriend did a whole photo story on my guns. Got some really cool pics to keep even. She went to an NRA meeting too for research on her project.