PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any outdoor places to shoot closer then colfax?

kilword
07-24-2006, 1:25 AM
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows and closer open ranges...
im out of the walnut creek/concord area and the closest ones I know are Colfax,panoche hill(closed though),Truckee,and oroville.
Colfax seems to be the closest so far. Does anyone know of any that are closer?
Thanks.

M1A Rifleman
07-24-2006, 1:10 PM
Spenceville Wildlife Area near Yuba City. The area is large, but the range is very close to Lincoln and Camp Far West. I don't have better directions, only been once.

Better locations are off the Mormon Emigrant Trail just beyon Jenkins Lake in the Eldorado National Forest about 50 miles fro Folsom. I found the areas this last weekend. Take hwy 50 to the 2nd Pollack Pines off-ramp, turn right, follow until you make a right on the Mormon Emigrant Trail (MET), cross both dams for Jenkins lake. There are many areas up there that are routinely cleaned by members of a local gun club. A good place is to follow MET until you pass the large USFS info board on your right. Take the 2nd (not gated) right - which is Bonetti Rd. Follow this and you should find at least two locations off of your left. I found two locations that had cables strung for target placement. There were shooters present. I continued on the MET to the North South Rd, where I made a right. Follow this to mile post 6, where you will find road to your left. Take this and it open up to a large rock pit. This is Van Horn Pit. Targets and plates were strung out to about 150 yds.

anotherone
08-08-2006, 1:05 AM
I was under the impression that we wouldn't be talking about those spots in the El Dorado National Forest openly anymore. Please edit or delete the instructions to get there because last time they were posted openly all heck broke lose up there. The last thing we need is more good spots closed down. Not that it matters to me anyhow, I do most of my shooting up in Madera County.

M1A Rifleman
08-08-2006, 7:53 AM
I was under the impression that we wouldn't be talking about those spots in the El Dorado National Forest openly anymore. Please edit or delete the instructions to get there because last time they were posted openly all heck broke lose up there. The last thing we need is more good spots closed down. Not that it matters to me anyhow, I do most of my shooting up in Madera County.

1. This is news to me, as there are no rules as to not posting legal places to shoot.

2. The National Forest is open to all to shoot as there are no designated areas, and any safe spot is a good spot.