PDA

View Full Version : Cali Legal OLL AK-47 Clarifications

datapusher
07-22-2006, 5:05 PM
A few questions if I may. Through my reading here, I want to clarify a few fuzzy points I have regarding the legality of having a California Legal AK.

1) With my build, I have an option to either go:
- detachable mag/no pistol grip
- pistol grip/fixed mag

2) Are there any other "evil features" besides the pistol grip that can be added if I go the fixed magazine route?

3) I must purchase the lower and have it shipped to an FFL, however the parts kit can be bought from anyone and shipped direct to me.

4) When I purchase my parts kit, I need to make sure that a certain number of the parts are Made in the USA. Is this correct? If so, if I am purchasing a Romanian or Polish parts kit for example, I will have some extra parts lying around since I will need to replace some of the components with American parts?

5) Are there any pctures of forum members completed builds that are cali legal?

Thank you

10K2HVN
07-22-2006, 5:30 PM
1) a - No flash hinder, no folding/telescoping stock, no forward pistol grip.

2) Flash hinder, foward pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock (as long as it stays over 30 inches long when collapse / 30" for semi; 26" for bolt/lever/pump/etc action)

3) Correct; or you can buy an 80% reciever, ship directly to you, and finish yourself.

4) Its doesnt matter how many US-made parts you have. What matters is you cannot have more then 10-imported parts on each build.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

5) (and all the quesions above) can be found by searching....

Charliegone
07-22-2006, 7:47 PM
1) a - No flash hinder, no folding/telescoping stock, no forward pistol grip.

2) Flash hinder, foward pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock (as long as it stays over 30 inches long when collapse / 30" for semi; 26" for bolt/lever/pump/etc action)

3) Correct; or you can buy an 80% reciever, ship directly to you, and finish yourself.

4) Its doesnt matter how many US-made parts you have. What matters is you cannot have more then 10-imported parts on each build.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

5) (and all the quesions above) can be found by searching....

I would stay away from home made receivers as it is a grey area (or rather grey enough) that it MIGHT not fall under Harrot's protection. But...if you wanna take a risk..

JPglee1
07-22-2006, 7:50 PM
I would stay away from home made receivers as it is a grey area (or rather grey enough) that it MIGHT not fall under Harrot's protection. But...if you wanna take a risk..

Just make sure to mark it as to manufacturer (your name or made up company name) and city/state and caliber... Provide a Serial Number as well. I would use your last 4 digits of your SSN and the date the gun was made (5555-072106)

Its not required but it is prudent in doing so.

Once you have done these things, the 80% receiver is just as legal as a Nodakspud or any other offlist receiver, and is able to be legally transfered down the road as well (OCCASIONAL selling of 80% is OK, not as a business however)

J

inda_bebe
10-17-2007, 7:18 PM
are pistol ak's legal here?

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 7:30 PM
Yes, Wow, necro thread resurection.

The only reason we can't easily get them is

A) because of the drop safety test, no one wants to submit one for testing, this can be circumvented by converting it to a single shot prior to it being DROS'd

B) because production models have evil features (detachable mag outside of the pistol grip etc.) however these issues go away with a pinned mag.

inda_bebe
10-17-2007, 7:44 PM
how would you load the mag? do you got to take the top off and load it? i was gonna build a ak rifle but after looking around, i saw some really nice ones.

regarding the pinned mag, an AK PISTOL, if we used a ak bullet button, then would it be illegal?

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 7:46 PM
You can use a bolt hold open safety lever and load it through the ejection port with the bolt locked back. or you can use a bullet button to remove the magazine load it and re-attach it. (this is the route most people go)

Remember you can only use a 10 round mag with a pinned magazine setup, if you attach anything larger it becomes an instant AW

aplinker
10-17-2007, 9:30 PM
I think it might be worthwhile to suggest searching, since there have been at least 5 active AR/AK pistol legality/how-to threads in the past week.

jumbopanda has a good one, with pics even.

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 9:52 PM
I think these keep showing up because we're currently at the tip of a new OLL craze (pistols are going to be the next 'must have' thing)

I believe he did use the search, he just looked for the wrong stuff (this thread is a year old)