View Full Version : Used Handgun Prices

12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
What do you consider a good price for a used handgun relative to what you can pick it up new at a shop for?

Seems like a lot of people list for about 10% less than new + whatever they have added on to it at a slight discount.

Personally I'd rather pay the extra 10% for new, but that's just me.

12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Don't forget ca sales tax too
Another 8% at least

12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
depends on the model......some used firearms are worth more than new ones.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-22-2010, 11:58 AM
seems like a lot of people want about 50 bucks less than what they paid for it
personally i would just buy new

12-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Question is it worth more used if its Off-Roster?

12-22-2010, 12:10 PM
It just depends.

All guns are tools, but some are also objet d'art (especially older revolvers) - fun to photograph (http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/fav_things/favthings04.jpg), collect, research (http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson/dp/089689293X), share (http://smith-wessonforum.com/), etc. Those guns are all used.

As tools, they are gonna get banged up a little, and so, in terms of buying tools - i.e., current production guns - I always keep an eye out for lightly-used guns on consignment shelves.

As an example - just found a Beretta 84FS, with two magazines, and factory box, at Imbert & Smithers on Friday night - for $375 - in very, very nice condition. New they cost minimum $650+ (before transfer fees). I've wanted one for a while and this one presented itself at a price where I couldn't say "no".

12-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Usually, yes.

As an example, Smith & Wesson revolvers from 1960-1991 or so will command a slight premium in California.

Any younger than 1991 and you can buy a near-identical new production gun.

Any older than 1960 and if you have a C&R license you can buy them from outside CA.

12-22-2010, 12:22 PM

it is, but I probably wouldnt dish out the extra $$$! some shady LEO's buy guns and jack up the price just because they know people will pay for it. The average LCP in CA goes for $500 used, and they are $300 new! thats a 66% increase after being used? really? cmon, I was looking at a LCP one time and the LEO had the nerve to tell me that ruger sells them for $500 and thats why he was selling it for that much! LMAO!!!! To me thats just a monopoly, and some LEO are taking advantage of the hard working CA civilian. Dont get me wrong, they have the right to sell what they want at what ever price they want. Ill pay $200 extra on a gun that is more expensive and worth it, but I would never pay 66% more then the MSRP, thats just nuts.

12-22-2010, 1:03 PM
it all depends on who is buying... and who is selling.

12-22-2010, 2:04 PM
I've seen a pawnshop sell abused weapons for more than new price. The 70 year old lever action may be worth it but the new unfired Derringer style .38 at twice the cost elsewhere... nope. Some people amaze me at the value they place on garbage.

12-22-2010, 2:20 PM
I have to laugh at some of the prices in the "used for sale" section.. just a few bucks off new for a used item.

But, it's their freedom to ask whatever amount..

Don't get me started on the whole "off list" markup deal..

12-22-2010, 2:56 PM
Out here we seem to have a lot people buying guns at MSRP from Gander Mountain or Bass Pro so they don't understand the market. Even if you only fired 50 rounds, $550 is not a "smoking deal" on a Glock 17.

12-22-2010, 3:31 PM
IMHO, a used gun should have the same markdown as a used car. It doesn't matter how much you spent or how well you treated, it was used. Nearly all of my guns are used and I got almost all of them for at least 30% off their retail value. The biggest advantage to buying used is that you won't have to pay sales tax and usually there is some extra stuff thrown in. Now if it is a highly sought after, rare to find item, then by all means sell it for whatever you want. Everyone has a right to sell their gun at whatever price they want, however they should not expect anyone to pay anywhere near what they did. Plus you have to ask yourself why are they selling the gun in the first place.

12-22-2010, 3:49 PM
I think that there are too many variables to define a set % either up or down either in price or value on used guns or even new non-list guns. There are some previously owned, but not necessarily used guns that I would love to come across. Some even at what you peeps would term stupid prices.

12-22-2010, 4:07 PM
I don't need another, but I look for 25% off in a used gun in good condition.

IF I need another :D
You know the one >>> LNIB only 5 rounds fired then maybe 15% off would be in the ball park.