PDA

View Full Version : Would you take pity on such a milsurp?

Palimino Stripe
12-21-2010, 6:58 PM
Ok- I have a purely HYPOTHETICAL question for your guys...

Lets say you know of a semi-rare rifle (for example a Russian M91 or maybe a German Gewehr 98). It is for sale for only $100! The only problem is someone semi-sporterized it; It is in a sporter stock & the only other modification is that the barrel has been shortened by a few inches. NOW, lets say you happen to have a spare M38 stock to make a mock Czech 91/38... or a K98 stock (in the Gew 98 example). You basically have all the parts to make a 'mock' shortened verion of the rifle. All that would need to be done is to further cut down the barrel, recrown it, and reattch the front stight.

Keep in mind- in both hypothetical cases- Many German Gew 98's were cut down to make K98's in the early 1930's, and Czech's used cut-down M91's- so it wouldn't be completely inaccurate to have a cut-down example...

So I ask:

Would you take pity on the poor thing and give it some dignity by making it 'military' again, or would you pass & let someone else sporter it more?

-Palimino

Flyin Brian
12-21-2010, 7:24 PM
My own personal rule is to pass on any project rifles where the barrel has been cut. Your project sounds like a good plan, but for me the barrel chop is where I draw the line.

Palimino Stripe
12-21-2010, 7:54 PM
My own personal rule is to pass on any project rifles where the barrel has been cut. Your project sounds like a good plan, but for me the barrel chop is where I draw the line.

Normally I would agree with you 100%... Except like I said I would require a (relatively) minimal amount of work to make it an 'honest' milsurp again... especially if all the parts (& stock) is available...

Ok- 'the cat is out of the bag'- this hypothetical milsurp does exist- and I guess the only thing I'm wondering is if it is worth the hassle of finding (& paying) a gunsmith to shorten, crown, & reattach the sight the barrel...

-Palimino

P.s. It really sucks because the barrel has been shortened by only 4.5 inches. AUGH! If only whoever cut it had left it alone- I could have replaced its sock easily & had a very desirable [long] rifle for cheap :(...

SVT_Fox
12-21-2010, 8:37 PM
Offer him 50 tops

Saigon1965
12-21-2010, 8:58 PM
Sure why not - After you'd acquired the weapon give us some pics -

hk91666
12-21-2010, 9:01 PM
Attaching the front sight can be a challenge. I purchased a G.24(t) that had been Bubba'd instead of taking/sweating the front sight mount off the bubba cut it now the barrel is 1.5 inches too short never get a bayonet to fit. Also the barrel wil have to be turned down 0.010 inches in order for the Czech vz front sight to fit.

I found everything I need but am collecting funds to get the barrel turned down, recrowned, and front sight mounted. all will be a good copy of original. And no I will not replace the barrel as the barrel and receiver have waffenampts eagles and swastikas and matching numbers. The G.24(t) will never be worth what an original is worth but I got it for a very reasonable price. and after all it is a G.24(t) as I collect Vz.24 series.

My two cents. Restoring is a labor of love for the rifle.

See before and now pics.

Haggar85
12-21-2010, 9:15 PM
my vote is yes.

Interloper
12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I can't see any reason to object...as long as you never try to pass it off as an original. Once the barrel has been cut on these old soldiers there is only so much you can do for them in the way of restoration. I would rather see one turned into a reproduction than live in shame and dishonor as a Bubba special.

edit to add:
Several "lost puppies" have followed me home. The idea being to restore them to their original condition. I'm trying to resist the temptation from now on since it usually doesn't make economic sense and is just a labor of love.

OHOD
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I can't see any reason to object...as long as you never try to pass it off as an original. Once the barrel has been cut on these old soldiers there is only so much you can do for them in the way of restoration. I would rather see one turned into a reproduction than live in shame and dishonor as a Bubba special.

I like what Interloper said. Bubba needs to let go. Try to get it at least looking like a comparable model rifle. If you sell it in the future, be straight up on the story. In fact, before and after pictures and other paper work might make the rifle an interesting conversation piece with a unique history.

mosinnagantm9130
12-21-2010, 11:15 PM

This is my rule as well, but I guess if the rifle was calling me, and if the price was just right, I'd consider breaking my rule.

Palimino Stripe
12-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I need another project like I need a punch to the face... But I'm finding it hard to resist this one. I'm pretty sure it's a WWI bringback. :(

I don't think I would ever want to get rid of it, but if I did- I'm an honest guy; I would never try to pass it off as something it's not...

Like I said though- this type of rifle was cut down by military arsenals to carbine length. So it wouldn't exactly be a 'fantasy' piece.

And I am the type of guy to do this sort of thing as a labor of love...

hmmm...

runawayshawn
12-28-2010, 4:22 PM
if its cheap and you got the parts to bring it back close to its former glory go for it. If you will have fun shooting it then its worth it.

Khram
12-28-2010, 4:24 PM
Barrel chop equals a $50-75 at most rifle to me with most milsurps.

laika
12-28-2010, 4:46 PM
My guess is you rescue it. Keep us up to date with the progress in turning it back to a non-Bubba, post pics and I hope it's a great shooter.

you hear it whispering your name!

Haggar85
12-28-2010, 5:11 PM
is it one of those arsenal chopped down early mausers that were made into k98 configuration?

fal_762x51
12-28-2010, 5:26 PM
Well if you do start, you'll end up trying to save them all. From a fellow military surplus foster parent, do it. :D

Palimino Stripe
12-28-2010, 7:02 PM
I went ahead & bought it. :rolleyes:

Pictures will be posted in due time ;)

-Palimino

laika
12-28-2010, 7:11 PM
Congrats and do keep us up on things!

Oh and BTW the 1931/rebadged 32 91/30 you sold me is doing well and well loved, guess it made room in the safe for this orphan - good thing all around!

gasol1ne
12-28-2010, 8:21 PM
i say go for it.

im working in unsportirizing a k31 right now. i have everything i need except a beech forearm cover.

Palimino Stripe
12-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Congrats and do keep us up on things!

Oh and BTW the 1931/rebadged 32 91/30 you sold me is doing well and well loved, guess it made room in the safe for this orphan - good thing all around!

Thanks! And I'm glad to hear the Mosin is getting the love & attention it deserves :) It was definitely one of the nicest 91/30's I've owned...

And thanks to everyone else who voiced their opinions (pro and con).

...Now, I don't suppose anyone knows a gunsmith in SoCal who would do a good job without breaking the bank?

-Palimino

GuyW
12-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Dang - I could use a _good_ Bubba'd $50 rifle as a deer / hog gun for my daughter....

Palimino Stripe
12-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Dang - I could use a _good_ Bubba'd $50 rifle as a deer / hog gun for my daughter....

Buy a refurb 1942 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant 91/30 (approx. $80) and knock yourself out. Or better yet- keep your eyes peeled; Sporterizing milsurps is the process of taking a $100 (or more) rifle- spending $75, and ending up with a $50 rifle. Hence- pre-sporterized rifles are out there and cheap.

[Edit] No offense intended- I'm just sayin'

-Palimino

Markus
12-29-2010, 3:05 AM
yes very much so however you get some bubbas who link their custom mosins on here and are wanting to be paid extra for the hackjob they did.

finloq
12-29-2010, 5:40 AM
If I wanted a bubba gun, I would...nah, I don't want a bubba gun and I definetely would not want to become a bubba gun maker. :chef:
The barrel would be the clincher for me. At this point, I would only consider it for a parts gun.

laika
12-29-2010, 8:30 AM

Rguns has bare action/barrels, nice quality I hear, you can buy one and drop it into a monte carlo stock and you won't be tearing up a'43 Ishveshk even and save money.

Just a thought. As we all know, our rifles are ours to bubba or not once we buy them, not starting a problem here I hope.

BHP FAN
12-29-2010, 8:36 AM
If you can save it, you should.

laika
12-29-2010, 8:53 AM
:) How I see it

WW2Buff
12-29-2010, 2:13 PM

This. I only restore them if the stock has been messed with or the altered parts are swappable. -Ben

olhunter
12-29-2010, 2:47 PM
I went ahead & bought it.

lol.....You knew you were going to buy it. You just wanted us to help you feel better about it. :D

Palimino Stripe
12-29-2010, 4:22 PM
lol.....You knew you were going to buy it. You just wanted us to help you feel better about it. :D

Guilty as charged :o :rolleyes:

hk91666
12-29-2010, 7:09 PM
Guilty as charged :o :rolleyes:

Well then do you feel better? LOL!

saki302
12-30-2010, 3:38 AM
A cheap bubba project is a good excuse to learn to do it yourself and not risk destroying something really expensive :)

-Dave

SanPedroShooter
12-31-2010, 5:37 AM
I bet he bought it before he even put up the first post...:)

finloq
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Cheeky Monkey.
:euro:

hawk81
12-31-2010, 3:52 PM
Pass, it has been permanently ruined forever.