PDA

View Full Version : Springfield GI Champion vs. ?

tacticalcity
12-22-2010, 2:51 PM
What other companies make a Champion/Commander size 1911 in a milspec configuration in a similar price bracket and are on the California approved list? These are running $499-$505 on GunBroker.com right now.

I was going to get a Kimber Pro Carry. But I cannot afford it right now. Plus I can get wilson combat parts at enough of a discount that it is hard to justify not starting off with a GI and treating it like a project gun.

Going with a midsize 1911 because it will be a CCW gun. Also, I already ordered a comm/officer size dovetail from wilson combat, and some other parts, so I am already locked into this path.

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 3:58 PM
RIA break her in just right, In my opinion I would not want to spend to much on a CCW gun in case I ever had to use it (you wont see that gun for quite some time) . I have switched back and forth between carry guns. When it gets cold snowing/raining ( on our ranch) I usually carry OWB instead of IWB but I'll either carry a glock 17 or my grandfathers old 1911 just a standard GI he gave me... I carry a glock 26 in the warm weather sometimes a 1911 since the frame is a bit slimmer. Also I posted this in your other thread but don't know if you saw it. http://grayguns.com/physics-and-short-45-caliber-pistols-a-discussion/
This ^^^ made me stick to full size that and doing some research.

tacticalcity
12-22-2010, 4:05 PM
I read it. Can't help it. Got a bur up my rear for the mid-size. It definately won't be my last handgun. If I like it, it will be one of many. If I don't it will get sold off.

I only saw one Midsize RIA on Gunbroker right now and they want $499 for it, the same as the Springfield GI. Which leads to me believe I would be better off with the Springfield. Am I wrong?

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 4:25 PM
In my opinion, No you are not better of going with the springfield, The park job might be a bit nicer thats about it... Do some research on the RIA's. Many people complain about their cast frames but their frames are cast out of quality steel not pot metal. I know many people with 1911's on cast frames like caspians,sti spartans or what have you (can't remember what other brands are cast someone correct me if I'm wrong) with some VERY high round counts on them.

What people seem to lose in the whole cast vs. stock removal methods is that that "big piece of bar stock" is essentially a cast in rectangle form. It is subject to the same potential air bubbles that a frame-shaped cast is.In fact, a properly cast frame is stronger than a stock removal frame because it does not have stress points at the angles.If you know an engineer, ask them.

People who believe that a quality cast frame is in any way inferior simply don't understand the facts.

The only reason IMO to go with a forged frame over cast is because a forged frame will usually hold a better finish or at least finish out nicer. Do a little more research and I'm sure you can find the RIA commander for a bit cheaper. I have also seen more quality control issues with the springfield base line of 1911's than most others FWIW. Also I think RIA switched over to forging their frames now anyways so IMO you can't really lose and your getting a quality handgun.

Oh yeah and edit to add, If there is anyone else besides the good ole USA who knows how to make a 1911 it's the fillipinos.

SheepDogHog
12-22-2010, 4:49 PM
In my opinion I would not want to spend to much on a CCW gun in case I ever had to use it .

I am confused by this.

tacticalcity
12-22-2010, 4:58 PM
If you are involved in a shooting the police will take your gun until they finish their investigation. It takes a very, very long time. They do it regardless of whether or not you were in the right or in the wrong. It is proceedure. There are horror stories about guns not being returned in the same condition, or guns going missing and people having to fight like crazy to get money for them when that happens.

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 4:59 PM
What are you confused about? I carry a glock for the most part... cheap in the 500 bucks range. I don't necessarily believe that spending 1500 dollars on a pistol is going to get you a better operating pistol (unless you shoot it better). If you end up having to use you're weapon you will not see that weapon for some time to come. This is why I use my 300 dollar shotgun for home defense and not my 1700 dollar ar15... Also why I carry a glock 26 over a springfield TRP (if I was rich however this would not be a issue)

tacticalcity
12-22-2010, 5:09 PM
He just did not know that they take it from you and keep for a long time during the investigation. Which on its own would not be so bad, but they don't treat your property the way you would. So stuff can get damaged or even lost and getting them to pay for that is next to impossible.

SheepDogHog
12-22-2010, 5:34 PM
I could care less if they confiscate my weapon, as long as it is accurate and reliable when it needed to be. I'm not saying all expensive guns are reliable and all cheaper ones aren't, but you know what I mean. Usually you get what you pay for. Which is why I carry a 1911 over an XD (plus 1911 conceals a bit better). Oh sorry for jackin you're thread haha. Was just curious.

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 5:50 PM
If you get what you pay for is the reason you carry a 1911 over a XD you're doing it for the wrong reason. A 500 dollar glock will usually be more reliable than a run of the mill 1911 (Generally speaking, Not always the case) but it does not mean it will work for everyone. It's my personal opinion that I'm not going to spend 1500 bucks on a defensive pistol just so it can have a bunch of stuff thats not needed. Since in the off chance I will need to use it, It will be gone for quite some time afterwards. Also I'm not going to carry a POS just because it conceals good and is 1200 bucks...

Cyc Wid It
12-22-2010, 5:54 PM
RIA frames can damage tools etc. if you're going to be doing extensive work on it. I'd take SA CS over RIA too, but performance wise they should be similar out of the box.

Canucky
12-22-2010, 5:56 PM
Sheep you couldn't care if they took youre property and maybe never got it back? Well we are still waiting word from the DA and the police for one. While the lawyers meters still damn running!!!!. Back to the OP question, look into a colt lw commander? Hoping to get one in the new year. Trying to beat an old friend out his.

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 5:59 PM
How do their frames damage tools? Please elaborate. I would hardly consider a beavertail,trigger,hammer and some upgraded internals extensive work... SA CS? Customer service or commanderi/champion size? RIA customer service is by far one of the best around... If your speaking of commander/champion size please do tell why it's any better?

SheepDogHog
12-22-2010, 6:10 PM
Well obviously I would care. It's just my priority is reliability and accuracy over if I will ever see it again (given the situation in which it would needed to be confiscated)...True a glock is pobably more reliable then a bottom end 1911, but you get what you pay for and 1911's aren't cheap! I have a 30+ year old colt that after replacing the extractor when I got it has yet to fail... and paying 1200 for a POS is a problem within itself haha.

ChrisO
12-22-2010, 6:41 PM
A glock will run toe to toe with the highest end 1911 you can find in all fields (it may not fit someones hand as good as a 1911 or vice versa or have a good trigger). 1911's for the most part are way over priced unless you're getting a full custom build ( even for the services offered they are far over priced). Accuracy on most modern pistols you would use for hd,ccw,or whatever reason will be a non issue as most will shoot about the same or damn near close if you put em on a sled. I have had more than one or two issues with high end 1911's more issues than I have had with one of my "Bottom end" 1911's. You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for like I said the point is stuff is way overpriced. Price does not guarantee reliability or accuracy even though for the prices on some 1911's it damn well should.

tacticalcity
12-22-2010, 8:02 PM
Sheep you couldn't care if they took youre property and maybe never got it back? Well we are still waiting word from the DA and the police for one. While the lawyers meters still damn running!!!!. Back to the OP question, look into a colt lw commander? Hoping to get one in the new year. Trying to beat an old friend out his.

Is the LW version on the list? Least expensive Colt Commander I've seen is hoving around the $900 new and $775 used. Too rich for my blood right now. Not the same ballpark as the options I am looking at.