PDA

View Full Version : primer seating issues?

Kerplow
12-21-2010, 7:09 PM
Im using an RCBS hand priming tool (which can be a pain in the butt sometimes) and i've noticed some of my primers aren't seating squarely. they are all below deck, but some are slightly higher on one side and have a visible mark from the seating pin. after watching the seating pin it appears as though it is favoring one side of the plastic feeder/pin guide. the does not appear to be bent. are these primers an issue? can i still run them? any suggestions for sorting out the tool, or is this normal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/TURD_VESSEL/primer.jpg

slopoke
12-21-2010, 7:14 PM
It looks as if the brass you had a problem with had a crimped primer. Did you remove the crimp? Was the primer hard to seat?

stphnman20
12-21-2010, 7:15 PM
Either your pressing to hard or your not completely removing the primer crimp.

Kerplow
12-21-2010, 7:16 PM
It looks as if the brass you had a problem had a crimped primer. Did you remove the crimp? Was the primer hard to seat?

crimped primer as in military brass? shouldnt be, the brass is wally world federal 100 pack.

Oceanbob
12-21-2010, 7:16 PM
Did you remove the crimp?

And no, you can't run primers that stick out like that...boom...

Oceanbob
12-21-2010, 7:19 PM
crimped primer as in military brass? shouldnt be, the brass is wally world federal 100 pack.

Maybe you should run the empty brass thru a decrimping die first.?

I suspect the primer pocket is somewhat tight; regardless of being Federal Brass.

slopoke

Look at the ring around the primer pocket. Looks like a stake mark aka crimp to me.

Kerplow
i thought primer crimp was only an issue with military brass. am i mistaken? where does the "boom" factor come into play?

Oceanbob
12-21-2010, 7:21 PM
i thought primer crimp was only an issue with military brass. am i mistaken? where does the "boom" factor come into play?

Happens when a primer that is not flush get's wacked by the bolt or slide face. Almost like hitting a cap. Could happen.

GeoffLinder
12-21-2010, 7:24 PM
That's crimped primer brass fer' sure and it does not look like this brass has had the crimp ring swaged or reamed out from what I can see. This makes primers hard to get to seat straight sometimes

The RCBS hand priming system is the bomb for doing primer seating because it has such a good feel for seating point.

Buy a primer pocket swager if you have a lot of this stuff, or just ream the crimp ring off with a 45 degree deburring tool. The 45 degree lead from the reaming method always makes primer seat like butter and I prefer fixin' brass this way if they were crimped.

One more thought here, is the top of your primer seating punch damaged as in "not flat and square"? If it's OK, then is it possible that you are not operating the system gently enuff and the primers are bouncing as they get punched in place? Primer seating should be done firmly, yet softly and with a bit of finesse

Hope this helps :-)

Kerplow
12-21-2010, 7:24 PM
Happens when a primer that is not flush get's wacked by the bolt or slide face. Almost like hitting a cap. Could happen.

they are all seated below the case head.

Oceanbob
12-21-2010, 7:30 PM
they are all seated below the case head.

Below is fine.

Kerplow
12-21-2010, 7:36 PM
That's crimped primer brass fer' sure and it does not look like this brass has had the crimp ring swaged or reamed out.

The RCBS hand priming system is the bomb for doing primer seating because it has such a good feel for seating point.

The only way this happens here IMO is the brass needs fixin.

Buy a primer pocket swager if you have a lot of this stuff, or just ream the crimp ring off with a 45 degree deburring tool.

One more thought here, is the top of your primer seating punch damaged as in "not flat and square"?

Bullocks all around. i thought crimped primers had 3 little stake marks around the primer. i also thought only military brass had crimped primers.

so, I've got about 50 rounds loaded like this. they dont all look as bad as the one in the picture, and the primers are definitely all seated below the case head. whats to consensus on this, not safe to shoot? is it time to buy a bullet puller? if the rounds aren't safe to shoot i dont see myself salvaging the brass considering i wont be able to shoot out the primers.

I've got an RCBS primer pocket swager combo part#09495. im not sure how exactly to use it, and i dont have the instructions. 99% of my reloading tools were given to me.

sequoia_nomad
12-21-2010, 7:39 PM
It is definitely crimped. FWIW I've heard that some commercial Federal brass is crimped.

sequoia_nomad
12-21-2010, 7:43 PM
Instructions for primer pocket swager here:
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Priming_Tools_and_Accessories_Instructions.pdf

GeoffLinder
12-21-2010, 8:26 PM
If the primers are below case head, then go ahead and shoot them off at a range, recover the brass, fix primer pockets (swage or ream crimp ring out) and you and this brass will be fine.

Kerplow
12-21-2010, 8:43 PM
thanks for the help, guys. i got the swager out and learning how to use it. guess maybe its time to switch to a different brand of plinking ammo for my case supply. i dont want to have to swage the primer pockets on all my once fired brass. i'll do it to the supply i have now, but from here on out its no more federal wally world ammo unless im in a serious pinch!

stewiegriffin
12-23-2010, 7:08 PM
I've used a RCBS hand primer for hundreds of rounds. Be sure there aren't any copper "splinters" or shavings in, around, or on the priming ram pin.

freonr22
12-23-2010, 7:21 PM
counter sink in a drill press

mjsweims
12-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I use an RCBS hand primer with no issues.
Are you using the right end of the priming rod - flat not rounded?
Are you using the correct plastic inser and rod combination?

bubbapug1
12-25-2010, 4:29 PM
Thats definitly crimped brass. Most 5.56 is crimped, military or not.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/crimpedbrass.jpg

Kerplow
12-26-2010, 6:45 PM
so i went and blasted off all those rounds today. all went well, no OBD action. my primer tool seems to be having problems though, as it is still denting primers on non-crimped brass. seems to be riding one side, really hard.

bruce381
12-26-2010, 9:53 PM
If the primers are below case head, then go ahead and shoot them off at a range, recover the brass, fix primer pockets (swage or ream crimp ring out) and you and this brass will be fine.

Yeah +1 live and learn

bruce381
12-26-2010, 9:54 PM
My RCBS Press does that I always figured it was old age cause they all go boom but I lloked at the seating punch and it does "lean" a little Guess I need a new primer arm.

J-cat
12-27-2010, 7:44 AM
Maybe the shell holder and the primer ram went out of alignment and only the edge of the ram is catching the primers? Or maybe you used the small primer ram with the large primers?

Desert_Rat
12-27-2010, 10:27 AM

^^ This ^^

Remove crimp,verify these few points and You'll be GTG.

Kerplow
12-27-2010, 11:41 AM

definitely using the right (flat) end of the priming rod. I'm using the smaller plastic insert and the larger priming rod will not fit through it, so i don't think that is the problem. I'm using small rifle primers.

Maybe the shell holder and the primer ram went out of alignment and only the edge of the ram is catching the primers? Or maybe you used the small primer ram with the large primers?

it seems more like the ram is out of alignment with its own bore. it's riding hard on one side and pushes against the plastic bushing as i work it.

Desert_Rat
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I just disassembled mine. What I noticed is that there is two different size "sockets" in the piece that pushes the ram up. The piece I'm talking about is the one underneath the spirng. The larger socket goes towards the bottom of the tool and the smaller one goes to the top where the ram will sit. I assembled it the "wrong way" and it seems to require more effort to cycle,but not much. Also are Your plastic bushings damaged? How is the little arc shaped bar that slides back and fourth,is it damaged/bent? Ensure that the ball end of the actuating rod is in the socket of the bottom piece under the spring. Maybe it's just worn out too.
Just thinking out loud here.

Kerplow
12-27-2010, 5:42 PM
I just disassembled mine. What I noticed is that there is two different size "sockets" in the piece that pushes the ram up. The piece I'm talking about is the one underneath the spirng. The larger socket goes towards the bottom of the tool and the smaller one goes to the top where the ram will sit. I assembled it the "wrong way" and it seems to require more effort to cycle,but not much. Also are Your plastic bushings damaged? How is the little arc shaped bar that slides back and fourth,is it damaged/bent? Ensure that the ball end of the actuating rod is in the socket of the bottom piece under the spring. Maybe it's just worn out too.
Just thinking out loud here.

everything pretty much looks like it's in good shape. I called RCBS today and they are sending me some new parts pro-bono. :)