PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting Panoche hills near hollister

starin
12-21-2010, 6:06 PM
Hey there, so few questions, has anyone gone coyote hunting in Panoche blm land? My friend wants to go out there next week possibly but dont know if anyone has ever had luck out there? whats the terrain like and what to watch out for? we will be heading there from hollister.
thanks all

mecam
12-21-2010, 8:57 PM
You have to go on a weekday when nobody is there from 8am to 11am, Weekends are too busy and noisy and Coyote will not come. I've called in three within 5 minutes of calling in two separate weekday visits. Both around 9ish in the morn back in end of October. All three came in from a Cottontail distress call.

starin
12-21-2010, 9:29 PM
thank ya kindly sir, we were planning on going on thursday. any particular spots you can recommend?

mecam
12-21-2010, 9:50 PM
thank ya kindly sir, we were planning on going on thursday. any particular spots you can recommend?

Go to the flat areas, stay away from steep hills. ;) Panoche is pretty wide open, no thick brush nor big trees like the national forests. Keep your vehicle out of sight, setup in front of a bush with full faced camo blending in real well with the sun behind you. I've had success using Mossy Oak Break Up Infinity pattern. Don't put on any deoderants, colognes, etc. Don't even use any mouth wash that day. Coyotes there are really sensitve compared to other places I've been to. They smell you or detect motion, they are gone.

-

ALLOUTIND
12-21-2010, 9:58 PM
Good info....
what side do you guys go in from? i go in at panoche rd exit off of hwy 5.
anyone see yotes over there?

mecam
12-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Good info....
what side do you guys go in from? i go in at panoche rd exit off of hwy 5.
anyone see yotes over there?

There's only one main entrance to Panoche and can be accessed from Hwy 5 or Hwy 25/J1. Coming from Hwy 5 is the faster route. There is a Northern gate near Hwy 5 but you will be trespassing thru the Orchards to even get there and that gate is locked most of the time.

-

Rude Robert
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, someone who actually helps people find a spot that is cool. Its to far for me but cool none the less. Good luck out there. Hey, is that lead free area? If so can you use lead for the yotes? thx Robert

CACitUP
12-22-2010, 3:47 AM
I will be working with my dog out there on Thursday....try not to shoot us ;)

mecam
12-22-2010, 5:59 AM
Wow, someone who actually helps people find a spot that is cool. Its to far for me but cool none the less. Good luck out there. Hey, is that lead free area? If so can you use lead for the yotes? thx Robert

It's lead free, no exceptions to varmints or yotes.

I will be working with my dog out there on Thursday....try not to shoot us ;)

Yeah, watch out for what's beyond your firing path. There are lots of trails/roads everywhere. Just make sure there is a backstop at the other end from where you're gonna be setting up.

-

ALLOUTIND
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
There are two spots i normally enter off of hyw 5. One may be tummey hills but both are a few miles from each other.

Shoot-it
12-22-2010, 4:41 PM
Off of I-5 i think the road is springs something can't remember.

I called once but nothing came in to many people running around.

ALLOUTIND
12-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Valley springs ? and then panoche rd.

starin
12-23-2010, 7:40 PM
welp we decided to go today, we parked our car away from our area and as i was hiking up the other side of a ridge around 8 am i saw a little coyote run, thats the only luck we had. My friend and I were both dressed in mossy oak. we had a quiver critter decoy. and used several rabbit in distress calls but unfortunately after spending the whole day there and spending the whole day. no luck. one thing i have to say is the area is full of wayyyyyy to many people even for a thursday. there was a gang of hand gun shooter about 2 miles from us, and a group of people with shotguns blasting away. and a pair of people birdhunting. there was pretty much no way in hell anything would come in a area that sounded like a war zone. also there is a fork in the road, one leads to huge canyons the other up in the hills. the only semi flat gullies i saw were up near the 2nd gate where all the people were blasting away. oh well.

mecam
12-23-2010, 7:58 PM
welp we decided to go today, we parked our car away from our area and as i was hiking up the other side of a ridge around 8 am i saw a little coyote run, thats the only luck we had. My friend and I were both dressed in mossy oak. we had a quiver critter decoy. and used several rabbit in distress calls but unfortunately after spending the whole day there and spending the whole day. no luck. one thing i have to say is the area is full of wayyyyyy to many people even for a thursday. there was a gang of hand gun shooter about 2 miles from us, and a group of people with shotguns blasting away. and a pair of people birdhunting. there was pretty much no way in hell anything would come in a area that sounded like a war zone. also there is a fork in the road, one leads to huge canyons the other up in the hills. the only semi flat gullies i saw were up near the 2nd gate where all the people were blasting away. oh well.

Definitely a bad day for coyote hunting. If I even see one person shooting within a few thousand yards, I won't even setup, that area is done for the day. Also, don't stay in an area for more than 30minutes of calling. 100% of my calls came in less than 10 minutes of calling.

Tumey Hills is another area you should check out. It's about ~5 miles South of Panoche on Hwy 5. I like the southern gate entrance on Panoche rd.

-

CACitUP
12-23-2010, 8:00 PM
Thats not unusual for that area. I have hunted it for 20 years and its always been fairly crowded this time of year. I dont hunt coyote so I know nothing about the season, if allowed I would recommend going back when bird season is closed. Also, make sure you are there early, at sun up, that will help alot. The Y to the left is just a big loop and if you keep to the right the road will take you to the other (South) side of the property. You will probably need 4WD if you go deep into the back side.

starin
12-23-2010, 8:30 PM
oh ok i see, yea next time i see people im out of there, sucks, do you guys have any suggestions where else to go? ive been trying to talk to cattle ranchers asking them if they have any coyote problems but everyone is pretty standoffish but its understandable, lots of liability. any other blm land you can suggest near hollister?

Shoot-it
12-24-2010, 8:30 AM
Don't give up asking .You will get permission it just takes time.
Look for orchards to and farm land.

The only other placed that comes to mind is upper and lower cotton would by San Luis reservoir.

So is New idra access closed to?
I have not been that way for years.

jawbreaker
12-24-2010, 5:55 PM
Definitely a bad day for coyote hunting. If I even see one person shooting within a few thousand yards, I won't even setup, that area is done for the day. Also, don't stay in an area for more than 30minutes of calling. 100% of my calls came in less than 10 minutes of calling.

Tumey Hills is another area you should check out. It's about ~5 miles South of Panoche on Hwy 5. I like the southern gate entrance on Panoche rd.

-

I used to think the same thing until me and Marcelo wanted to call an area and someone was target shooting about 500yrds away. The place looked good so we tryed anyways and ended up calling in a triple. If people shoot there all the time then give it a try, you might be suprised.

starin
12-24-2010, 6:21 PM
yea i guess ill just keep trying the blm land. oh well.

mecam
12-24-2010, 6:33 PM
I used to think the same thing until me and Marcelo wanted to call an area and someone was target shooting about 500yrds away. The place looked good so we tryed anyways and ended up calling in a triple. If people shoot there all the time then give it a try, you might be suprised.

You guys were probably near a coyote den. :)

-

ALLOUTIND
12-25-2010, 9:43 AM
I went to the panoche rd exit off of hwy on thursday.It was so muddy we had to drive in 4x4 just to get to the 2nd gate. No Varmints but did some great shooting.

T O Double D
03-08-2011, 4:28 PM
So is New idra access closed to?
I have not been that way for years.

The county road through New Idria is open all the way through Clear Creek to Los Gatos Rd. However Clear Creek itself is closed to everybody at the moment and has been since 2008. The BLM is worried about asbestous, but most of us dirtbikers aren't buying it and think there are other reasons for the closure. If you go out there stay on the main road, R1, as it's basicaly the only thing open through Clear Creek. You're risking a fine and further damage to the cause of opening CC back up if you're caught by the BLM rangers off the county road. Unfortunatly this means no stopping and shooting, camping, etc... It will drive you nuts as there's tons of great places out there for anything a red blooded American could want to do.

Cheers!