PDA

View Full Version : Sony NEX - 5

hollowpoint
12-21-2010, 6:56 PM
I have been wanting a Digital SLR BUT don't want all that bulk. I have been looking into the Sony NEX 5 and was wondering if anyone has input on this "HYBRID" camera. Photo quality, does it compare?

The Original Godfather
12-21-2010, 6:57 PM
Don't have much input, but thought it was pretty cool that you posted this thread right when I posted my poll for digital cameras :)

hollowpoint
12-21-2010, 7:01 PM
Don't have much input, but thought it was pretty cool that you posted this thread right when I posted my poll for digital cameras :)

Oh man I'm sorry, didn't mean to thread jack I didn't even realize this thread was up when I posted.

The Original Godfather
12-21-2010, 7:16 PM
:)

They're two different specific subjects, post away ;)

On a sidenote, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 is cheaper but has better reviews than the Sony NEX 5. Take a look :)

RRangel
12-22-2010, 6:19 PM
There are plenty of reviews out there. Just do a search. These new Four Thirds cameras are very pricey. Though they're very conveniently small and handy if you don't want to lug around a bigger DSLR. The sensors are big, but not as good as a DSLR. ISO suffers as to be expected.

If you're interested, you can buy a smallish Nikon D3100 for near $700, which is just about the best entry level DSLR right now. The reviews on the new D3100 show ISO performance really close to top cameras like a D3, which is nuts. Which goes to prove that the latest cameras are getting better and better for less cost.

DirtNapKing
12-22-2010, 7:52 PM
There are plenty of reviews out there. Just do a search. These new Four Thirds cameras are very pricey. Though they're very conveniently small and handy if you don't want to lug around a bigger DSLR. The sensors are big, but not as good as a DSLR. ISO suffers as to be expected.

If you're interested, you can buy a smallish Nikon D3100 for near $700, which is just about the best entry level DSLR right now. The reviews on the new D3100 show ISO performance really close to top cameras like a D3, which is nuts. Which goes to prove that the latest cameras are getting better and better for less cost.
Totally regret jumping on the Canon bandwagon years back when I had to have a an Xti Rebel at 10mp. Some days I just want to chuck it into a pond with all my golf clubs.

JDay
12-24-2010, 5:45 PM
For the price of the NEX5 you'd be better off buying a DSLR that comes with a lens. Newegg has the Canon EOS Rebel XS and 18-55mm lens for $499. The NEX5 doesn't even have an actual viewfinder, using the LCD will always leads to bad pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120278

JDay
12-24-2010, 5:47 PM
Totally regret jumping on the Canon bandwagon years back when I had to have a an Xti Rebel at 10mp. Some days I just want to chuck it into a pond with all my golf clubs.

There is nothing wrong with Canon's products, perhaps you just aren't using it correctly?

RRangel
12-24-2010, 5:59 PM
For the price of the NEX5 you'd be better off buying a DSLR that comes with a lens. Newegg has the Canon EOS Rebel XS and 18-55mm lens for $499. The NEX5 doesn't even have an actual viewfinder, using the LCD will always leads to bad pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120278

That's all the rage today because it eliminates size and weight. When you remove the lens you're staring at a sensor. Some of the Four Thirds cameras come with add on viewfinders but you still can't see through the lens. The intended purpose of these new systems is their SLR like features in a very compact package. Which is perfect for people that refuse to carry an SLR. Though I still can't get over the prices.

JDay
12-24-2010, 7:59 PM
That's all the rage today because it eliminates size and weight. When you remove the lens you're staring at a sensor. Some of the Four Thirds cameras come with add on viewfinders but you still can't see through the lens. The intended purpose of these new systems is their SLR like features in a very compact package. Which is perfect for people that refuse to carry an SLR. Though I still can't get over the prices.

You can get a better point-and-shoot with DSLR features for much less, these things are a ripoff. The viewfinder that comes standard on DSLR cameras also does indeed look through the lens, you need only check the spec sheets to verify this. About the only reason to get one of these overpriced cameras is if you need a compact backup for your DSLR, and in that case it's doubtful that you would be able to use the same lenses.