PDA

View Full Version : Air Taser Laws

VeryCoolCat
07-23-2006, 6:41 PM
What are the laws for carry or owning a projectile Tasergun. (Dart shooting taser).

USMC_2651_E5
07-23-2006, 8:08 PM
Off the top of my head, I cant think of anything prohibiting you from owning one or carrying one. There are civilian models that I have seen for sale here in CA. I think I saw the civilian model of the X26 for sale at Turners.

Just make sure, like anything else, that when you use it, it would be reasonable.

These things are great, I call em Eddison Medicine.

xenophobe
07-23-2006, 8:30 PM
You're allowed to own them. There is no prohibition to carrying one concealed. Just be careful when you have to use it. You can get sued.

Joe
07-23-2006, 9:42 PM
IIRC, you can own and carry concealed the air operated tazers but not tazers with any sort of explosion because they are considered firearms and cannot be carried concealed without permits. The tazer must also have a serial number.

VeryCoolCat
07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
The entire basis for me of owning one of these is I don't want to shoot anyone. In a situation where I would have to shoot someone, i.e. someone pulls a knife on me and says give me your money or I wake up and see someone inside my home or running off with my laptop. I really don't want to shoot anyone. I just want to keep myself safe without killing anyone.

When are we going to get phasers & zat guns.

ohsmily
07-23-2006, 11:24 PM
The entire basis for me of owning one of these is I don't want to shoot anyone. In a situation where I would have to shoot someone, i.e. someone pulls a knife on me and says give me your money or I wake up and see someone inside my home or running off with my laptop. I really don't want to shoot anyone. I just want to keep myself safe without killing anyone.

When are we going to get phasers & zat guns.

Be prepared to be sued for using one anyway.

Also note, if you fire the taser and miss, you are SOL....I don't think the taser is a good alternative to CCW unless you can't get a CCW permit and then pepper spray or a stun gun would be better than the air taser. I believe the air taser has a narrow use...uncooperative suspects who you aren't justified in shooting nor do you want to beat up with a baton or get in a hand to hand with them...for the average citizen, these situations won't come up...if they do, get pepper spray or a stun gun...

onley11
07-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Tasers are stun guns, even after they have been fired they still have contact shock probes. And the taser zap is different than a stun gun... Works way better, and you can actually get in a good zap with the leads stuck to someone. It's pretty darn hard to hold a conventional stun gun on someone for 3-5 seconds. I like pepper spray, for cost and convienience, but a motovated person can fight thru it, they can't see, but they can fight. But for 15 bucks instead of 300, I'll have to stick with the seasoning.:)

Joe
07-24-2006, 10:57 AM
stun guns can be had for pretty cheap also

VeryCoolCat
07-24-2006, 10:57 AM
I've been pepper sprayed before. It hurts, but it doesn't completely disable you. I was able to charge him and give him a good tackle after i got a whiff into my face. It wasn't a dead on to the eyes hit. He did it on accident.

It doesn't just hurt your eyes, your face starts to feel like its burning.

Pepper spray helps, but in all honestly, when your pretty pissed you can fight through it.

Actually if your one of those guys who has "freak out" bursting style anger you can easily fight through it and probably get some swings in.

Oh and watch out for wind, a few people around who weren't too close to me got some in their eyes too.

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 1:14 PM
I have a stun gun that I got for 20 bucks, its 150,000 volts. I've been stunned by other ones and this one and I'll tell you that it hurts more than you can imagine. Just "clicking" it is a very effective deterrent. Its pretty intimidating. I don't carry it or anything though.

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 5:34 PM
Stun guns are not Tasers, though the Taser does have a 'stun gun' capability. I have an account with the Taser folks and they've sent me a lot of info, albeit all from in house.

Right now, that I know of, there are no restrictions as far as purchasing or owning. They are not considered firearms.
I know stun guns are not tasers :confused: . When did I say they were one in the same?

blkA4alb
07-24-2006, 6:51 PM
Take it easy there, Bob *****in'. No offense intended.:rolleyes:
No offense taken, just not understanding your post :) .

xenophobe
07-24-2006, 9:31 PM
it's is prohibited in educational institutions such as K-12, junior high, high school and colleges. It may sound like not that much, but the University of California owns quite a bit of land and you have to watch where you are to not be on "school grounds". For example in my county, if you hike in the wilder ranch area up to highway 9 in Snata Cruz, there is a good chance that you are on UC property. it goes without saying that if you are caught with one in those areas it's a felony.

Thanks for the very important info..

xenophobe
07-24-2006, 9:34 PM
I have a stun gun that I got for 20 bucks, its 150,000 volts. I've been stunned by other ones and this one and I'll tell you that it hurts more than you can imagine. Just "clicking" it is a very effective deterrent. Its pretty intimidating. I don't carry it or anything though.

Stun guns are generally no good other than deterrent.

With a stun gun you need to grapple your opponent, and keep an electrical device on them for several seconds to knock someone down and out of it... thick clothing is no good, and for self defence, if it comes time to use it, a girl or someone smaller will easily be overcome by a larger person.

It works only if you can overtake the person attacking you for several seconds, and a good contact.... Well, unless they're irrationally afraid of one.

socalguns
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Actually if your one of those guys who has "freak out" bursting style anger you can easily fight through it and probably get some swings in.
Huuuh? What other kind of anger is there? :D

socalguns
07-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Tasers are stun guns, even after they have been fired they still have contact shock probes. And the taser zap is different than a stun gun... Works way better, and you can actually get in a good zap with the leads stuck to someone. It's pretty darn hard to hold a conventional stun gun on someone for 3-5 seconds. I like pepper spray, for cost and convienience, but a motovated person can fight thru it, they can't see, but they can fight. But for 15 bucks instead of 300, I'll have to stick with the seasoning.:)

15 bucks for pepper spray? WOW, ripoff.
I'll stick with my $1-bottle and spray-bottle top :)

Matt C
08-15-2006, 2:29 PM
Thanks for the very important info..

It's also very wrong info. Tasers(and stun guns) are only prohibited in k-12, not colleges, same as pocket folders over 2/12 inches. Here is the relevent PC:

626.10. (a) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as
defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of
Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the
federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this
state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests
or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in
assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this
state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his
or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick,
knife having a blade longer than 21/2 inches, folding knife with a
blade that locks into place, a razor with an unguarded blade, a
taser, or a stun gun, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 244.5,