PDA

View Full Version : UPS shipping in the Bay Area

jms
12-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Planning to sell some C&R rifles and would like to know if I'll have any problems shipping through UPS. Don't have C&R license anymore but for sure the other end got to have one at least.

Any UPS store suggestions here in the Bay Area that knows exactly how to deal with this issue.

caldude
12-22-2010, 8:33 AM
Ship from the UPS center in San Ramon. I've shipped firearms out of there without any problems. Just follow the UPS instructions for shipping firearms (you can find these online at the UPS site).

paul0660
12-22-2010, 8:42 AM
for sure the other end got to have one at least.

Not if shipping within California. But don't expect your UPS counter person to know that.

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

emcon5
12-22-2010, 8:57 AM
Just went through this a couple months ago, and you need to take it to a service center. I used the one in Sunnyvale.

While the UPS web site does say you can do it with a one time pickup, the reality when trying to schedule one is they will not set one up. The claim was that I needed some stickers on the box, "adult signature required". I asked if I could get the stickers at a local UPS store, and the CS rep said that wouldn't work. No idea what the problem was, but he put me on hold a couple times to consult with supervisors.

That being said, once at the service center, it was really painless. They knew their stuff, and I was in and out in about 5 minutes.

trautert
12-22-2010, 9:15 AM
If you haven't already done so, you might want to open an account online with UPS. This allows you to pre-label your shipments and then all you do is drop it off at the service center. Even faster and more painless.

jms
12-22-2010, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the response. I live here in the east bay and the most convenient for me is the one in Oakland at Pardee st. I've done it once almost 10 years ago, don't know if there would be glitzes specially after 9/11.

Interloper
12-22-2010, 3:14 PM
Not in the Bay Area but I have had zero problems shipping long guns via USPS. USPS seems to be a lot gentler with packages than UPS. I've had guns arrive from UPS with the muzzle sticking out the end, left on the sidewalk in front of the house even though it was sent "adult signature required". Just something to consider. USPS Priority, Adult signature required & delivery confirmation only costs about $25 to go all the way to the East Coast.

TRICKSTER
12-22-2010, 4:33 PM
I only use UPS to ship ammo since USPS wont. Rifles go USPS. Faster and much more convenient than driving to the UPS Hub with its limited hours.